Home

Stretch plays and cutting

This is a discussion on Stretch plays and cutting within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-25-2013, 10:11 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Stretch plays and cutting

I was wondering if anyone could provide any advice on how to make a sharp one cut up field on stretches and zone plays? I feel that true step has removed this from happening and now everything is rounded out and too many steps are taken when you get to the edge. I thought they had done a good job with this on Madden 25 on the the 360 with the ability to make these cuts.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-25-2013, 10:21 AM   #2
MVP

icicle22's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Stretch plays and cutting

I agree to some degree but I have found that you have to have a very light touch and don't use the sprint option. If I am sprinting towards the outside on a toss play, and I realize the defense has strung it out and it's not going to work, and I want to cut back and hit a hole that has opened, my RB does an extended animation of slowing down and changing speeds. This is to try to add some sense of "momentum" but just comes of as an extended canned animation that takes control away for too long. By the time the animation is over the Defense usually swallows me up and I feel frustrated.

I am learning to not sprint at all and just "jog" behind the O line and when I think I can get around the end, I commit and "sprint" outside. If I see a hole open up (before sprint) I can cut back and hit the hole and sprint then.

It seems as though the sprint button needs to be used in quick bursts rather than all the time....like in previous Maddens.

I think we all have to get used to a slightly more realistic way of making decisions regarding what we are going to commit to before we sprint. And I agree that in Madden 25 CG I could cut back so much easier.....even when sprinting. I initially missed that in the NG version but I am learning to love this way more.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #3
MVP

Kaiser Wilhelm's Arena

OVR: 8

Yes, the sprint button is what is causing your problems. I'm not sure if Clint's live stream is archived yet, but this was said in that stream.

Wait for your blocks to set themselves up. When you start your sprint behind the line, you have basically already made up your mind on what way you are going. I don't have the game so I cannot say if it is too unresponsive but I like the the idea conceptually.
If anybody is interested in a "spiritual successor to the socom franchise, check out this thread.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #4
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

You definitely cannot go around "sprinting" every place...Have to wait for blockers and blocks..From what I understand the ball carrier has 3 speeds - 1) your slow speed when you run while holding the 'left trigger," precision button, 2) your burst speed when holding the "right trigger," and 3) your normal speed when you are not holding any buttons....All 3 levels of speed seem to require practice and utilization.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
You definitely cannot go around "sprinting" every place...Have to wait for blockers and blocks..From what I understand the ball carrier has 3 speeds - 1) your slow speed when you run while holding the 'left trigger," precision button, 2) your burst speed when holding the "right trigger," and 3) your normal speed when you are not holding any buttons....All 3 levels of speed seem to require practice and utilization.
Exactly, and I think this is so much more realisitic. Swerve running tournament players might hate it, but I love it

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-25-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
Pro

BiggestKJ's Arena

OVR: 10

Echoing what people said:

Be smart with your sprint button. Want to hit the hole faster or breakaway when you see daylight? Sprint. Trying to set the edge? Don't sprint. Be patient. Wait for your blockers to set up on the edge for stretch players, screens, off tackles. Remember, your teammates are not going to sprint with you and you can't expect 300 lb. lineman to outpace you.

This means to also respect the sensitivity of the your thumbstick. You need to fully jam it forward unless you need to.

A lot of time I find myself improvising. If the hole I'm supposed to hit collapses, there is normally a bigger one right next to it...take what the defenses give you.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:31 PM   #7
Rookie

The thing is I am not using the sprint button until I want to make my cut up field. I guess other ppl see it differently but it still feels to rounded out too me. It ultimately does get rid of swerve running though which is a plus.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »