Home

So much for disk space being what was holding Madden back.

This is a discussion on So much for disk space being what was holding Madden back. within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #49
Banned

steelersfan77's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: So much for disk space being what was holding Madden back.

What a depressing area of concern. I'm not putting this so much on the developers a its more on electronic arts as a whole. Why give it everything you can when you're not pushed by anybody? Self pride man.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:46 PM   #50
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16

Whoops. Looks like the back of the box on PS4 said 16 mb minimum. Wow.

Regardless, game sizes are not an indicator of quality, and disk space was never the problem.

Skyrim, for example, was smaller than Madden on 360. The things that typically eat up a ton of disc space are audio and video. My assumption is that the EA games aren't using high-enough quality audio and little to no video.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #51
Pro

Lexicon's Arena

I don't expect what I say to change anyone's mind about this matter, because clearly folks made their minds up a while back (yet most will still buy the game, I'm sure). Gameplay videos WILL NOT make you FEEL the changes in gameplay, so I'm not sure why anyone's fixated on that. If you want gameplay footage, check out the Smart Glass video, there's gameplay in that.

I'm not saying the Gameplay changes actually feel different. I have not played the game. Those that have have played maybe a quarter or so, so I wouldn't trust them anymore than I'd trust EA's "IT'S A GAME CHANGER." I'll pick up the game with my PS4 and make my own opinion on the game. Gameplay vids will do absolutely nothing for me, unless the gameplay has major glitches and player models have deformities. Which, if that's the case, EA wouldn't release that sort of thing even if they did release gameplay footage.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #52
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by poster
They didn't make many gameplay changes. The trenches changes are welcome, but they still look manufactured with smoke and mirrors instead of being realistic. Too programmed without the dynamic nature you should see in this area. True step is an absolute joke. Two players on the field use it? So ten more years and everyone else will use it? Not sure how this barebones feature can even affect gameplay. The other players will still morph and not realistically move around the field.

Nothing else seems to be done. This on top of this team always using hardware and disc space as an excuse. Once it's available, they can't take advantage of the system power and don't use the space.
The bold is what makes the info so baffling because we have heard ad nauseam from Tiburon how they had maxed out the current gen consoles, so just wait to see what they do with more space and power on new consoles. Claiming how they were so prepared for the new console transition, 2+ years of work, again, just wait and see. However now that the new consoles have arrived, it's just wait a few more years until they really delve into what the new consoles and tech can do. This is all reminding me of Dave Chappelle's Turn My Headphones Up skit, lol.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:00 PM   #53
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Man, oh, man, the wheels are starting to unravel.

Luuuuuuuuuuucy, you have some splain' to do.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:00 PM   #54
Just started!

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon
Oh jeez. I thought we were past the days of whining over how much disc space was used. Guess not. The major changes they made to NG Madden was gameplay, which isn't necessarily going to take up a whole lot of disc space. Should they be embarrassed that 2K was able to jam as much as they could into their first try? Absolutely. However, EA Tiburon has admitted all along that their focus was delivering a different gameplay experience.

Lex,

It is not matter of people, "whining over how much a disc space was used." but rather, how much value someone perceives they are getting from spending their hard-earned money.

On one hand you have a company (2k) who seems to be giving it their all by keeping the fan-base informed with Constant updates, explaining to exactly what they have to look forward to from this generation of console, and truly trying to make a happy, satisfied customer.

On the other hand, (EA) has been very stingy with the information they have released. The info that has been released has been HYPED only, and not really explained. No, they don't have an obligation to explain anything, but the stark difference in how these two companies are going about things cannot be overstated.

The 12GB(Madden) vs 49GB (2k) informs consumers of exactly how much value (bang for the buck) they will be getting. It also tells us how much effort a company has put into a particular product. It is very apparent, that one is sorely lacking in value, and quite frankly, has been lacking for......8 years now, and appears to be carrying over into this generation.

If I might add, this is a culmination of things that have lead to our frustration to this point. Not just the size of the install. If nothing else the biggest supporters of Madden over the years (me included) feel jaded by this .....as we have been their biggest supporters throughout the years.

It just feels.....Lackluster
Old 11-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #55
Tecmo Super Bowl = GOAT

charter04's Arena

OVR: 21

I'm no fanboy of a company. I have almost all EA sports games. I like current Madden 25 and like it. My problem with the Madden team and EA sports as a whole to a certain extent is every year they and fans make excuse after excuse. I want to know when you here the 2K or the show guys making all these excuses? The 2k basketball guys had the same limitations as the Madden team. They just kept making good games. Now they get on next gen and the same thing seems to be happening.

We are already making the same old excuses with Madden. This is just the first game. Don't expect too much out of a launch title. Lol. Come on. It doesn't seem to be a problem with other companies and their games. 2K basketball seems to be giving us our monies worth. Not sure what EA sports is giving us. Excuses?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #56
Pro

Lexicon's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by geauxtygrs
Lex,

It is not matter of people, "whining over how much a disc space was used." but rather, how much value someone perceives they are getting from spending their hard-earned money.

On one hand you have a company (2k) who seems to be giving it their all by keeping the fan-base informed with Constant updates, explaining to exactly what they have to look forward to from this generation of console, and truly trying to make a happy, satisfied customer.

On the other hand, (EA) has been very stingy with the information they have released. The info that has been released has been HYPED only, and not really explained. No, they don't have an obligation to explain anything, but the stark difference in how these two companies are going about things cannot be overstated.

The 12GB(Madden) vs 49GB (2k) informs consumers of exactly how much value (bang for the buck) they will be getting. It also tells us how much effort a company has put into a particular product. It is very apparent, that one is sorely lacking in value, and quite frankly, has been lacking for......8 years now, and appears to be carrying over into this generation.

If I might add, this is a culmination of things that have lead to our frustration to this point. Not just the size of the install. If nothing else the biggest supporters of Madden over the years (me included) feel jaded by this .....as we have been their biggest supporters throughout the years.

It just feels.....Lackluster
I understand the basis of the theory, I'm just not sold that "whoever has the most gigs is the better game" argument. Nor do I believe "More gigs means more effort." The majority of EA's time spent on NG was spent developing the foundation of True Step and re-writing the blocking.

It is disappointing that True Step won't be seen all over the field, but you have to be at least a little pleased that they care enough to focus on footing. They could just say "screw it" and focus on putting in a weekly highlight show, but they seem to want the gameplay to go in a different direction. The blocking, in theory, will change how a lot of people play, myself included. I sometimes catch myself dropping back way further than I should, but I still get away with that. Supposedly, that won't be the case this time around.

Back to the size of the download though, it seems all EA's sizes are on the lower side, which is something I'm very curious to find out the reason for.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »