Home

JoshC1977's Madden 20 CFM-only Sliders (User vs CPU Only)

This is a discussion on JoshC1977's Madden 20 CFM-only Sliders (User vs CPU Only) within the Madden NFL Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders
Top 5 NES Sports Games That Still Hold Up Today
Should Casual Fans Buy NHL 20 While Itís On Sale?
Fight Night Round 3 Video: Father Takes on Son in Boxing Game That Defined an Era
What game would you most like to see return next-gen? -- Click here to cast your vote now!

Old 08-26-2019, 04:45 PM   #489
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: JoshC1977's Madden 20 CFM-only Sliders (User vs CPU Only)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeism89
Can injuries be turned off in settings while keeping it at 50? Or will that still negatively affect gameplay?
I've not tested. Based on experiences with the injury SLIDER turned to 0, my feeling is that it could make the CPU play 'soft' (like CPU RBs not giving effort on runs, QBs checking-down a lot, etc.). Give it a shot and see...what I mentioned above will be the quick measures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muelly
Iíll also add that I find it easier to run with quicker backs, it feels the space I have to work with on the edge is large.
This is exactly the little detail I like to hear about. You're right that Madden is always like that to a degree...and if we're talking about getting to the edge being a overpowered (independent of one's stick skills), it's one of two things.

- Threshold is 'off'. Now, it can either be too high (allowing O-line to get outside too quickly based on ratings) or too low (allowing the back to outsprint everyone) and from my experiences, if it IS off, it isn't by much.
- There are pursuit issues (which can stem from a huge number of causes). I'm going to be honest, if there truly is an issue, I'd bet money that this is the culprit.

I'll pay attention as I continue my franchises and see if anything sticks out.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:25 PM   #490
MVP

OVR: 6

Game is playing like an absolute dream for me. EA knocked it out the park, IMO. The addition of xfactor and superstar has completely changed the dynamic for me. You really feel and see player ratings and skill sets come to light.

Josh has optimized that feeling with these adjustments. I think the improvement to pass defense for both user and CPU is evident vs default. A full range of animations play out in the pass game.

The run game. It’s... good. There is a really nice push off the ball for both teams, and if the runner is decisive there are plenty of yards to be had. With that said, I think there is a slight hesitation from CPU LB’s to react and shut the door, so to speak. I wish there was a HAIR more congestion at the 2nd level. As a user, I’m able to manually shut the door by controlling a player. So I do think more so a CPU issue.

I’m 5 games in on the OP set, so a lot more game action to see before considering adjustments, but something to keep an eye on.

Really happy to have a football game that is keeping me coming back. I can see myself keeping the franchise going even when FIFA comes out!
Old 08-27-2019, 10:24 AM   #491
Pro

OVR: 1

Played a beautiful 24-20 W vs the Panthers last night. Under a minute to play they were at the goalline.Dean Lowry had a strip sack, recovery and 2 knees sealed it.I didnít run as well this game, but not poor either.I was very focused on Kuechley, avoiding him at all costs (such a fun element when you feel you have to stay away from a player).

Cam newton completed 80% on me, as do most qbs. I see most opposing qbs are very high, Iíve had this on all levels all sliders unless you bury the CPU acc, and in doing that they donít seem to take chances downfield.Interesting enough Newton protected the football very well, he forced me to spy him, never have I felt this forced in a madden title.If I didnít assign a spy heíd run very cool that the adjustment was required whereas in the past it may not have been required.

My run defense is just smothering teams right now. With exception to Melvin Gordon most backs are made almost obsolete.Itís stopping the pass that really gets me.Last night Iíll accept 80% Newton was using Olsen quite often and running backs away from my spy so he took a lot of what was given.

Iím in a really tough spot right now, I absolutely love the results Iím getting from a competitive POV, it almost makes me want to accept the high pass % and such but the statistical side wants to try to improve this. All in all, I walked away having had a great time once again.Good competitive game with this set, right down to the wire.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2019, 10:30 AM   #492
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
I've not tested. Based on experiences with the injury SLIDER turned to 0, my feeling is that it could make the CPU play 'soft' (like CPU RBs not giving effort on runs, QBs checking-down a lot, etc.). Give it a shot and see...what I mentioned above will be the quick measures.

This is exactly the little detail I like to hear about. You're right that Madden is always like that to a degree...and if we're talking about getting to the edge being a overpowered (independent of one's stick skills), it's one of two things.

- Threshold is 'off'. Now, it can either be too high (allowing O-line to get outside too quickly based on ratings) or too low (allowing the back to outsprint everyone) and from my experiences, if it IS off, it isn't by much.
- There are pursuit issues (which can stem from a huge number of causes). I'm going to be honest, if there truly is an issue, I'd bet money that this is the culprit.

I'll pay attention as I continue my franchises and see if anything sticks out.

I tend to agree with this I think. I have most success on outsides runs.Tackle/stretch type plays.Unless there is a blitz there is a lot of space to work, I also have success with the inside handoffs from shotgun sets.If I run dives/traps/counters Iím generally bottled up.I found myself last night shying away from the plays I know that appear a bit OP.This is no different than some pass routes too I suppose, the game is only so smart.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:44 AM   #493
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

I'm seeing quite a few complaints across OS on the "ease" of the user run game. The very interesting thing, to me, is that they cut across a broad spectrum of slider setups and even difficulties. It's not just on AP, but I've seen comments on AM sets as well. Now, there are always complaints on the run game because this is one area where 'stick skills' can really come into play. It is also one area that people over-react the most on. So, I will always take run game feedback with a grain of salt. That said, there's enough 'smoke' here that there may be a little fire.

Now, Balla hit the nail on the head with his observations. Combined with muelly's comments and my own observations last night, I can see what people might consider to be a tad 'exploitable'. Here are a few things that seem a bit 'off'
  • There may be a little too much push by the o-line (but the CPU has it too). As a consequence, I feel the RBs hit the hole in interior runs a bit too quickly.
  • There is a little lack of closure by LBs (plus occasionally-poor angles that are unmerited by ratings).
  • CPU backs have begun acting a bit 'off' this patch (a little bit of that 'pathfinding' issue from last year has crept-in - they've just felt out-of-sync to me).
  • Outside runs are a bit 'off'. Either you speed-burst outside with a speed back or you're screwed. Rarely do you see the o-linemen have time to set up blocks on the outside.
I'm going to tell you guys something; I feel that we're nit-picking just a tad. NONE of these things are THAT bad....overall, I think it is pretty balanced over a long sample size with different teams/matchups. I do NOT think the user run game is OP and I'll be honest, the main thing prompting me to look at this in more depth is the CPU RB behavior (and the more games I get under my belt, the more I see it is a persistent issue - no matter the RB quality). But as other observations have crept out, a pattern has begun to emerge....and they're all related.

Let's talk about what will not fix these concerns:
- The issue is not the RBK slider. It does not change defensive pursuit angles or closing speed. It wouldn't even get rid of that slight "push". The only thing it would do is allow blocks to be shed quicker, which would just make things worse by further de-syncing everything.
- The issue is not TAK or FM sliders. These COULD be used to modify pursuit angles and closure, but they wouldn't address the push or CPU RB AI.

There is one slider that explains all of those things (and would explain it across a variety of setups) - threshold. I suspect threshold is just a hair too low at the default 50 value. The majority of slider setups do one of two things, they either leave it alone at 50 or go to extremes (the latter is fine - but it requires a ton of added slider tweaks to make it work). As usual, we're going for 'slight tweaks'.

Ya'll might recall that we had threshold at 52 for a time pre-patch - and I tested that because even then, I felt there was something just a tad "off". I reverted it because, at that time, I didn't feel it had a significant enough of an impact (and don't change stuff unless you need to do so). However, I think as EA has optimized some things with the title updates, the slight variance is becoming more obvious. As we all get more time in with this update, little things are starting to creep back in.

I'm going to revisit this slight adjustment beginning this evening by modifying ONLY the CFM threshold value to 52. I'm not going to update the OP right now until I can look at this up close. However, ya'll are welcome to try it out now....it shouldn't have any major negative impacts. If my previous observations still hold for this version of the game, it should improve a number of these areas.

Last edited by JoshC1977; 08-27-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:09 PM   #494
Pro

Quote:
I'm seeing quite a few complaints across OS on the "ease" of the user run game. The very interesting thing, to me, is that they cut across a broad spectrum of slider setups and even difficulties. It's not just on AP, but I've seen comments on AM sets as well. Now, there are always complaints on the run game because this is one area where 'stick skills' can really come into play. It is also one area that people over-react the most on. So, I will always take run game feedback with a grain of salt. That said, there's enough 'smoke' here that there may be a little fire.

Now, Balla hit the nail on the head with his observations. Combined with muelly's comments and my own observations last night, I can see what people might consider to be a tad 'exploitable'. Here are a few things that seem a bit 'off'
  • There may be a little too much push by the o-line (but the CPU has it too). As a consequence, I feel the RBs hit the hole in interior runs a bit too quickly.
  • There is a little lack of closure by LBs (plus occasionally-poor angles that are unmerited by ratings).
  • CPU backs have begun acting a bit 'off' this patch (a little bit of that 'pathfinding' issue from last year has crept-in - they've just felt out-of-sync to me).
  • Outside runs are a bit 'off'. Either you speed-burst outside with a speed back or you're screwed. Rarely do you see the o-linemen have time to set up blocks on the outside.
I'm going to tell you guys something; I feel that we're nit-picking just a tad. NONE of these things are THAT bad....overall, I think it is pretty balanced over a long sample size with different teams/matchups. I do NOT think the user run game is OP and I'll be honest, the main thing prompting me to look at this in more depth is the CPU RB behavior (and the more games I get under my belt, the more I see it is a persistent issue - no matter the RB quality). But as other observations have crept out, a pattern has begun to emerge....and they're all related.

Let's talk about what will not fix these concerns:
- The issue is not the RBK slider. It does not change defensive pursuit angles or closing speed. It wouldn't even get rid of that slight "push". The only thing it would do is allow blocks to be shed quicker, which would just make things worse by further de-syncing everything.
- The issue is not TAK or FM sliders. These COULD be used to modify pursuit angles and closure, but they wouldn't address the push or CPU RB AI.

There is one slider that explains all of those things (and would explain it across a variety of setups) - threshold. I suspect threshold is just a hair too low at the default 50 value. The majority of slider setups do one of two things, they either leave it alone at 50 or go to extremes (the latter is fine - but it requires a ton of added slider tweaks to make it work). As usual, we're going for 'slight tweaks'.

Ya'll might recall that we had threshold at 52 for a time pre-patch - and I tested that because even then, I felt there was something just a tad "off". I reverted it because, at that time, I didn't feel it had a significant enough of an impact (and don't change stuff unless you need to do so). However, I think as EA has optimized some things with the title updates, the slight variance is becoming more obvious. As we all get more time in with this update, little things are starting to creep back in.

I'm going to revisit this slight adjustment beginning this evening by modifying ONLY the CFM threshold value to 52. I'm not going to update the OP right now until I can look at this up close. However, ya'll are welcome to try it out now....it shouldn't have any major negative impacts. If my previous observations still hold for this version of the game, it should improve a number of these areas.

Interesting find and some good information on why the run block slider alone may not be the problem.

I do think itís worthwhile that you also mention the CPU run game as well. I too have noticed this, and I said as much earlier this am.CPU running backs just seem ďvanillaĒ now.They are easier to stop, out the box they were breaking ankles with killer jukes and a times really being a disruption.I havenít seen the same animations post patch on any difficulty I can agree with that too.I play against Barkley next, should be a good test.Could any of this be injury related?The RB injury situation has been quite high.Ironically Iíve also found my #3 WR & #1 MLB have been injured the last few games Iíve played.This likely is just normal but itís something Iíve seen within my games.#3 has been EQ St Brown prior to season ending injury (2nd injury in that game) and Jake Kumerow.MLB is Blake Cashman.

As of now my lone issues are the run game and CPU passing %. That said we are entering the 4th week of pre season, the release window of the game the last few years and we already have not only a significant patch but a good foundation to play with.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:37 PM   #495
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by muelly

Interesting find and some good information on why the run block slider alone may not be the problem.

I do think it’s worthwhile that you also mention the CPU run game as well. I too have noticed this, and I said as much earlier this am.CPU running backs just seem “vanilla” now.They are easier to stop, out the box they were breaking ankles with killer jukes and a times really being a disruption.I haven’t seen the same animations post patch on any difficulty I can agree with that too.I play against Barkley next, should be a good test.Could any of this be injury related?The RB injury situation has been quite high.Ironically I’ve also found my #3 WR & #1 MLB have been injured the last few games I’ve played.This likely is just normal but it’s something I’ve seen within my games.#3 has been EQ St Brown prior to season ending injury (2nd injury in that game) and Jake Kumerow.MLB is Blake Cashman.

As of now my lone issues are the run game and CPU passing %. That said we are entering the 4th week of pre season, the release window of the game the last few years and we already have not only a significant patch but a good foundation to play with.
Remember one thing Muelly. The game tends to play a bit 'softer' during preseason games; it isn't until you hit the reg season that you really can see how things are going to play-out.

Last edited by JoshC1977; 08-27-2019 at 12:42 PM. Reason: typo
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2019, 12:46 PM   #496
Pro

Quote:
Remember one thing Muelly. The game tends to play a bit 'softer' during preseason games; it isn't until you hit the reg season that you really can see how things are going to play-out.

No no, Iím saying IRL, the state of the game we are very early in this seasons cycle. Weíre not even to the real life regular season and we have a product that in many areas is very good.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders »