Home

Illegal Man Downfield Penalty

This is a discussion on Illegal Man Downfield Penalty within the Madden NFL Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-07-2019, 10:21 PM   #1
TrueSim Projects-Creator

Cycloniac's Arena

OVR: 13
Illegal Man Downfield Penalty

So, I have been playing the game since launch, and I see people pointing out a bug, which displays the illegal man downfield penalty set to off when starting games, regardless of what you set it to outside of the game.

I have realized that changing this setting from off to on during games actually has the reverse effect. I just saw the CPU finally have this penalty called against them after leaving the slider off in-game.

If you have the slider set to on in franchise/main menu, there is no need to touch it during games.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2019, 10:56 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Illegal Man Downfield Penalty

Yup. Noticed this a few days ago.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:41 AM   #3
MVP

tyler28's Arena

Ya i had mine off and it was still being called. I turned it on and off again and it seemed to stop. Havent seen it since the very first couple of games i played. Not sure what is going on with it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2019, 08:16 AM   #4
Lord of Suffering

Darth Aegis's Arena

OVR: 5

I tested it with turning it on in-game, but didn't see any benefit with it turned on over off. I think it's more placebo then anything.

Playing:

Last edited by Darth Aegis; 08-08-2019 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:49 AM   #5
MVP

icicle22's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaReal Milticket
I tested it with turning it on in-game, but didn't see any benefit with it turned on over off. I think it's more placebo then anything.
I am wondering this as well. I am not sure it's making any difference except that penalty being called or not called. I have been playing a CFM offline and sometimes I remember to set this each game (IMD)....sometimes I forget. can't say that I can remember anything different when I forgot.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2019, 08:21 AM   #6
Banned

Interesting that the description for this toggle has nothing to do with Ineligible Man Downfieldc1bb14f6-064b-43c1-9a57-162599dec4d0~2.PNG
Old 08-11-2019, 08:50 AM   #7
Gaming Avenger

Ren The Conqueror's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDominator273
Interesting that the description for this toggle has nothing to do with Ineligible Man DownfieldAttachment 167500
This is exactly the type of setting that can (and does) have a profound effect on other aspects of gameplay. In two full preseason games, I have yet to see a CPU QB drop back and run backwards to avoid a sack, I've seen them scramble out of the pocket to either extend the play (to throw) or run), and I have had only two ball carrier fumbles. Do any of these issues sound familiar?

This setting is on by default in the MM, not found in CFM, but present in the pause menu in a CFM game - where it is turned off. It must be turned on. I cannot stress this enough. I, too, thought this was placebo at first. It is definitely not. Credit to JoshC1977 for the original find in the forum, as this is something that I wouldn't have thought to look for.

MLB The Show 19 (PS5)
NBA Live 19 (PS5)
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Madden NFL 11 (PS3)

Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/ren_the_conqueror
Old 08-11-2019, 09:15 AM   #8
Gaming Avenger

Ren The Conqueror's Arena

To piggyback off of my last post... I do have a hunch that EA is tuning this game behind the scenes. I've noticed some subtle, and other not so subtle changes in gameplay having not touched a single setting.

Re: the penalty itself, I would definitely turn it on in games to match the default setting in the MM.

MLB The Show 19 (PS5)
NBA Live 19 (PS5)
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Madden NFL 11 (PS3)

Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/ren_the_conqueror

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders »