Home

Chris' All-Pro (Challenging) Sliders for Franchise

This is a discussion on Chris' All-Pro (Challenging) Sliders for Franchise within the Madden NFL Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-19-2020, 06:35 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Chris' All-Pro (Challenging) Sliders for Franchise

I'm the sort of Madden player that many can probably relate too. When I play default All-Pro I find the game too easy - there's nothing fun about winning massively every game - but if I try going up to All-Madden I find the CPU too frustrating the way they seem psychic and perform gymnastics. Finding that balance between the two is always the tricky thing.

I should also note that I only play Offline Franchise, I don't play online against other users so I don't follow things like overpowered/cheese plays. I try to play realistically with a balanced run/pass game and mix things up - I wouldn't find throwing 4 verticals every play much fun. On defence I user a MLB in a 4-3/Nickel and try to follow the assignment as best as I can.

Along with making the games challenging from a gameplay perspective I also aim to keep my stats in line with the rest of the league over a franchise season. I don't want my pass rushers getting 6 sacks a game each, or cornerbacks constantly intercepting 4 times. But I do want it to be possible for them to have great games when the situation is right.

After making various adjustments over several years of my Franchise save I'm now at the point where the games are giving me the challenge I want without being too one-sided in either direction.
  • If I'm playing a weaker team with a poor record I can still get comfortable wins, but I know I can't get complacent as too mny mistakes can change things.
  • If I'm playing a team with similar strength and record to me the games are almost always close with final scores being within a single TD or FG difference. These games often feel like they can go either way and a big mistake or two can seal a loss for me.
  • If I'm playing a strong team in top form I know I have to play as best as I can. Winning these games feels like an achievement, as it should.
As for why I changed things the way I did, my main issues on default All-Pro were that my rushing and passing were both too easy (particularly rushing) and CPU rushing was very weak, even with X-Factor players. I wanted to change this without making it so my QB would end up throwing the ball backwards. I wanted an accurate QB to remain accurate but make it so getting receivers open was more challenging and I'd have to throw into tighter windows.

I also found that too many interceptions were occurring in my games on both sides and Fumbles could be a bit out of control. I don't enjoy beating the Ravens thanks to Jackson fumbling the ball 6 times.

League Settings
Skill Level = All-Pro
Game Style = Simulation
Quarter Length = 12 minutes
Accelerated Clock = On (18 sec Min Play Clock)

Player Skill Sliders
QB Accuracy = 48
Pass Blocking = 45
WR Catching = 50
Run Blocking = 15
Fumbles = 65
Pass Defense Reaction Time = 50
Interceptions = 40
Pass Coverage = 50
Tackling = 45

CPU Skill
QB Accuracy = 50
Pass Blocking = 60
WR Catching = 50
Run Blocking = 70
Fumbles = 65
Pass Defense Reaction Time = 60
Interceptions = 40
Pass Coverage = 70
Tackling = 50

Special Teams = All default 50

Game Options
Injuries = 45
Fatigue = 50
Min Player Speed Threshold = 70 (The fastest players are still noticeale without making them too overpowered)

Penalties
Face Mask = 20 (Still occasional calls but not 500 times per game)
All Others = Default 50 / On

With this setup my rushing game can be weak or strong depending on the opponent. Many games I'll be able to get plenty of 3-4 yard runs to help keep drives going without anything big opening up, giving my running backs quite reasonable stats. Sometimes I'll face a team with a really bad rush defence and things will be easier - I can still get big games on the ground when that's the case and control the game by running. Sometimes I'll go up against a team that just puts up a wall and I get stopped at the line a lot, in which case I have to rely on the pass more. It's been quite balanced overall, not getting 200 yards rushing all the time but also not impossible if everything falls into place.

With the passing game I have to be much smarter with throws while good receivers and good defensive backs both shine. CPU pass coverage isn't like glue on every play but there are plenty of times where my receivers are all covered quite closely and I either have to scramble, force a throw and risk an interception or ditch it. My better receivers still get decent separation on routes enough against average defenders. Better CPU defenders can dominate my weaker receivers. Against top defenders they can shut me down on their side, and I see a good struggle/balance when the WR and CB are evenly matched.

On the CPU side they can often but up reasonable points - not struggling to make first downs and ending up on 3 pts after a lucky field goal. On the ground I really have to focus against the top rated HBs - Elliott and others have annihilated me in some games. On the other hand, if they have weaker HBs I can control them and limit them to minimum gains. The extra CPU run blocking gives good running backs a cance to show what they can do but won't make mediocre rushers feel like they're all 99 overall.

With CPU passing I see plenty of variance and different quarterbacks all play differently. Top rated passers will mix up their throws a lot, minimise mistakes throwing short but rip me apart for big gains if I mess up coverage. Scrambers are scrambling - I've had several of them keep taking off running if my coverage is too strong and I've been knocked out of the playoffs by scrambling QBs picking up yardage or TDs when I didn't pay enough attention. At the other end of the scale, weaker quarterbacks still stand out as not being as effective. A lower rated QB might still get good completion but pass short a lot, lacking the ratings to throw deep effectively. Other weaker QBs will try the deep throws too much without having the ability to do so, forcing the ball into coverage and getting picked off.

As for interceptions, they still happen where it feels like the ball should be intercepted. Top players can still make interceptions where lesser players would fail. What I don't see is mediocre defenders making acrobatic picks all over the place while in the middle of a backwards leap with their eyes closed.
On the fumble side of things they still happen - I'll still have running backs fumble ocasionally if I'm sprinting and not covering the ball, WRs can still fumble when hit after the catch and QBs can still fumble when sacked and tackled on runs before they can slide but it's all toned down. Some games I see 0 fumbles, some 1 and some 2 but the big thing is scrambling QBs can now gain yards against me without giving 5 turnovers a game by trying to do so.

The 12 minute quarters with 18 accelerated clock puts my games at an average of 124 total plays, which is right in line with what simulated games get in my Franchise at an average of 124 (that's counting pass attempts, rush attempts, sacks, field goals and punts). That means my players are in sync with CPU players for end of year statistics, not having longer or shorter games that would skew things. That isn't a gameplay setting as such but is nice for keeping things as balanced as possible within the franchise save. I don't try to balance things to real life NFL stats as that doesn't work in Madden. I look at what simulated games provide.

Right. That's probably quite a long post now but I wanted to explain my reasoning and how it's been playing out. As I said at the start, I consider myself an average Madden player, certainly not brilliant, and I can honestly say that my games with these sliders are giving me the most fun and fair challenge I've had in a Madden game for years. I figured I'd post them in case they can help anyone else still looking for that fair challenge between All-Pro and All-Madden.

Last edited by Chris_; 02-19-2020 at 06:52 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2020, 07:20 AM   #2
Rookie

PunkMonk's Arena

Re: Chris' All-Pro (Challenging) Sliders for Franchise

Surprised no one has commented on these yet! Played 3 games with the Dolphins in a franchise yesterday using your set. Loved the initial results. Gameplay felt really really smooth.. RB’s were smart in there cuts and decisions, and the CPU defense was tight, but beatable. The CPU run game was KILLER. The Ravens put up 220 yards, and the Cowboys put up 180! Some of that was due to me adjusting to the new feel as well as adjusting to the offense, which had I controlled the ball more would decrease their run numbers.

Scores were:

Mia vs Bal 20-31 L
Mia vs NE 27-24 W
Dal vs Mia 26-0 L

The Dal run game was so effective they controlled the ball most of the game. My offense had only 150 or so yards total. L. Jackson ran 8 times for 60 yard. Earl T Jr. picked me off twice on bad reads. D.Lawrence gave me hell, but adjusted and used 2x teams + RB to slow him down.

Really really liking these right now. Only adjustment I made was Kickoff to 53. I’ll report back with more info after I run more games.
Old 03-18-2020, 03:03 AM   #3
MVP

awffltony77's Arena

Here comes me
Old 03-18-2020, 06:19 PM   #4
Rookie

moondeath's Arena

OVR: 1

What about your League Settings and Auto-Subs?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders »