Home

Old 08-10-2019, 03:53 AM   #1
Rookie

Rob9874's Arena

OVR: 0
Extreme Slider Experiment

Being tired of CPU QBs throwing 400+ yds and 75-82% every game, I decided to get extreme with sliders. I bumped Human Pass Coverage and Def Reaction Time to 75 ea. No difference whatsoever. My defenders were 5-10 yds away from the CPU's WRs on every pass.

So I got real mad and set those sliders to 100 ea, and CPU QB ACC to 0, just to see what would happen. My game was against the Falcons, and Matt Ryan was throwing the ball all over the place. So that proved that some sliders do have an effect. However, my defenders still played way off the WRs. Granted, I'm the Cards, who don't have a great secondary, but even Peterson (92 OVR) had no idea what was going on. At 100 Pass Coverage!

Even with those extreme sliders, it was a very close game (Both the Cards as a team in the game, and myself as a player, both suck). I was only up less than a TD (25-19) in the last 2:00 of the game. But after punting back to ATL, Matt Ryan was on fire! He went 8-for-8 and drove 75 yds for a TD to beat me 26-25.

This experiment proved a few things:
- QB ACC slider does work
- Human Def sliders may or may not work
- No one should play as the Cardinals
- I am not a very good Madden player
- The game gives the CPU a ratings boost at the end of the game, possibly for clutch players. Matt Ryan was 7-for-30 before that last drive, then went 8-for-8, to finish 15-for-38. Didn't complete 8 passes ALL GAME, then goes 8-for-8 in the last drive. Cmon. With 0 QB ACC.

Last edited by Rob9874; 08-10-2019 at 04:03 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2019, 05:02 AM   #2
Rookie

Rob9874's Arena

Re: Extreme Slider Experiment

The next game was vs the Giants. I increased CPU QB ACC to 25, but kept my Human Pass D sliders at 100. Once again, defenders were nowhere near the Giants' WRs, as Eli torched me for over 400 yds and 70%. At 25 ACC!!! Barkley had 185 yds rushing and 139 yds receiving. He's a beast.

Next game (tomorrow, it's late), I'm going to lower my Pass D sliders to 0, and see if they play better.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:02 AM   #3
Rookie

Two things I want to mention, and I'm just kind of talking here, not suggesting that something is right or wrong. If I recall, a few years back, someone posted that the Coverage and Reaction sliders were backwards, so that 0 meant tighter coverage. I'm not sure that applies here. More importantly, what's been mentioned over and over again, is that the more we adjust sliders (especially big or extreme adjustments), the more one slider adjustment adversely affects another. If you read Josh C's slider post, you will see that he basically stays on default. The game was developed with the sliders set on default 50, and all the changes we make might not be the way to go. This being said, I agree with you that the Pass Coverage is seriously lacking. So what I did was watch a YouTube video on playing "D", and noticed that making adjustments at the start of a play ( shading, etc...) Helps the pass coverage quite a bit. I tried it, and my Pass D has improved. I still think the CPU QB throws for a high percentage of completions, but most of them are short passes, so I give up completions and yardage, but I stop a lot of drives, limiting the CPU Offense on the number of First Downs they get.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:42 AM   #4
MVP

speedkills's Arena

OVR: 8

Yeah, I've given up any faith that the sliders work as advertised. I made a slight adjustment to QB accuracy and Pass Reaction and Pass Coverage and my QB broke out of 4 sacks straight. Defenders were bouncing off of him like Christian Okoye in the OG Tecmo Superbowl (I'm old). I should've just stood there and seen how long that would've gone on for instead of running it in for a score. I made no adjustments to tackling whatsoever.

I'm just sticking with default and will live with it.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:46 AM   #5
TrueSim Projects-Creator

Cycloniac's Arena

OVR: 13

My theory is that all of the sliders are very sensitive. Every slider affects the others, that's how the game was coded.

However, I believe that there are ceilings and floors with the sliders. By this, I mean that if you raise pass coverage to 100 and the highest it will go to have a noticeable affect is 55, then it doesn't matter.

If you boost FG power to 100, kickers still will not be able to kick 60+ yard FGs.

I am also curious if you changed penalty sliders at all because those have a significant effect on how the game plays. I think you would see more extremes gameplay wise by changing those.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2019, 01:07 PM   #6
Rookie

Rob9874's Arena

I don't mean any disrespect to those who work hard on sliders here, but I'm skeptical about all the theories on sliders. Like how moving one slider has a butterfly effect on another slider. Did we get this info from Madden developers, or merely people's perceptions? I do think that sliders at default 50 is probably best, as JoshC says. It is kind of funny how everyone raves about his slider work, which is just "don't change anything".

I do think ratings matter a ton. I have a CFM with the Chiefs where I'm like 7-0. Winning every game, but CPU does score 35+ against me. Mahomes and Hill can just score more . But with the Cards, nothing goes right. I'll throw with Murray (73 OVR) to the left side and he'll throw down the middle . Many times right to a defender.

Last edited by Rob9874; 08-10-2019 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-10-2019, 01:29 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob9874
I don't mean any disrespect to those who work hard on sliders here, but I'm skeptical about all the theories on sliders. Like how moving one slider has a butterfly effect on another slider. Did we get this info from Madden developers, or merely people's perceptions? I do think that sliders at default 50 is probably best, as JoshC says. It is kind of funny how everyone raves about his slider work, which is just "don't change anything".

I do think ratings matter a ton. I have a CFM with the Chiefs where I'm like 7-0. Winning every game, but CPU does score 35+ against me. Mahomes and Hill can just score more . But with the Cards, nothing goes right. I'll throw with Murray (73 OVR) to the left side and he'll throw down the middle . Many times right to a defender.
Iím not good enough to play all madden or all pro and pro is too easy to not get boring so I play the game as a nfl manager simulation and do franchise mode starting with 2002 rosters and cpu vs cpu games.

The sliders do affect cpu vs cpu pretty drastically with cd cools sliders being the best.
Old 08-10-2019, 02:57 PM   #8
Rookie

Rob9874's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by direfire
I’m not good enough to play all madden or all pro and pro is too easy to not get boring so I play the game as a nfl manager simulation and do franchise mode starting with 2002 rosters and cpu vs cpu games.
Same here, Pro is too easy. But I didn't pay $60 for a game to just watch it. I'm praying a patch comes out soon.

OK, I experimented to Pass Coverage and Pass Def Reaction Time both to 0, leaving CPU QB ACC at 25% vs Drew Brees. I may be mistaken, but it felt like my defenders played tighter. He still completed 82.3% of his passes (LMAO), but my defenders were right there to make an immediate tackle. I held him to 375 yds, the first time I've held a CPU opponent on All-Pro under 400 yds with the Cards.

Either way, there wasn't enough of a difference to notice my pass coverage, even at ZERO, so I am convinced they don't do much. Heck, the fact that Brees completed 82.3% of his passes with his Accuracy turned down to 25 should tell you something. Imagine if I had left him at 50!

I think I'm going to take JoshC's advice go back to the default 50 on all sliders as the developers intended and hope for a patch. It was interesting to see how little going to 0 and 100 made on the game overall. So I'm not about to believe someone that tries telling me setting one slider to 49 or 51 makes a difference.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders »