Home

Madden: What to Look for Out of the NFL Offseason

This is a discussion on Madden: What to Look for Out of the NFL Offseason within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-17-2014, 02:09 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Madden: What to Look for Out of the NFL Offseason

The NFL offseason is officially underway and this one in particular seems like it might just have a few tricks up its sleeve for NFL fans.

Especially when it comes to Madden.

We’ll get the normal NFL draft, mini camps and training camps, with the usual roster shuffling and rookie additions for us all to drool over.

There happens to be some other NFL-related issues that could have a direct impact on Madden’s product and what consumers see come August, though — assuming that is when the new version releases.

Here’s what Madden fans should be looking out for as the NFL offseason takes place.

Read More - Madden: What to Look for Out of the NFL Offseason
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-17-2014, 02:45 PM   #2
Rookie

SVCbearcat10's Arena

OVR: 0
Madden needs to be torn apart and rebuilt for next gen. However, I doubt they will do much more than in the past due to everyone will still be buying it. If you look at install sizes: NBA2k 41.8 GB, BF4 33.9 GB, AC4 21.2 GB, Killzone 38.5 GB... then there's the EA games with Madden at 13.1 GB and FIFA at 9 GB. You can't tell me they were trying their hardest or pushed last gen's hardware to the max when they, on average, had a game size less than half of everyone else this time around. All they care about, and rightfully so, is maximizing shareholder profits. Until the bottom line is hit, I wouldn't expect the game for the next few years to look much different than today or for them to pay attention to the details like NBA2K has or MLB The Show has.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:28 PM   #3
Rookie

NicVirtue's Arena

Re: Madden: What to Look for Out of the NFL Offseason

As long as it keeps selling, they have no incentive to make the game how it should be in the year 2014 with all this technology. I may sound like part of the problem, but if I was selling a sub par product, the only product around, and people kept buying it, I wouldn't change a dam thing.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:31 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 5
i would like to see them do the extra point kick the same way they do in rugby. you have to line up to kick directly on line with where you scored the td. if you score on the sideline you line up to kick with the angle from the sideline
Old 02-17-2014, 04:06 PM   #5
Pro

asu666's Arena

OVR: 34
NBA 2K14 had a huge install size and ruined the franchise (imo). FIFA 14 has the smallest install size of the bunch and is a wonderful foundation for continued improvement over the course of the new-gen consoles. NFL 2K5 on Xbox has better presentation, and arguably gameplay, than Madden 25 on PS4/X1. The MLB series looks like it may school all other sports game franchises. Some teams have it, some don't. The Madden team's leadership clearly doesn't get it. NCAA 14 on Xbox 360 is more fun and a bigger and better game than Madden 25 on any platform. Hopefully they keep some of those devs to improve Madden 15.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-17-2014, 04:26 PM   #6
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVCbearcat10
Madden needs to be torn apart and rebuilt for next gen. However, I doubt they will do much more than in the past due to everyone will still be buying it. If you look at install sizes: NBA2k 41.8 GB, BF4 33.9 GB, AC4 21.2 GB, Killzone 38.5 GB... then there's the EA games with Madden at 13.1 GB and FIFA at 9 GB.
Disc footprint has absolutely no correlation with game quality. It is solely the amount of content (specifically textures, audio, meshes, and other game assets) used in the game. Rather, it's how the developers use the content that affects the quality of the game.

I wish I could say that this was the first time I've said this on this forum.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:37 PM   #7
Banned

I swear if that catch animation in the OP is still in the next Madden! I mean how many years has that awkward looking catch animation been in this game!
I expect another gen of minor upgrades and tweaks on top of a broken engine every year, adding/ removing features, and a couple back of the box gimmick features. That's what I expect.

Last edited by Bruce LeRoy; 02-17-2014 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:10 PM   #8
Rookie

SVCbearcat10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Disc footprint has absolutely no correlation with game quality. It is solely the amount of content (specifically textures, audio, meshes, and other game assets) used in the game. Rather, it's how the developers use the content that affects the quality of the game.

I wish I could say that this was the first time I've said this on this forum.
Zero correlation between amount of content in the game and gameplay?? Really??? It's not a correlation coefficient of 1, but it's fairly high. So if Madden would take out half their content, they could make a better game? Let's see what would happen to them next year if that happened. I agree amount of content does not guarantee a good game but lack of content to work with does.

It's funny how NBA2K and The Show have much more content and are considered great games while Madden lacks the content and wouldn't you know it... hasn't made a great game in years. But I'm sure it has nothing to do with it. NBA2k and The Show where 3+ GBs bigger on last gen than Madden and they were considered the best sports games of the generation.

You better keep preaching on these forums that the amount of content doesn't matter because as far as I can see, it absolutely does.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »