Home

What's the appeal of the MUT mode?

This is a discussion on What's the appeal of the MUT mode? within the Madden Ultimate Team forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden Ultimate Team
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-22-2018, 03:51 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
What's the appeal of the MUT mode?

I just don't get it....
How is it fun?
It seems like 1 giant grind that is designed to get you hooked and then not allow you to progress fast enough without spending real life money...

Why don't you guys who like MUT enjoy franchise mode?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2018, 03:58 PM   #2
MVP

xApAthyx13's Arena

Re: What's the appeal of the MUT mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokewood
I just don't get it....
How is it fun?
It seems like 1 giant grind that is designed to get you hooked and then not allow you to progress fast enough without spending real life money...

Why don't you guys who like MUT enjoy franchise mode?
MUT is awesome for me in the since I grew up in the 80s religiously collecting baseball and football cards through the 90s. There's a small nostalgic aspect when opening packs and trying to complete sets and get the best cards etc.

I was able to get a 99 OVR MUT team in Madden 18 without even spending a penny, so it's just about choosing wisely and of course being able to complete the tasks no matter how hard they can be. Yes it is a constant grind but there's no reason to have to spend real money if you don't want to.

I also thoroughly enjoy Franchise Mode but I won't get deep into CFM right now until a better base roster/update is released from EA. (Probably next roster update.) Since they're missing far too many players right now.

My M23 Community Roster for Xbox Series X/S:
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...eries-x-s.html
Old 08-22-2018, 04:36 PM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xApAthyx13
MUT is awesome for me in the since I grew up in the 80s religiously collecting baseball and football cards through the 90s. There's a small nostalgic aspect when opening packs and trying to complete sets and get the best cards etc.

I was able to get a 99 OVR MUT team in Madden 18 without even spending a penny, so it's just about choosing wisely and of course being able to complete the tasks no matter how hard they can be. Yes it is a constant grind but there's no reason to have to spend real money if you don't want to.

I also thoroughly enjoy Franchise Mode but I won't get deep into CFM right now until a better base roster/update is released from EA. (Probably next roster update.) Since they're missing far too many players right now.
Well, that's good to hear that you were able to get a satisfying team without spending.
I play in an online franchise and often while waiting for the week to advance I will jump into MUT and try to build it up a bit. Currently I am just selling all the bronze cards and collecting as many players as I can.
I too grew up in the late 70s early 80s and collected baseball cards....
Old 08-22-2018, 06:55 PM   #4
MVP

SuperSeahawks's Arena

OVR: 14

I'm enjoying MUT so far; it's the 1st year I've really given it a try. I like the team building in MUT and CFM as well. Grinding solos isn't the most fun to be had, but it's better than dropping $ on packs and players which I won't be doing. I also like playing against other humans.

It doesn't make for a sim game really, but I do enjoy figuring out how to stop my opponent from doing X by doing Y. It's also easier to play MUT online at my own pace and free time instead of online franchise where you have to schedule specific times with your opponent which isn't always ideal.

PSN: SeahawkFan11OS

GT: SuperSeahawks

Twitch
Old 08-23-2018, 07:23 AM   #5
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

I was on the extreme side of "anti-MUT" and then I played it. It's fun and extremely challenging, which is why I enjoy it.

I ran an online CFM for several years and had a blast with that. The reason I switched was due to my perception that EA treated CFM like garbage. I can't play the CPU in Maden...it's beyond miserable for me now. I remember back in the day I'd get somewhat of a challenge but now I need to basically lose on purpose and don't even get me started on the CPU roster AI. If resources were put back into making CFM an immersive, challenging mode with some type of feeling of accomplishment for winning then I'd jump right back in.

I personally was burned out from running an online CFM. There's drama...people will live in the "grey area" of the rule book...and at the end of the day policing all of that took a great deal of time and energy. I really enjoyed the CFM...but it was time for a change.

I'm not a diehard football fan and was never a high level football player. With that said I wonder how anyone who actually did play at a relatively high level or is a high football IQ guy can like this game at all. It's not a game of football concepts. It's a game of exploiting the AI to your advantage. I can just take it for what it is: a competitive game where you try to play the chess match of exploiting the AI vs the other user. There is some skill involved...but to me the biggest skill gap is the knowledge gap. FYI I mean Madden knowledge...not real football IQ.

Also...one other thing about MUT vs online CFM. I can play this whenever I want and don't have to deal with scheduling games. If I want to play 8 games in a day I can and if I don't want to play for a week I don't have to.

Last thing: the amount of content MUT gets is really incredible. I mean you get new content on a near daily basis. Now they've even included the offline only guys to give them rewards for solo battles. So guys can not worry about spending money and still get some roster building experience plus facing the CPU only and they now get to open some packs up every week. This mode stays really fresh.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2018, 04:26 PM   #6
Banned

Does anyone have a link to a site that explains every aspect of MUT from the ground up for someone who has never even heard of it before?

If I can build a quality team that I can compete with online, without spending a penny, I'd give it a try....

So far, all I have done was completed longshot to get the unlocks and then I played through the preseason, and a 1/4 of the regular season. All the way I have been just selling the bronze cards as I figure they are completely worthless, but I don't really know....

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:01 PM   #7
MVP

I'm also in my first year of giving MUT a serious try, and imo the team building aspects of this mode are far and away more fun than CFM. Grinding solos and aggressive use of the auction house will allow you to build a respectable squad without dropping any extra money; you'll just have to live with the fact that you may not be able to compete against the absolute best-of-the-best squads that are definitely out there.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:08 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkubus
I'm also in my first year of giving MUT a serious try, and imo the team building aspects of this mode are far and away more fun than CFM. Grinding solos and aggressive use of the auction house will allow you to build a respectable squad without dropping any extra money; you'll just have to live with the fact that you may not be able to compete against the absolute best-of-the-best squads that are definitely out there.
So it is pay to win?
Are you saying without spending $$ you'll never be able to compete?
If so, I'm no longer interested.

See that's the entire catch. having to spend extra $$ on a game that was $60 is ridiculous. Micro-transactions for cosmetics is fine but Pay to win is a giant red flag that I will never support!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden Ultimate Team »