Home

Your Opinion of Man and Zone Coverage in Madden Next-Gen

This is a discussion on Your Opinion of Man and Zone Coverage in Madden Next-Gen within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #49
Pro

OVR: 4
Re: Your Opinion of Man and Zone Coverage in Madden Next-Gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
Yes but it is too much you need to adjust to get your players to do what you want. For instance if the game had true shading, I would like for my corners to schematically play a certain way. I run cover 1 sometimes so let's say the ball is on the left hash mark. Well I'm going to help the field side CB with the FS, but the boundary side CB I need him to play all routes inside and use the sideline because he's not going to get any help. The field corner can play with outside technique because I'm helping him with vertical inside routes. It is a waste of time IMO for me to have to individually press these buttons to get both corners to do that. Why can't I just set that up as a part of the game plan? Then when I get on the field I can make other adjustments rather than messing around with that. Their plays are only templates but to get what you want you have to take a lot of steps and you just don't have time for all of that.

Where have you been all my life? I've been saying this for the longest. And it is the 1 thing that is my biggest grip on next gen presently above all else. I will start by saying the Oline definitely plays better as a unit than before but every position in this game needs this treatment. Players don't have actual assignments! As was mentioned. My DB should know what coverage we are running and where his help is. given the down distance, play call and ball placement he should react accordingly. WEAKSIDE OLB/DE why on earth are you crashing downhill into the tackle like there is a magnet drawing you to him instead of setting a hard edge on running plays you are the only thing protecting that side of the field? DB with inside help why are you giving up the outside? I know the devs need time to hone these things but with 1000x calculations I hope these things are addressed to create a more fluid game.

Even with WR against Zone coverage..when does route running come into play? WR with high RR should be running their routes slower in open parts of the zones for the QB to find them in the soft spot. Not running through the soft spots at regulars speed and into more coverage. For example when running a deep dig against cover 3. There is a window between the outside CB and the first hook zone. My WR should be "sitting down" in this soft area. not every WR is good at recognizing the coverage. but all of the great WR are.

Those example represent true football awareness not just saying the player saw you were running outside and started running outside avoiding blockers, and putting your hand out to prevent running into lineman.

Last edited by dghustla; 12-18-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #50
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
Yes but it is too much you need to adjust to get your players to do what you want. For instance if the game had true shading, I would like for my corners to schematically play a certain way. I run cover 1 sometimes so let's say the ball is on the left hash mark. Well I'm going to help the field side CB with the FS, but the boundary side CB I need him to play all routes inside and use the sideline because he's not going to get any help. The field corner can play with outside technique because I'm helping him with vertical inside routes. It is a waste of time IMO for me to have to individually press these buttons to get both corners to do that. Why can't I just set that up as a part of the game plan? Then when I get on the field I can make other adjustments rather than messing around with that. Their plays are only templates but to get what you want you have to take a lot of steps and you just don't have time for all of that.

I agree - and I have mentioned before that the user should be able to set their coverages prior to a game...I would like the ability to make adjustments, such as in practice mode, and then save the adjusted defensive play to be used in playbooks and shared online.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #51
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
I agree - and I have mentioned before that the user should be able to set their coverages prior to a game...I would like the ability to make adjustments, such as in practice mode, and then save the adjusted defensive play to be used in playbooks and shared online.
Before any of this could happen, it has to be extensively tested, I'm tired of being a beta tester and having to wait until the following yr to see how things work out. Or we have the people who are too lazy to play football, come up with gimmicks from this and the follwers start doing their following like every year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-19-2013, 02:04 PM   #52
Rookie

OVR: 1

I like the coverage in the game now, but I will 100% agree with the person calling for matchup settings to be brought back. Still baffles me why they removed what most consider an integral part of the game.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:49 AM   #53
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
Sounds like some people need to get into the practice of coaching their defense. Make adjustments to the defense to match up against the offenses that you are facing...I know, it means not being lazy...

Fact is, you are the head coach, the assistants, the position coaches, etc...Thus you have to make all the adjustments...If real football players knew everything to do, like some Madden players believe they should, then there would be no need for football coaches..Madden represents the football coaching game by requiring the user to make adjustments as any coach would do.

Now then, Madden could maybe use universal coaching adjustments, that are set before each game as default adjustment basics, for example - I should be able to tell my DB's to shade inside, outside, over or under for the whole game, rather than each play, but still be able to make play by play adjustments that will reset to my base play adjustments..Or that I am gonna play my DL as a "spread" as my default DL adjustment for a game...

There can be improvements made to defense, obviously; just think people need to take the initiative in running their defense...The game of Madden gives you the basic Cover 2, Cover 3, Cover 4, 2 Man Under defenses - There are many variations to each coverage that are used by different coaches and different directions they give their players in running the defenses...
Hey i know what you mean with in-game adjustments and they are great and are necessary to having a solid pass defense, but beyond that you must be given a better base to begin with. The computer alignments are terrible and some of the (coverage)adjustments do no justice when they move certain players who don't need to be re-positioned.

Madden hasn't added any concepts to field alignment, never, they have continued align the corners and safety's the same way since i can remember playing football on game consoles. Then you have to take in the account that no matter if the offense is running HU or not, their is not enough time(occasionally there are) to make all the adjustments needed for specific play and it usually based on the formations/sets the offense comes out in(Spread,tight,Bunch, etc.)

It really makes it difficult if players want to continue to get better. I am very good a getting my defensive adjustments togethers but i'd really prefer if i can "coach" my players on what to do before they line up on the field to any specific plays i pick and then i could do smaller adjustments to spread,tight, and bunch formations. It's to complicated to have to make 5-10 adjustments in 5 or less seconds at EVERY snap.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:17 AM   #54
Banned

4thQtrStre5S, btw i know what i said was similar to what you were saying about pre-set-adjusments and such. just wanted to clarify that.

I also would like the coverage guys play with more instincts.. when they have no one in their zone..

I think this thread proves how important this concept is to the game of football in Madden.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »