Home

The Original John Madden Football Gameplay Video

This is a discussion on The Original John Madden Football Gameplay Video within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
WWE 2K22 Trailer Announcement and Breakdown
EA Sports PGA TOUR to Exclusively Have All Four Majors
Next-Gen Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2: Is the Upgrade Worth It?
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 01-12-2014, 03:34 PM   #25
Run After Catch

OVR: 13
Re: The Original John Madden Football Gameplay Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by acolbert
Yes Sir! It was Green Bay vs. New England I think. Then during the loading screens it was a picture of the kick off?

I want to say that was Madden 98. That year was the year they had the Tiburon Team, EA Sports Team, all the different kinds of fields too. I used to use the Bucs that year cause they had the new uni's and Mike Alstot (sp?) (one of my favorite players of all time!). That was a fun year for Madden.

Now the games actually do look better than that cinematic.
They did it for 97 and then again in 98. After that they used NFL footage for a little bit. That was cool too though because they had the Lucacris and Xzibit theme songs for 00 and 01.

Then in 02 they combined in-game footage with a song from Pharoahe Monch. I love all of the intros from that era.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2014, 11:03 PM   #26
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

OVR: 6

My first Madden was 95. I got my PS1 when I was 7 or so for X Mas and the first games I got were NHL 98 and a racing game (can't remember what it was called). NHL 98 I played for hours and hours. Anyway I remember a week after Christmas my Dad pulled me aside and showed me Madden 95 hidden under some jackets in a closet. He didn't want my mom to know he bought another game for me. Sure it was Madden 95 and not the newer 98 version, but I couldn't really tell the difference at the time. It wasn't in 3d yet but I remember that opening movie scene being in 3d of the Steelers and Cowboys in the Superbowl or something. Then James Brown would welcome you. I also remember the pregame, half time, and post game shows with James Brown, Pat Summerall, and Madden. I thought it was the coolest thing.

I don't think I got Madden again though until I got my PS2. I was always an NFL Gameday guy because my favorite player of all time Terrell Davis was on the cover. He was on that cover for like 4 years straight so that took me right up to the PS2 days. God does this bring back so many memories. I would make sure I'd win the Super Bowl every year with the Broncos. The worst was when Elway retired and I had Bubby Brister at QB haha.

Boy those were the days though. The days where I could give two craps how realistic a game was or this and that. Now I have completely had it with the NHL series and won't even play the series until it's fixed. It sucks I've come to that but I just think we expect more, because the technology is there. Anyway this is a great topic. Even though I never played the first Madden football I do remember my Dad's Nintendo and I would play NHLPA, Bases Loaded 3, and then the Mario's. It was just an absolute blast.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NFL-Denver Broncos
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea

Last edited by bwiggy33; 01-12-2014 at 11:18 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:56 AM   #27
Banned

OVR: 1
Mine was on the Genesis as well...Winning like 90 - 0
Old 01-13-2014, 01:09 PM   #28
Rookie

moose616's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
My first Madden was 95. I got my PS1 when I was 7 or so for X Mas and the first games I got were NHL 98 and a racing game (can't remember what it was called). NHL 98 I played for hours and hours. Anyway I remember a week after Christmas my Dad pulled me aside and showed me Madden 95 hidden under some jackets in a closet. He didn't want my mom to know he bought another game for me. Sure it was Madden 95 and not the newer 98 version, but I couldn't really tell the difference at the time. It wasn't in 3d yet but I remember that opening movie scene being in 3d of the Steelers and Cowboys in the Superbowl or something. Then James Brown would welcome you. I also remember the pregame, half time, and post game shows with James Brown, Pat Summerall, and Madden. I thought it was the coolest thing.

I don't think I got Madden again though until I got my PS2. I was always an NFL Gameday guy because my favorite player of all time Terrell Davis was on the cover. He was on that cover for like 4 years straight so that took me right up to the PS2 days. God does this bring back so many memories. I would make sure I'd win the Super Bowl every year with the Broncos. The worst was when Elway retired and I had Bubby Brister at QB haha.

Boy those were the days though. The days where I could give two craps how realistic a game was or this and that. Now I have completely had it with the NHL series and won't even play the series until it's fixed. It sucks I've come to that but I just think we expect more, because the technology is there. Anyway this is a great topic. Even though I never played the first Madden football I do remember my Dad's Nintendo and I would play NHLPA, Bases Loaded 3, and then the Mario's. It was just an absolute blast.
I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that games are much more expensive now than they used to be. Sega Genesis and PS1 games were nowhere near $60, even with inflation. I do kind of miss being ignorant to the nuances between virtual and reality.

Madden12
Rosters: Moose's 1993 Rosters for Madden (PS3)

MLB 12: The Show
Diamond Dynasty: Rocky Mountain Moose Knucklez
Old 01-13-2014, 03:19 PM   #29
Banned

OVR: 5
Yes, I played this, and I still have it. It came on a 5 1/4 inch floppy disk. It was amazingly fun for the times.

I would love to load it up but I do not have a drive for the disk anymore
Old 01-13-2014, 06:33 PM   #30
Tecmo Super Bowl = GOAT

charter04's Arena

OVR: 21
I never played that Madden. We were to poor to own a CPU! lol. My first football game was John Elway's QB for NES. It's hard to believe how great games seemed back then compared to how bad they really were. You really had to have a great imagination back in those days. It's not like we didn't know what real football looked like. Some how our imaginations made the difference. ha ha

It was a dream come true just to have real teams and players. lol
Old 01-13-2014, 07:07 PM   #31
Tiger Paw

tyberious4now's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by charter04
I never played that Madden. We were to poor to own a CPU! lol. My first football game was John Elway's QB for NES. It's hard to believe how great games seemed back then compared to how bad they really were. You really had to have a great imagination back in those days. It's not like we didn't know what real football looked like. Some how our imaginations made the difference. ha ha

It was a dream come true just to have real teams and players. lol
I hear ya charter the problem these days are people trying to create real life in video games...

I take it for what it is. I remember that handheld football game with the dots and thought man this can't get no better..lol. Maybe I went back too far!!! Lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2014, 07:09 PM   #32
Banned

OVR: 2
I was there in 88 (junior in high school) and remember it well. It's interesting to look back at those times. Really from around that time and following 10 years or so it was exciting to see the improvements from year to year and the anticipation of what was next was all part of the excitement of football games. My imagination ran wild of what they would come up with next and it could have been something simple like mapping face buttons on a controller to a particular receiver and every year was exciting. There were many football titles to choose from and I probably played and enjoyed most (if not all) of them. Contrast that to the last ten years where that anticipation and excitement has been squelched. Even though what we have these days is far superior to what we had in 88, the thrill and anticipation of seeing what's next is gone. Now it's more an exercise of seeing what EA has removed (or refuses to re-add *cough *cough passing cone) from their game and what glaring issue they refuses to fix.

Even though I'm not terribly disappointed with the current version of Madden, I don't really look forward to the annual release like I did 20 years ago. I have more of a "it is what it is" attitude.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »