Home

Formation Subs - Next Gen

This is a discussion on Formation Subs - Next Gen within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #9
Lord of Suffering

Darth Aegis's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Formation Subs - Next Gen

Ya i really wish subs worked bummer

Playing:
Old 03-24-2014, 04:03 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0

I too wish for a preset formation sub. I tend to need to use a timeout so I can set my offense sub.

It can be so frustrating on defense to set your sub when your opponent quickly select his plays.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:27 AM   #11
Pro

Trick13's Arena

I still say that custom sub packages is the better feature - for users anyway.
On PS2, this was a feature that allowed you so much freedom and control - you could have packages that brought in your 3rd HB, with your 2nd QB, swap WR sides, extra OL at TE and put TE #2 in the slot - all in one "package".

At this point, formation subs is not enough...

And why the CPU never uses its backups is beyond my comprehension...but formation subs (even if they carry over from game to game) will only work for offline gamers...

@JaymeeAwesome - the facts are all over M25;

EA draft classes where every year multiple DTs have 84 or higher SPD
7'4" TEs, 6'7" 97 speed players - a WR @ 6'1" and 265 lbs, safeties and LBs with 65 speed, CBs with low 70s Speed
Default game play settings = no defense
XP progression
OTs still have no "kick slide" animation for wide pass rush
FG/PAT defense formation still has player lined up over the long snapper (TGTSNBN got that right over ten years ago)
Precision modifier!!!
Over accuracy of QBs- 33 for 36 with 3 INTs
Punts never bounce backwards (regardless of Punt Accuracy slider setting)
XP progression
No adaptive AI
Comeback/Deep out routes destroying every version of man coverage
Sluggos/Stop n Go/Out n Up routes look nothing like they do IRL
durability has zero impact on OVR despite real world indicators like Vick
KR Left/Right does not function properly
The only way to block a FG/PAT is a "cheat" code nano setup
No short yardage "scrum"
XP progression
terrible scheme implementation
Scouting without combine/ pro day numbers
The coach package system
And, in case I forgot to mention it, - XP progression

The "facts" as you say - well the proof is in the pudding...

Last edited by Trick13; 03-25-2014 at 12:30 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2014, 09:48 AM   #12
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaymeeAwesome
Please provide some facts that support this. Making accusations like this requires some facts behind it.
Whether they watch football or not, they still develop for arcade and not sim or realism, both on and off the field. The FACT is staring right at us in the game itself. XP Goals for progression?
Old 03-25-2014, 11:58 AM   #13
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

There's a lot of chatter in this topic that doesn't deal with formation subs that needs to stop.

The general trend in this forum of derailing every thread with an enumerated list of every perceived flaw of Madden NFL as a football simulation in every thread also needs to stop.

Stay on topic, please. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:00 PM   #14
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick13
I still say that custom sub packages is the better feature - for users anyway.
On PS2, this was a feature that allowed you so much freedom and control - you could have packages that brought in your 3rd HB, with your 2nd QB, swap WR sides, extra OL at TE and put TE #2 in the slot - all in one "package".

At this point, formation subs is not enough...
Here, here... wish I could like this post twice. Been saying this for years; we're way pass formation subs. It's got to be custom packages at this point; formation subs are way too limiting. With custom packages you can really unleash your creativity and build your roster towards more specialization -- which is where the NFL is at this point -- if you've got a tweener LB with pass rush skills, you can create a kind of elephant package for him. You got a Red Bryant who is strictly a run stopper, you can create that package. You've got a Brandon Jacobs/Jerome Bettis kind of back that you only want to use in short yardage or around the goal line, there you go.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:05 PM   #15
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Put me in the custom personnel packages crowd as well.

They took a step towards this last year with a personnel package step in the play calling interface. Hopefully the game take the next logical step forward to this end.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2014, 08:08 PM   #16
Pro

Trick13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
There's a lot of chatter in this topic that doesn't deal with formation subs that needs to stop.

The general trend in this forum of derailing every thread with an enumerated list of every perceived flaw of Madden NFL as a football simulation in every thread also needs to stop.

Stay on topic, please. Thanks.

Apologies. Built up frustration released, moving on.

I wish that EA would couple "custom sub packages" with player "types" in such a way that teams would utilize certain backups in certain situations.

Take the 49ers - they have Gore who you would classify as a "power feature" back, Lattimore who you could call a "power back" and James as a "speed" back. Now, how cool would it be to play against the 9ers controlled by the CPU and have Gore rip off a few nice runs, "go get a breather" and James comes in catches a screen pass, then Lattimore gets a gut option hand off the next play, then Lattimore off tackle, then James back in for a sweep or quick option. Then Gore comes trotting back in and finishes off the drive.

I mean EA has begun to "label" players - and while I sincerely wish they would ditch the scheme "label" on players, the player type could be utilized within the game logically to utilize CPU teams' backup players...

And they could allow for the CPU to "analyze" user created custom sub packages and "replicate" them - meaning USER A creates a package = TE slot, 3rd HB (speed), WR swap and calls it SS Lightning. The player uses that package on their outside runs let's say 27 percent of the time they run an outside running play - could the CPU not track that and then "replicate" that say by having a similar package, but in their case the speedy back is #2 so their package becomes TE slot, HB spell, WR swap and they use it about 25-30 percent of their designed "outside" runs???

I mean, seriously the consoles are getting very powerful at this point, they have the tech to make this happen and it would only require a smudgen of creativity from the programming guys...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »