Home

Optimal Slider functionality question.

This is a discussion on Optimal Slider functionality question. within the Madden NFL Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders
Top 5 NES Sports Games That Still Hold Up Today
Should Casual Fans Buy NHL 20 While Itís On Sale?
Fight Night Round 3 Video: Father Takes on Son in Boxing Game That Defined an Era
What game would you most like to see return next-gen? -- Click here to cast your vote now!
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2019, 01:47 PM   #9
Rookie
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Aug 2016
Re: Optimal Slider functionality question.

I think the "real life" playstyle that doesn't translate to Madden in almost any circumstances is snap to throw times.

I'm willing to say a Madden play is probably double for people. So in theory if on average we did throw the ball in 2.5-3 seconds on average. Would they outweigh cancel each other out at that point?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
AtlantiasFalcon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:05 PM   #10
AWFL Commish
 
Aestis's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 851
Re: Optimal Slider functionality question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantiasFalcon
I think the "real life" playstyle that doesn't translate to Madden in almost any circumstances is snap to throw times.

I'm willing to say a Madden play is probably double for people. So in theory if on average we did throw the ball in 2.5-3 seconds on average. Would they outweigh cancel each other out at that point?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The question you're basically asking is: at high threshold, does the fact that WRs get downfield faster (and thus QB can get the ball out quicker) cancel out with the fact that pass rushers also get upfield faster?

That's the right question to ask. I don't know if they evenly cancel each other out. But one for sure cancels out the other at least in part.



So to summarize/be crystal clear, I'm not saying 80 threshold is perfectly balanced vs the pass rush (or low threshold, for that matter). What I'm saying is:

- Game plays faster = tougher = expect more mistakes
- DBs also being faster does not matter in terms of speed of the pass rush (...but will affect coverage which could lead to a few more coverage sacks)
- Faster pass rushers & faster WRs at least in part cancel each other out


In our 32-man CFM, while I can't measure exactly how long it takes for QBs to get the ball out... I watch a lot of gameplay, and hardly ever is a QB sacked if they're getting the ball out right as they finish their 3/5/7 step dropback. If they stand there longer, they may get sacked. It passes the smell test, for sure.
__________________
RFF
XBL ID: AestisFF
Twitch Channel


Commissioner
After Work Football League
(XB1)
AWFL Discord Server
AWFL Daddyleagues
YouTube Channel

Last edited by Aestis; 09-09-2019 at 05:07 PM.
Aestis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:07 PM   #11
Rookie
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Aug 2016
Re: Optimal Slider functionality question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aestis
The question you're basically asking is: at high threshold, does the fact that WRs get downfield faster (and thus QB can get the ball out quicker) cancel out with the fact that pass rushers also get upfield faster?

That's the right question to ask. I don't know if they evenly cancel each other out. But one for sure cancels out the other at least in part.



So to summarize/be crystal clear, I'm not saying 80 threshold is perfectly balanced vs the pass rush (or low threshold, for that matter). What I'm saying is:

- Game plays faster = tougher = expect more mistakes
- DBs also being faster does not matter in terms of speed of the pass rush (...but will affect coverage which could lead to a few more coverage sacks)
- Faster pass rushers & faster WRs at least in part cancel each other out


In our 32-man CFM, while I can't measure exactly how long it takes for QBs to get the ball out... I watch a lot of gameplay, and hardly ever is a QB sacked if they're getting the ball out right as they finish their 3/5/7 step dropback. If they stand there longer, they may get sacked. It passes the smell test, for sure.
In a 32 man CFM I think most issues are mute because the thing we wish the CPU did well was play with human thought processes. Good or bad, that happens in 32 man CFM.

That is my question, and I think if the game played slower universal speed, but his a real life equivalent threshold. That would make up the timing difference of real life to Madden. And would be the ground floor any the best slider set for me personally.

I don't think I'll get this though so a man can dream.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
AtlantiasFalcon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2019, 01:14 PM   #12
AWFL Commish
 
Aestis's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 851
Re: Optimal Slider functionality question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantiasFalcon
In a 32 man CFM I think most issues are mute because the thing we wish the CPU did well was play with human thought processes. Good or bad, that happens in 32 man CFM.

That is my question, and I think if the game played slower universal speed, but his a real life equivalent threshold. That would make up the timing difference of real life to Madden. And would be the ground floor any the best slider set for me personally.

I don't think I'll get this though so a man can dream.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

In the past, a slider set that truly strived for NFL realism would start with threshold. Then after you reached optimal gap between speeds (this year around 80), you pick the game speed so that at a higher threshold, running speed benchmarks against NFL speeds. That's why you might see Slow speed some years, Normal others, etc.

Obviously this year you can't pick a diff game speed, which is why I call it pick your poison. Realistic game speed (low threshold) or realistic balance (high threshold).
__________________
RFF
XBL ID: AestisFF
Twitch Channel


Commissioner
After Work Football League
(XB1)
AWFL Discord Server
AWFL Daddyleagues
YouTube Channel
Aestis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:26 PM   #13
TrueSim Projects-Creator
 
Cycloniac's Arena
 
OVR: 13
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 4,385
Blog Entries: 3
Re: Optimal Slider functionality question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aestis
In the past, a slider set that truly strived for NFL realism would start with threshold. Then after you reached optimal gap between speeds (this year around 80), you pick the game speed so that at a higher threshold, running speed benchmarks against NFL speeds. That's why you might see Slow speed some years, Normal others, etc.

Obviously this year you can't pick a diff game speed, which is why I call it pick your poison. Realistic game speed (low threshold) or realistic balance (high threshold).
This year has been tricky. Even now, based on discussion in this thread, I've considered trying 75 again.
__________________
THE TrueSim PROJECTS

Cycloniac is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:09 AM.

Top -