Home

I don't understand...

This is a discussion on I don't understand... within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-28-2014, 01:27 AM   #25
Banned

OVR: 1
Re: I don't understand...

Here we are...I've been playing M25 on ONE for a bit now...and I must say, "I CAN UNDERSTAND" why someone wouldn't think this was better than CG (PS3/XBOX360). I'm not afraid to admit that I was in aw of the graphics and my new toy but its pretty sad that I love playing NCAA 14 on my 27" computer monitor still.

Honestly, true step is a great concept but it seems like it doesn't fit in the game. I'm constantly seeing holes open up only for them to close instantly. I can't make a quick cut without the pidderpadder of 'true step,' frankly it feels cheap. AI is improved (both user and CPU) so thats a plus, but usering on Defense is pointless. I cannot make a play or tackle.

At this point the ignite engine feels like M12's animation based system. I'm seeing the same tackle animations OVER and OVER and OVER again. Really?!?

Passing has become very clunky for me and the !!UserprofileNoteFound!! error sucks.

Do I think the graphics and menu speeds are better? Hell Yes. Its much easier to negotiate the CFM now. Do I think gamelplay is as FUN as M25 on 360? Nope. Not now. Not yet. On 360 it just seems to fit nicely. I don't know how else to articulate it. Yes, the defensive pursuit speed is bonkers but I can live with that (similar to Tecmo Bowl - if you remember zig zagging to gain yards ) .

I'm not trading in M25 for ONE because its nice to keep and compare. That said, I will be going back and buying a new copy of M25 for 360 ( I gave a copy to a good buddy and he loves it) cause its fun and I still enjoy the simplicity of the 360. I can't believe I just said that. Lol.

Happy gaming everyone.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2014, 10:33 AM   #26
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

When I first started playing M25 on my PS4, I almost fell for it. They almost got me.

I joined up a couple great OCFMs here, I had an offline chise with the Broncos going with my custom challenge based AM sliders, I loved streaming and sharing pics. Things were great, at the start.

The more I played, the more I just couldn't help but notice....

The more I watched the NFL every weekend at the end of the season/playoffs, the more I realized how much the game still doesn't emulate from what you actually see on Sundays. I watched the way the Seahawks play defense and I realized that you just won't see that in the game.

I am happy I traded it in when I did. Some aspects of the game have to be applauded by even the most stingy EA basher, but there are still soooooooo many foundation issues (broken penalties, anyone? Sliders that still don't do anything, you can still call dive and just spam outside sideline to sideline running, etc etc etc) that seriously have no place still being in the game. Someone earlier in this thread basically already said it best. This whole "start with a crappy engine and just apply band-aid after band-aid year after year" has created a Frankenstein of coding that just doesn't work at all in some areas. I honestly think they have no idea how to fix penalties and sliders, I think unless they completely scrap some things and start from scratch those things will probably never work as intended.

The main issue, to me, is that the game will always cater more to the Tourny Player than the Sim Player.

M25 on next-gen did take a few steps in the right direction, but ultimately (in my humble opinion) fell on its *** due to legacy issues that should never have made the leap to NG.

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:25 PM   #27
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

I told you guys it was the honey moon phase!!! That's why I avoided it this cycle

Sent from my iPhone 5

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 03-30-2014, 12:39 AM   #28
Pro

Trick13's Arena

OVR: 0

[quote=illiterateoption;2046074595]Here we are...I've been playing M25 on ONE for a bit now...and I must say, "I CAN UNDERSTAND" why someone wouldn't think this was better than CG (PS3/XBOX360). I'm not afraid to admit that I was in aw of the graphics and my new toy but its pretty sad that I love playing NCAA 14 on my 27" computer monitor still. ...
quote]

Fairly impressed with you at the moment for coming back into your own thread and admitting your 180 degree turn around.

If EA wanted to impress me, they should have killed every single tiny bit of code from the 360 era, dug out the PS2 code and started from there on PS4.

The 360 era will long be remembered for death of football video games...

PS2 version of Madden 12 had consecutive hits, gang tackles, better running animations, user input for celebrations, and despite the cartoony graphics was a better overall experience than 360 ever accomplished. The power of the new systems is being wasted by EA and it is very frustrating.

Side note; the likelihood of custom draft classes will probably die much the same way "fighter share" was killed in EA's UFC game - with some lame excuse about "intellectual property". It really drives home the lack of creativity and laziness of EA - video games are "software" and as such are subject to EULAs and therefore a simple line within a EULA for any EA game would protect them from any possible litigation for "recreations" of Rocky Balboa, Bruce Lee, or Clifford Franklin (hey did this no hands having idiot character not make an appearance in M25 CFMs?)!!!

Anything less than the ability to edit classes "around" the storyline players - meaning the "user" can download EA's classes and then edit every aspect of every player outside of the "locked" "storyline" players is a travesty...
Old 03-30-2014, 10:03 AM   #29
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
"Fairly impressed with you at the moment for coming back into your own thread and admitting your 180 degree turn around."

Thanks. I believe in being straight up...

I'm equally impressed with how much more I enjoy M25 on my 360 over M25 on my XB1. M25 on 360 is just a fun experience and everything fits well...the ignite...err...i mean the 360's infinity engine provides much more variety than the ignite engine on XB1 at this point. Route mirroring is more evident on the XB1 as is TRUE STEP's ability to suck the life force out of your running game. I personally believe TRUE STEP was introduced as a lazy way to reduce the effectiveness of the running game from the XB360.

XB1 feels clunky, from frame rates to passing and certainly the repetitive tackling animations. Its clear that M25 was designed for the 360 and then ported to XB1.

"The 360 era will long be remembered for death of football video games..."

I had M11 on PS2. Solid game. I imagine M12 was the same. No patches, no roster updates, just a solid game of football that you can customize and dive into. Glory days of the PS2.

For many of us, the byproduct of EA's slogging through this pas gen is we actually spent more time trying to find a game to meet our needs. There are so many videos on YouTube in this regard, "Hey, check out Madden 08 - its actually a good game that we forgot about..." or "M12 is the best Madden" or "APF2k8, ESPN NFL2K5..." do other genres, non sports games included, have to do this? Do they have to actually go back to games that should be long forgotten to get the gaming experience they just (once again) paid EA $65 for???

Although I had an idea M25 on XB1 was going to be a port, which I was fine with and wish they had done the same from XBOX to XB360, I didn't expect the gameplay to be worse. I shouldn't have to go back to my 360 to play Madden when I bought it for the XB1. M25 for 360 is the best Madden (IMO) to date but again I shouldn't have to reach for it when I have it for XB1, makes no sense.

EA needs to show something with M15 on XB1. If they don't, and I still find more fun in M25 for XB360...then i'm out of this gen. I'm not going to do what I did during the 360 era which is constantly test and look at other games like PS2 classics, 2K's games, and older Maddens because the new Madden I just bought doesn't hold it together.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:31 PM   #30
MVP

gr18's Arena

OVR: 11

One thing to take in consideration when discussing Madden games is that you can take 10 different people and every one of them will have varied opinions on which Madden game they enjoy the most.You can't take another persons viewpoint and come to any conclusion.Play the version you find most tolerable on whichever system you want.

You'll find people that love,hate and are indifferent to all versions.I personally prefer '12 to what the others have to offer as an entire package.I've read varied enough opinions on every Madden where you wouldn't think people are playing the same game though.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:28 PM   #31
Banned

OVR: 0

Madden 25 on the XB1/PS4 is Madden 13 with tweaks/additions. It still has some of the bugs that were in Madden 13. I hated Madden 13. Madden 25 on the 360 is a better playing game. Yes, the DB play is better on the XB1. However, the sweep and counter run flaws that were in Madden 13 are on the XB1/PS4. Hopefully, Madden 15 will be better.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2014, 12:28 AM   #32
MVP

BBallcoach's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HingleMcCringleberry
The big issue for me is the fact that they baited and switched... its that same pathetic, sneaky, and slimy EA Sports move that destroys whatever amount of respect you may have had left for them. while they did slightly improve the game in areas (very few areas), it's still not nearly enough. Think of it this way: If you are a race car driver, a new paint job is great, but it is meaningless if the engine is still broke.

Better graphics are nice but I would take ps2 graphics and realistic gameplay over Super HD 4k pixel graphics and whatever nonsense this game is supposed to replicate. But to each there own. Not everyone sees eye to eye.
They had split teams and not a ton of dev time, the games to me are night and day difference. While yes, it still feels like Madden if feels like classic great gameplay madden. There is actual defense and that running game is nothing short than the best ever, no hyperbole. You have to earn your yards.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »