Home

GRAPHICS ? OR GAMEPLAY.? Whats really more important.?

This is a discussion on GRAPHICS ? OR GAMEPLAY.? Whats really more important.? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-13-2013, 07:20 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 2
Re: GRAPHICS ? OR GAMEPLAY.? Whats really more important.?

Thanks for the reply's but my question isn't about 2k games, It is about Madden next gen and why graphics seem to be more important than game play to many Madden players. I do agree, too the casual gamer, Eye candy seems to be the main factor.. But I don't think calling them filthy is appropriate. My guess is the majority of those are players are under the age of 25 just looking to have some fun, play a few games, and don't care about franchise. I agree, The better looking a game is adds to the pleasure. Like call of duty, racing games, shootem ups,, But these are games of fantasy and realism isn't a factor.. So driving through a city at 100 mph, flipping over 12 times and landing back on your wheels with out damage just don't happen. Fighting dragons with swords, magic potions and 25 lives don't happen, so graphics are crucial for game sales, and there isn't anything to compare them to except other fantasy games. But sports games are a different story. They are real, they have stats, they have rules, We visually watch them week after week. We generally know what to expect and what to look for. Golf is golf and if you play a serious video golf game, You don't want to see a golf ball shaped like a jet and when you hit it, it throttles up and takes off. You simply want to play a realistic game of golf.. You can compare your score to real scores, Your stats matter. And the same goes for any sports game. To the serious gamer, realism, stats, fundamentals, and over all game play have to matter the most. Eye candy, secondary.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:32 PM   #10
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0

I want realism, but to a point...I want proper stats for the time played, but then at the same time, we are generally shrinking 15 minute quarters to 5 minutes because who has the consistent time to play 15 minute quarters?

So there is that give and take between reality and gaming...And each person seems to have their idea what is good reality and what isn't...I am all for real penalties and injuries and player errors, IF, I can tie them into actual attributes and see the actual play out of the event in the game...Random actions bug the heck out of me as much as unrealistic lack of real life events; for example - I have yet to see an offensive or defensive lineman get injured..smh..

Getting proper "sim" results would be a great leap forward...I remember playing FBPro98 as part of a league and we would send our gameplans and playbooks to a commish who would then sim all the games and the results were believable - that was 1998; EA still cannot get it right? That does suck..Get Tiburon out of there and get real programmers...
Old 11-13-2013, 07:40 PM   #11
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28

If I had to choose, gameplay; no question.

The problem is that with this being pretty much a port up from old-gen (which I'm OK with to a point), I expect some attention to be paid to SOMETHING. Right now, I don't feel they upgraded much of anything at all in Madden. Basically, if I can't get the upgrade in gameplay I expect is reasonable, then I expect visuals to be better. I would take either. But, right now, based on what I'm seeing, I'm not getting ANY. And THAT is my problem with this series.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #12
Banned

ghettogeeksta's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmafia13
2k has better graphics.
Not in 05, 06, 07, 08, and so on.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:01 PM   #13
Pro

OVR: 8

it's 2013 so both graphics and gameplay are very important and you're only kidding yourself if you think otherwise. With the technology we have now realistic looking graphics shouldn't be a problem with sports games and many games in general.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #14
Pro

OVR: 11

I see this question all the time and in this day and age you must have both. One without the other is just not going to get it done. However, If a game plays great but looks like crap I get bored quickly but if a game looks amazing but is unplayable then it doesn't get played at all.

I suppose if I thought about it a little longer, game play would have the edge for me but not by much.

The problem with this game is other games are looking way better and play way better so now it's a whole bigger issue. I don't know what they need to do at this point but its falling behind other games more and more every year.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:32 PM   #15
MVP

Hiro1's Arena

OVR: 7

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2013, 08:52 PM   #16
Banned

billsmafia13's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettogeeksta
Not in 05, 06, 07, 08, and so on.
I disagree. I always thought Live's player models were too similar and shiny.

But I think graphics include animations and that is why I think you can't separate gameplay from graphics. For example, I consider sliding to be a " graphics" issue. Ball physics, db/wr interaction, OL/DL etc. all need the right animations and graphics.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »