Home

Angry Joe put Madden (next gen) on list of 10 worst games of 2013

This is a discussion on Angry Joe put Madden (next gen) on list of 10 worst games of 2013 within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-10-2014, 10:02 PM   #41
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Re: Angry Joe put Madden (next gen) on list of 10 worst games of 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by born_bad
it's a good thing he went to the extreme of calling it one of the worst games of the year. If nothing else, it will generate some conversation about it in a bigger scheme. I'm sure he has tons of comments already going on on his Youtube channel and Facebook page.
Yeah because ranting and raving and going to extremes does wonders for his credibility.

I think you're way overestimating the impact of Angry Joe. Until his scores start showing up in Metacritc composites EA won't care.

I think we all see what the OP had in mind when he created this thread. Seen this movie before, so I'll eject.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2014, 10:04 PM   #42
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
Yes, the NFL came to EA with the exclusive right....
That's a long-standing myth. You should check out the case documents still available online of Pecover V. Electronics Arts, the case that blew the lid off the whole situation, complete with actual internal memos of EA Execs specifically discussing approaching the NFL for an exclusive to stop 2K from disrupting the then current price structure with a $19.99 game (NFL 2K5), proving indisputably once and for all that it was EA not the NFL that got the whole thing started all in response to 2K's moves, and also proving it was EA not the NFL that flipped its lid about the price drop (a clarification of another myth we hear people repeat a lot).

The fact that this bombshell was pretty much ignored by the media, the sports gaming media specifically, is another reason why I generally detest mainstream media. The only good thing is, a lot of people figured it didn't go down the way EA claimed it did anyway. I never believed EA. The whole thing seemed fishy from the beginning and now we know why; because it was. That's why when people say things about going easy on them it really irks me, but I understand they say that not realizing the full extent of the damage this company has caused to this sector. This one move completely destroyed football video gaming and the innovation roll it was on, arguably irreparably destroying it at this point. So to me, every bit of flack EA gets is well-deserved. If you decide to make that kind of business move, then you'd better be prepared to deal with what comes when you fail to produce a great product.

I'll tell you what though, I'd bet a lot of money that there are a lot of people on the Madden staff that are dying for that exclusive to go away now so the pressure can go away with it. Those guys have been through the wringer, and deservedly so based on what they've produced for the past decade, but like I said in another post it's time for them and us to be granted some mercy now. This has gone on more than long enough. With Madden's sales in the toilet right now, they could sell just as many copies without an exclusive, and in many years in the PS2 era they sold more. So the only big winner is the NFL and everybody else (especially the gamer) is the loser.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:04 PM   #43
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Just a few posts ago you said you didn't want this to be about him but about the issues.

I responded this so now you want us to talk about the significance of this reviewer again???

No, I just don't think it adds much to say, "Angry Joe is an idiot" and leave it at that. I didn't want to make the thread about whether or not you like Angry Joe and his personality at all, but rather to consider the actual content of what he put in his clip and generate some conversation on whether or not we've become accepting of what EA is doing with this franchise or not.

I think it plays a decent game of football and there are some improvement, but it still falls WAY short of where it could (and probably should) be.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:06 PM   #44

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceMask
That's a long-standing myth. You should check out the case documents still available online of Pecover V. Electronics Arts, the case that blew the lid off the whole situation, complete with actual internal memos of EA Execs specifically discussing approaching the NFL for an exclusive to stop 2K from disrupting the then current price structure with a $19.99 game (NFL 2K5), proving indisputably once and for all that it was EA not the NFL that got the whole thing started all in response to 2K's moves, and also proving it was EA not the NFL that flipped its lid about the price drop (a clarification of another myth we hear people repeat a lot).

The fact that this bombshell was pretty much ignored by the media, the sports gaming media specifically, is another reason why I generally detest mainstream media. The only good thing is, a lot of people figured it didn't go down the way EA claimed it did anyway. I never believed EA. The whole thing seemed fishy from the beginning and now we know why; because it was. That's why when people say things about going easy on them it really irks me, but I understand they say that not realizing the full extent of the damage this company has caused to this sector. This one move completely destroyed football video gaming and the innovation roll it was on, arguably irreparably destroying it at this point. So to me, every bit of flack EA gets is well-deserved. If you decide to make that kind of business move, then you'd better be prepared to deal with what comes when you fail to produce a great product.

I'll tell you what though, I'd bet a lot of money that there are a lot of people on the Madden staff that are dying for that exclusive to go away now so the pressure can go away with it. Those guys have been through the wringer, and deservedly so based on what they've produced for the past decade, but like I said in another post it's time for them and us to be granted some mercy now. This has gone on more than long enough. With Madden's sales in the toilet right now, they could sell just as many copies without an exclusive, and in many years in the PS2 era they sold more. So the only big winner is the NFL and everybody else (especially the gamer) is the loser.
Very interesting post.

There used to be a user here named Big F'n Deal who used to post the same thing all the time.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:14 PM   #45
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Quote:

I have heard the story you present here, giving the Pecover case - I have not read the case, but it would not surprise me that EA did go to the NFL - In my defense I merely said the NFL went to EA out of laziness, as I had no desire to go hunt down the actual facts, in general, as in my point of EA's exclusive deal being a form of monopoly didn't seem require such detailed information, though now, upon your explanation, and me finding the actual case, it would appear that EA did pull a monopoly - they were able to set the game price higher due to the exclusive deal; that sounds as close to a monopoly as I need to show for such an accusation in my previous post...

Thanks for the clarification; I never knew the actual case name...

from the court file :

Plaintiffs allege that EA foreclosed competition in a market for interactive football software by acquiring, in separate agreements, exclusive rights to publish video games using the trademarks and other intellectual property of "the only viable sports football associations and leagues in the United States." Doc # 1 at 4. Plaintiffs allege six causes of action relating to this conduct: (1) violation of section 2 of 979*979 the Sherman Act, 15 U.S.C. § 2; (2) violation of California's Cartwright Act, Cal. Bus. & Prof. Code § 16700 et seq.; (3) violation of California's Unfair Competition Act, Cal. Bus. & Prof. Code § 17200 et seq.; (4) unjust enrichment; and, in the event that the court does not apply California law on a nationwide basis, (5) violation of various other state antitrust and restraint of trade laws; and (6) violation of various state consumer protection and unfair competition laws.

(monopoly)
http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/4/506...den-ncaa-arena

Last edited by 4thQtrStre5S; 01-10-2014 at 10:22 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2014, 10:23 PM   #46
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Pecover v. EA: (if anyone is interested)

http://scholar.google.com/scholar_ca...=1&oi=scholarr

and settlement:

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/12...mentMotion.pdf
Old 01-10-2014, 10:48 PM   #47
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:

So EA forced the NFL to sell them the license exclusively?

I blame the NFL. For this, for the exclusive deal with DirecTV, and for now defending the arcane blackout rules that are out there.

Going exclusive (which wasn't the first time they did it in the video game world) has been the NFL's MO for decades and will not change any time soon.

Last edited by bkrich83; 01-10-2014 at 10:54 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:57 AM   #48
Banned

OVR: 5

Dude made incredibly valid points. Good post.

EDIT:

Just watched the WHOLE portion of Madden. WOW... This guy is SPOT ON. Anybody that disagrees I mean.. I don't know what to say.

Last edited by Jetpac; 01-11-2014 at 02:01 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »