Home

Your Opinion of Man and Zone Coverage in Madden Next-Gen

This is a discussion on Your Opinion of Man and Zone Coverage in Madden Next-Gen within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #41
Pro

OVR: 4
Re: Your Opinion of Man and Zone Coverage in Madden Next-Gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACZILLA
It's an interesting point about the result of the coverage being better vs. whether or not it's a technically realistic representation of what it should look like.

I'm not an expert on technique so I tend to put my focus more on the result of the play rather than how it was achieved. I guess even if I were an expert I'd probably consider that more important, but obviously you want to get the desired result and in the right way.

Anecdotally, I feel like both man and zone are a little bit better. I agree that sometimes I'm having to support the scheme with tweaks that aren't ideal. Still, a little better than what I've seen on Gen3 in recent years.
Everything is better than on current gen. I don't think anyone can argue that. The degree of that difference is where the argument lies. i don't think you have to be guru to be able to assess the game. The way I look at it is like this. The game has been out literally 1 month and 3 days. There was almost zero learning curve outside of learning how to control the ball carrier. I think that's why ppl feel like it's same, myself included. I still enjoy the game. I just don't don't see a completely different experience as far as pass coverage is concerned.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-17-2013, 04:57 PM   #42
Run After Catch

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghustla
Everything is better than on current gen. I don't think anyone can argue that. The degree of that difference is where the argument lies. i don't think you have to be guru to be able to assess the game. The way I look at it is like this. The game has been out literally 1 month and 3 days. There was almost zero learning curve outside of learning how to control the ball carrier. I think that's why ppl feel like it's same, myself included. I still enjoy the game. I just don't don't see a completely different experience as far as pass coverage is concerned.
Yeah, everyone is going to have a different take in terms of what they value. When I say I'm not a technical expert, what I mean is that I'm mostly looking to see I can't easily throw for 600 yards a game as opposed to the fact that the CPU AI isn't making decisions we might like them to in the wish for complete realism.

I agree there's not a massive learning curve. It's probably a little more than what I experienced year to year on Gen3, but after a couple of days in the lab I feel like I can mostly execute the way I want to.

For whatever reason, the game does feel more fresh and interesting to me than the last few years. I think at least part of it is that I took a bit of a step back after being knee deep in it for such a long time.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #43
Rookie

Totalpackage83's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
I am saying this is a video game...Thought that was obvious without actually having to mention that fact.

In reality land, the players have a set of directions, reads, checks, etc etc for which they should follow, and coaches vary on what the responsibilities are...Players are responsible for carrying out the plays and directions as they are coached...Obviously freedoms are granted to players for any number of reasons..

Without actually seeing a video of the play in question, anything at this point is a matter of opinions and speculations...Already we have inconsistencies as to what was going on during the play in question - originally it was stated the defenders were, "both about 8 yards away from roddy white." Now you are saying the defenders were, "a few yards away." which is it? A few yards or 8 yards could be the difference between a receiver being in a defender's zone or not. What rules should we use for abandoning zones? Should the LB or Safety have the responsibility? If players know what to do, why in the NFL we see players finding the "seam" or finding the spot between zones to sit down and catch a pass?
Yea the old "it's a videogame speech". Never mind the fact that other companies have done just what we are asking years ago on much less powerful hardware. No one is asking for perfect coverage. That doesn't exist but Madden's zone coverage has needed work for years.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:09 AM   #44
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totalpackage83
Yea the old "it's a videogame speech". Never mind the fact that other companies have done just what we are asking years ago on much less powerful hardware. No one is asking for perfect coverage. That doesn't exist but Madden's zone coverage has needed work for years.
When Madden ceases to be a video game, I guess we can stop with the video game speech..lol..Anyway, I am not saying it is great coverage in Madden...I would prefer the ability to edit plays with the adjustment options and save them to use in playbooks and share through the share feature. I would like to have more control over zone size and placement, as well as being able to assign which of my defenders covers which offensive player.

my position is that I believe Madden wants people to make adjustments and user control on defense and therefore makes basic defensive plays and leaves it up to the user to play the game...So for now, if someone wants to be good at defense, they must adjust...I have not seen anything from EA/Tiburon to lead me to believe that they will improve defense anytime soon. I don't even believe they know how, in regards to the coding, to make the necessary changes...I believe the game needs to be built from the ground up.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #45
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
When Madden ceases to be a video game, I guess we can stop with the video game speech..lol..Anyway, I am not saying it is great coverage in Madden...I would prefer the ability to edit plays with the adjustment options and save them to use in playbooks and share through the share feature. I would like to have more control over zone size and placement, as well as being able to assign which of my defenders covers which offensive player.

my position is that I believe Madden wants people to make adjustments and user control on defense and therefore makes basic defensive plays and leaves it up to the user to play the game...So for now, if someone wants to be good at defense, they must adjust...I have not seen anything from EA/Tiburon to lead me to believe that they will improve defense anytime soon. I don't even believe they know how, in regards to the coding, to make the necessary changes...I believe the game needs to be built from the ground up.
Yes but it is too much you need to adjust to get your players to do what you want. For instance if the game had true shading, I would like for my corners to schematically play a certain way. I run cover 1 sometimes so let's say the ball is on the left hash mark. Well I'm going to help the field side CB with the FS, but the boundary side CB I need him to play all routes inside and use the sideline because he's not going to get any help. The field corner can play with outside technique because I'm helping him with vertical inside routes. It is a waste of time IMO for me to have to individually press these buttons to get both corners to do that. Why can't I just set that up as a part of the game plan? Then when I get on the field I can make other adjustments rather than messing around with that. Their plays are only templates but to get what you want you have to take a lot of steps and you just don't have time for all of that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-18-2013, 11:10 AM   #46
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Also it is a disgrace that you cannot match up in this game. I know a great deal of times most NFL teams do not match up. But there are times where they do match up with best CB on best WR. You cannot do that here. They need to bring back some kind of best on best system. So if I want my best CB covering the best WR when the best WR always lines up on the perimeter then I should be able to have that. But if the best WR lines up in the slot and I don't want my best CB there I should be able to do that, but if I do, then I should be able to do that too.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:36 PM   #47
Run After Catch

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
Also it is a disgrace that you cannot match up in this game. I know a great deal of times most NFL teams do not match up. But there are times where they do match up with best CB on best WR. You cannot do that here. They need to bring back some kind of best on best system. So if I want my best CB covering the best WR when the best WR always lines up on the perimeter then I should be able to have that. But if the best WR lines up in the slot and I don't want my best CB there I should be able to do that, but if I do, then I should be able to do that too.
Yeah, we really need this. Another Gen2 era feature that should come back. I've run into a couple of situations online where I've burned a timeout because I have a mismatch in the slot.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #48
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:

I have to respectfully disagree. If Madden Devs wanted the game to be more user-based why did they add Ball Hawk and tackle assist? Those are CPU assisted actions taking over for the player.

Ppl don't have a problem with making adjustments. I think you are missing the point. The topic wasn't about adjustments. Its about the coverage in madden which many feel is subpar. I don't mind adjusting to purple zones. But what I do mind is that if I dont every single play. another player (and even the cpu) can run a post route on every play for 300+ passing a game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »