Home

The Original John Madden Football Gameplay Video

This is a discussion on The Original John Madden Football Gameplay Video within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
WWE 2K22 Trailer Announcement and Breakdown
EA Sports PGA TOUR to Exclusively Have All Four Majors
Next-Gen Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2: Is the Upgrade Worth It?
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 07-30-2014, 06:10 PM   #65
Tecmo Super Bowl = GOAT

charter04's Arena

OVR: 21
The Original John Madden Football Gameplay Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLWiLL
Anybody play NES PlayAction Football? It had this top-down view with the field at like a 45-degree angle. When I was a kid, back in the late 80s, my Pops didn't know any better, knew nothing about Tecmo Bowl or madden, and he probably just bought that game for me probably because it was cheap, lol. Anyways, the game really sucked, lol.

I still have that game. It was actually pretty sim for its time. A fast 15 min quarters. Players got tired and had to be subbed out. They stupidly made QB's need to be subbed out but still. Lol I greatly preferred Tecmo Super Bowl but, for 1990 it wasn't terrible.

It was one of the few games that used the 4 player adapter. Two guys against two guys was unheard of back then.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2014, 06:53 PM   #66
MVP

iLLWiLL's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: The Original John Madden Football Gameplay Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHawks12
YES!! My brother and I got this for Christmas the year it came out, 1990. We got a small TV that year too for the Nintendo. We set everything up and played it all day on the floor next to the Christmas tree. My aunts/uncles couldn't understand why we were glued to it all day.

It was no Super Tecmo Bowl but it wasn't completely awful. The camera angle was odd though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charter04
I still have that game. It was actually pretty sim for its time. A fast 15 min quarters. Players got tired and had to be subbed out. They stupidly made QB's need to be subbed out but still. Lol I greatly preferred Tecmo Super Bowl but, for 1990 it wasn't terrible.

It was one of the few games that used the 4 player adapter. Two guys against two guys was unheard of back then.

lol. It wasn't as bad as I made it sound, I suppose. It just was nowhere near the level of quality & fun that a Tecmo Bowl was. Really stiff, awkward controls. Although I must say what I did like was the "2K-esque" running controls, how you would have to pound the A-button to run faster, as well as to break tackles!!!
Old 07-30-2014, 08:10 PM   #67
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Anybody play NES PlayAction Football? It had this top-down view with the field at like a 45-degree angle. When I was a kid, back in the late 80s, my Pops didn't know any better, knew nothing about Tecmo Bowl or madden, and he probably just bought that game for me probably because it was cheap, lol. Anyways, the game really sucked, lol.
Sure did. Had fun but the main issue with it was there was no "height" on passes. As long as you were in the path you could intercept it.
Fun times though.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
Old 07-30-2014, 08:13 PM   #68
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
I have this:

Dad got it for my birthday when I was a youngster.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
Old 07-30-2014, 08:59 PM   #69
Pro

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by charter04

I loved that game back then...it was the first game I can remember seeing digitized faces for lol When you went into your depth chart you could see them.

When you looked at SF's roster, it actually kinda looked like Joe Montana's face. Steve Young looked odd, but Joe wasn't half bad LOL

Great fun with it.

Born in '82, 49er Faithful since 1986!
Old 07-30-2014, 11:31 PM   #70
Rookie

OVR: 0

NCAA '94(I think) was the best for its time. They had the cards with the player ratings and throwback teams. Wasn't even licensed I don't think.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:54 PM   #71
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by treq21
Yes, I played this, and I still have it. It came on a 5 1/4 inch floppy disk. It was amazingly fun for the times.

I would love to load it up but I do not have a drive for the disk anymore
There is a NSFW joke in there somewhere.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2014, 11:39 AM   #72
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

I never played that game - I didn't much into sports games until Tecmo Bowl and Baseball Stars, then later on PC with the Baseball Pro and Football Pro series. I don't know how old the MicroLeague games were - but they were some of the first PC games I played.

I played 10-yard Fight and was like...why can't I throw it 40 yards downfield. Then I got Tecmo Bowl and that's when sports games opened up to me.

Football Pro changed my expectations for football games forever, though. 20 years later, haven't found a game that can do what it did. Thought Madden was heading there with the play editor - but then they took it out. Blah.

"Just think what football games will look like in 25 more years."

I'm more wonder how they'll "think" and "behave" in 25 years. Game graphics have come a ridiculously long ways in even the last 5-10 years.

Game *AI* however...it seems stuck in the mud across all genres in the last decade or so. It's better than the NES era...but that's not say a lot considering I'd be comparing an 8-bit cartridge to a Quad-Core 16 GB+ RAM machine with 3-5+ GHz of speed.

Last edited by KBLover; 08-02-2014 at 11:42 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »