Home

How sliders work?

This is a discussion on How sliders work? within the Madden NFL Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders
OS Roundtable: How Long Do Sports Games Last for You?
Bonding Through Video Games: Not All Screen Time's Created Equal
Need For Speed Heat Review
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2019, 01:14 PM   #1
Rookie
 
cubbies1744's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Kentucky
Blog Entries: 2
How sliders work?

I was wondering if anyone had any information on how sliders work as far of what affect it has moving it to the left or right. As well as how much of an impact it has moving the number one vs five clicks. Any information or explanation would be gratefully appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Operation Sports mobile app
__________________
Never let the pressure exceed the expectations! -joe Maddon
cubbies1744 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-21-2019, 02:03 PM   #2
All Star
 
JoshC1977's Arena
 
OVR: 5
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Morgantown, WV
Blog Entries: 1
Re: How sliders work?

OK, this is an insanely broad topic - you're not going to get a ton of responses because it entails so much and on top of that, there will be some disagreements among responders about varying slider effects. So, I'll do a very high level primer...

1. Read the descriptions in-game for each slider. At a very high level, they are mostly correct and will give you a guide.
2. Sliders are relative to one another. You lower the user QBA slider, the CPU will play weaker pass defense - so you have to adjust the sliders for pass defense, which then makes them weaker against the run, so you have to adjust the run defense sliders, which makes the pass defense weaker again...so on and so on. Long story short, once you change something, you have to re-establish the balance and that can be very tricky.
3. Even 1 point off of default can result in meaningful changes in the gameplay in many instances.
4. Focus on how slider changes affect what is happening on the field; not the statistical outcome. People want to jack up the pass coverage slider and then complain about CPU completion percentage being too high (feeding myths like "PCV is reversed"). However, if you watch how it changes the gameplay, it'll be apparent that a) coverage is unnaturally tight which is resulting in the CPU taking much easier throws (jacking-up the completion percentage) and b) defenders are over-reacting instead of sticking with the receiver.
5. All Pro and All Madden have very different dynamics. Players are much more aggressive on All Madden - and sometimes, that's a bad thing (causing them to over-commit or be overly reactive in coverage which actually makes the pass defense worse). Long story short, what works on AP may not work on AM.
6. Don't underestimate the power of the "slider trinity" (i.e. injury/fatigue/threshold). If I were doing a slider set with any intention of adjusting gameplay sliders, I would start with these three and adjust till they feel "right" to your needs. Once you feel good with those settings, play a couple of seasons with just those three adjusted and decide from there what areas of the game you want to adjust with the gameplay sliders. You'll be MUCH more familiar with how the game feels and will immediately be able to identify if something gets "wonky" when you make a gameplay slider change.
__________________
If you want to be taken seriously, say two positive things for every negative thing you have to say.
JoshC1977 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:51 PM   #3
Rookie
 
cubbies1744's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Kentucky
Blog Entries: 2
Re: How sliders work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
OK, this is an insanely broad topic - you're not going to get a ton of responses because it entails so much and on top of that, there will be some disagreements among responders about varying slider effects. So, I'll do a very high level primer...

1. Read the descriptions in-game for each slider. At a very high level, they are mostly correct and will give you a guide.
2. Sliders are relative to one another. You lower the user QBA slider, the CPU will play weaker pass defense - so you have to adjust the sliders for pass defense, which then makes them weaker against the run, so you have to adjust the run defense sliders, which makes the pass defense weaker again...so on and so on. Long story short, once you change something, you have to re-establish the balance and that can be very tricky.
3. Even 1 point off of default can result in meaningful changes in the gameplay in many instances.
4. Focus on how slider changes affect what is happening on the field; not the statistical outcome. People want to jack up the pass coverage slider and then complain about CPU completion percentage being too high (feeding myths like "PCV is reversed"). However, if you watch how it changes the gameplay, it'll be apparent that a) coverage is unnaturally tight which is resulting in the CPU taking much easier throws (jacking-up the completion percentage) and b) defenders are over-reacting instead of sticking with the receiver.
5. All Pro and All Madden have very different dynamics. Players are much more aggressive on All Madden - and sometimes, that's a bad thing (causing them to over-commit or be overly reactive in coverage which actually makes the pass defense worse). Long story short, what works on AP may not work on AM.
6. Don't underestimate the power of the "slider trinity" (i.e. injury/fatigue/threshold). If I were doing a slider set with any intention of adjusting gameplay sliders, I would start with these three and adjust till they feel "right" to your needs. Once you feel good with those settings, play a couple of seasons with just those three adjusted and decide from there what areas of the game you want to adjust with the gameplay sliders. You'll be MUCH more familiar with how the game feels and will immediately be able to identify if something gets "wonky" when you make a gameplay slider change.
I appreciate the feedback I should have been more specific on what I am wanting. I am wanting a real experience as far as getting as close to realistic stats and gameplay. I played with mike lowes sliders on all pro but I felt like I was destroying opponents.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Operation Sports mobile app
__________________
Never let the pressure exceed the expectations! -joe Maddon
cubbies1744 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 04:15 PM   #4
MVP
 
OVR: 21
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: CT
Blog Entries: 1
Re: How sliders work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbies1744
I appreciate the feedback I should have been more specific on what I am wanting. I am wanting a real experience as far as getting as close to realistic stats and gameplay. I played with mike lowes sliders on all pro but I felt like I was destroying opponents.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Operation Sports mobile app
Josh's explanation should really be a sticky here. You mentioned wanting a set that allows for a real experience, stats and gameplay where you are not always winning. That's what every slide maker thinks they have accomplished when they release a set.

The problem is, people have different stick skills and expectations. That's why there are so many slider sets. What works for person A may be a total bust for person B.

The only way to get to where you want to go is to follow Josh's advice. You start with those 3 values and tweak until things look and feel right to you and then adjust sliders from there based on your own skill set and how you play.

Best of luck!

C
capa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:46 PM   #5
HOF
 
DaReal Milticket's Arena
 
OVR: 5
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,469
Re: How sliders work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbies1744
I was wondering if anyone had any information on how sliders work as far of what affect it has moving it to the left or right. As well as how much of an impact it has moving the number one vs five clicks. Any information or explanation would be gratefully appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Operation Sports mobile app
Start with threshold. This is going to be your foundation for the rest of your settings/sliders. Injuries & fatigue is like your brick & mortar. Injuries I leave at 10 because I feel it tightens the movement of the actual players, raising it makes the players feel lose to me (preference). I mod the injuries under the hood though, so I can still have realistic number of injuries at 10. Even better on PC we can dictate injuries occuring by position & off ball at a better rate that you would like to see. Fatigue, I don't stray far from default.
__________________
Playing

Madden 20 (PC)
Remnant From The Ashes (PC)

Last edited by DaReal Milticket; 11-21-2019 at 08:58 PM.
DaReal Milticket is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-21-2019, 09:02 PM   #6
Rookie
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Jan 2019
Re: How sliders work?

I encourage you to read through Matt10ís thread. Start at the beginning. Itís quite long but a very informative piece that Matt has graciously shared with us. Other users have added here and there and provided feedback to keep honing the set.

The bottom line on Mattís set is he explains the what and how you are looking for.


Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
seanstephans is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:13 PM   #7
Just started!
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Sep 2018
Re: How sliders work?

****in' sliders...
How do they work?
steve_studnuts is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:47 AM.

Top -