Home

For Franchise: Should there be a training camp?

This is a discussion on For Franchise: Should there be a training camp? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
Most Anticipated Sports Games of 2023
Five Ways EA Sports PGA Tour Can Improve Golf Career Modes
Undisputed Early Access Impressions - Coming for the Belt

Old 10-02-2022, 01:05 PM   #25
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: For Franchise: Should there be a training camp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneamongthefence
Here's my idea of training camp

First move the regression period to training camp. Would make it so there's much more risk into signing older free agents since you don't know what kind of regression they're gonna have.

Second is move end of season dev trait movement to training camp. So once you hit training camp you'll see if guys either went up or down in dev trait.

Third lock in all playbooks and schemes during training camp.

Lastly you can make players lose/gain weight to get buffs and nerfs to various attributes. For example running backs can gain weight to receive buffs to power back archetype while losing attributes in the elusive back archetype. There are plenty of examples where guys gain or lose weight to various effects on the field.

I think these are minimal changes that could give franchises more risk/reward and have a way to simulate training camp.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
These are all really solid ideas.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#[email protected]& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2022, 01:43 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneamongthefence
Here's my idea of training camp

First move the regression period to training camp. Would make it so there's much more risk into signing older free agents since you don't know what kind of regression they're gonna have.

Second is move end of season dev trait movement to training camp. So once you hit training camp you'll see if guys either went up or down in dev trait.

Third lock in all playbooks and schemes during training camp.

Lastly you can make players lose/gain weight to get buffs and nerfs to various attributes. For example running backs can gain weight to receive buffs to power back archetype while losing attributes in the elusive back archetype. There are plenty of examples where guys gain or lose weight to various effects on the field.

I think these are minimal changes that could give franchises more risk/reward and have a way to simulate training camp.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
I like these a lot and would add one thing: you would leave the draft still with some fog of war about your drafted players skills. You can use training camp as a way to unlock some/all of their skill level depending on how much you focus on them.
Old 10-03-2022, 07:53 AM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbjay82
Bring back the old training camp mini games from the PS2 era
This. I've gone back to playing Madden and NCAA games on my original Xbox and it's stunning how those games are STILL so much better than current Maddens in every way outside of graphics. Current Madden is some of the laziest developing I've ever seen and gotten to the point that I'm not buying them anymore until they at least equal the quality of the PS2 era versions.
Old 10-03-2022, 04:13 PM   #28
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by briz1046
What do you mean by this ? Nerf ratings how ?
'My linebacker or corner is 76 and should be an 80... let me do a Madden 2005 camp exercise to cheese it up.'
Old 10-03-2022, 05:51 PM   #29
MVP

briz1046's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden08PCgmr
'My linebacker or corner is 76 and should be an 80... let me do a Madden 2005 camp exercise to cheese it up.'

Firstly if I remember correctly boosts were to attributes not overall and had a maximum of 2 or 3 points which would result maybe in a + 1 to the overall rating

Secondly I find nothing " cheesy" about training/ practices improving players ratings , this seems perfectly representative of how players improve IRL and certainly far more realistic than getting boosts from box score stats

In a world where the default ratings are getting adjusted by bleacher report twitter polls I find your objections curious.

Lastly I see no particular reason to simply ' copy and paste ' the PS2 version of how training camp's were depicted, previous posts have given solid ideas in how to build upon things already in the game

Last edited by briz1046; 10-03-2022 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-04-2022, 12:08 PM   #30
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

Quote:
Secondly I find nothing " cheesy" about training/ practices improving players ratings , this seems perfectly representative of how players improve IRL and certainly far more realistic than getting boosts from box score stats
Couldn't disagree more. That doesn't happen in a 5-week camp.

For rookies, its a matter of a player being much better than his draft position. Or said player found himself on a perfect team, and really shined.

Practice reps, yes. Over the course of an entire season, if the player is putting work in, working with great coaches, or has a great player who has taken them under his wing, that is more plausible.

But I still don't think that should be in the users hands. There should be a vehicle in the game to manage this.

Ratings need to be reimagined altogether, IMO. But thats another conversation..

Quote:
In a world where the default ratings are getting adjusted by bleacher report twitter polls I find your objections curious
I'm on PC. Roster ratings haven't been an issue for me since 2007.

Last edited by Madden08PCgmr; 10-04-2022 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-04-2022, 03:40 PM   #31
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmch1990
I like these a lot and would add one thing: you would leave the draft still with some fog of war about your drafted players skills. You can use training camp as a way to unlock some/all of their skill level depending on how much you focus on them.
They could at least hide all development traits including normal. Then reveal them based on snaps like they currently do but count extra training as getting snaps. Everyone develops as normal until they reach their snaps. Even if it takes two to three years. This way they keep their trait until they are getting playing time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2022, 07:16 AM   #32
Rookie

Richie71's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden08PCgmr
Couldn't disagree more. That doesn't happen in a 5-week camp.

For rookies, its a matter of a player being much better than his draft position. Or said player found himself on a perfect team, and really shined.

Practice reps, yes. Over the course of an entire season, if the player is putting work in, working with great coaches, or has a great player who has taken them under his wing, that is more plausible.

I'm on PC. Roster ratings haven't been an issue for me since 2007.

I disagree with your disagreement

Most player improvement in skill, technique or athleticism will come in off-season, training camp and pre-season. In-season becomes specific work per-match and injury rehab.

This puts aside EA's back to front progressing system, where performance leads to abilities/ratings, instead of abilities producing performance.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »