Home

Min Player Speed Threshold??

This is a discussion on Min Player Speed Threshold?? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-23-2022, 10:40 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Min Player Speed Threshold??

Can someone please explain to me how this works. I have linemen & LB's catching WR & backs who even get a 10 yard start on them but yet they get caught almost 90% of the time. I have it set to 10 am I doing something wrong here it also doesnt feel like the R2 for sprint is doing anything either. I havent played Madden in close to 20 years so some of these items I am not familiar with.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2022, 10:55 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Min Player Speed Threshold??

The lower the value, the more noticeable speed/acceleration differences are between players. The higher the value, the less noticeable the difference is.

Just an FYI, a former EA dev has stated that a value of 95 is the most authentic value, but EA keeps the default value where it is because the average casual fan really doesn't perceive the type of athletic freaks that make up the NFL.

As for the issue you're having, if you're not exaggerating I am not sure exactly what is going on. With it at 95, having a difference much less than yours at 10, I don't see backs and receivers getting caught from behind when they have 10 yard starts 90% of the time. If I ever get a player in space with a 10 yard cushion between them and the defense, it's basically getting housed more often than not because 10 yards is a lot to make up from any point on the field.

Are you sure your players are not fatigued or that your R2 even works on your controller?

― Plato
Old 09-23-2022, 11:12 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

Ok thanks for the info I will try that then.. I have 2 controllers & tried both. I did a practice franchise when I first got the game & the R2 worked and that was everything set to default.
Old 09-23-2022, 01:14 PM   #4
MVP

icicle22's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCFeagin
Ok thanks for the info I will try that then.. I have 2 controllers & tried both. I did a practice franchise when I first got the game & the R2 worked and that was everything set to default.
Not to beat a dead horse but if momentum is in the other teams favor it could be gimping your speed and boosting theirs to accomplish this. At least some of the time. Just saying I've seen this happen and I'm almost sure that it's momentum causing it in some of the cases.
Old 09-24-2022, 12:23 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
The lower the value, the more noticeable speed/acceleration differences are between players. The higher the value, the less noticeable the difference is.

Just an FYI, a former EA dev has stated that a value of 95 is the most authentic value, but EA keeps the default value where it is because the average casual fan really doesn't perceive the type of athletic freaks that make up the NFL.

As for the issue you're having, if you're not exaggerating I am not sure exactly what is going on. With it at 95, having a difference much less than yours at 10, I don't see backs and receivers getting caught from behind when they have 10 yard starts 90% of the time. If I ever get a player in space with a 10 yard cushion between them and the defense, it's basically getting housed more often than not because 10 yards is a lot to make up from any point on the field.

Are you sure your players are not fatigued or that your R2 even works on your controller?
I sure wish those same devs took the time to test play their own game before providing that type of feedback.

I'd be curious to know since the game is built on top of old code year after year have, they actually sat down and thoroughly tested this setting themselves.

Seems kind of way out there in left field since they admitted a few years ago they didn't even know the extent as to how much value the sliders offer to gameplay.

no disrespect but when I have to lower a Run Block slider down to 0 just to get a semblance of realistic rushing attack, I'm going to assume that 95 threshold is pure speculation because at this point does anyone at EA truly know what's going on with their own gameplay options?

Can that dev confidently tell us that the INT slider at 0 is the most realistic setting at Madden if we wish to see very few INT's.

So, I'm really: when they speak about what's the most authentic and what's not in their game now days

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2022, 01:01 AM   #6
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Also, how "former" is this former dev ? Like 1 or 2 years removed or 5 or more years removed ? Because if it is beyond 2 years, then what they know might no longer hold true anymore.
Old 09-24-2022, 02:05 AM   #7
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
Also, how "former" is this former dev ? Like 1 or 2 years removed or 5 or more years removed ? Because if it is beyond 2 years, then what they know might no longer hold true anymore.
Yeah, I think at this point it's all speculation when it comes to threshold.

I would believe that 95 is most authentic if an EA dev could come out and say their own sliders work and function as intended with confidence.

But not one single dev has ever come out to my knowledge and stated that so I'm not sure how one of them can confidently say threshold at 95 is most authentic when they don't even know if the threshold slider works properly or as intended.

Hell, years ago, there were rumblings that sliders were reversed.

This year there's a few gameplays sliders that I've witnessed for myself that seem to render very realistic player movements and behavior on the field with a 0 setting.

Like this play here you'll see the DB slip in coverage, and I've never seen that happen in Madden until I put Pass Reaction at 0

Same thing here Derrick Henry gets stood up in the backfield and the whistle blows the play dead as his momentum is stopped. This is yet another example of gameplay I've never seen until I lowered a specific slider all the way down

They release the game every year with the same definition of what each slider does, yet their definition is so generic that it doesn't really explain much at all.

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14
Old 09-24-2022, 04:15 AM   #8
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Top speed doesn't change.

Raising Threshold brings the low end closer to the high end.

Realistic is 90-100, but that doesn't always produce the best gameplay, so slider-makers average in the 50-75 range.

See Slider forum for further discussion.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »