Home

X1/PS4 Madden Graphics pale in comparison when compared to MLB The Show14, NBA2k14

This is a discussion on X1/PS4 Madden Graphics pale in comparison when compared to MLB The Show14, NBA2k14 within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-24-2014, 07:22 PM   #17
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: X1/PS4 Madden Graphics pale in comparison when compared to MLB The Show14, NBA2k1

I'm not sure what "a football game made in 2005" [sic] has to do with the graphical quality of Madden NFL on PS4 / XBOX One with respect to its modern sports video game contemporaries.

Back on-topic. Thanks.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:49 PM   #18
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

OVR: 0
Re: X1/PS4 Madden Graphics pale in comparison when compared to MLB The Show14, NBA2k1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Hi! You've summarized my thoughts on the subject incorrectly.

Higher-resolution texture assets (and thus larger texture assets) of course will help increase the visual fidelity of a game, in combination with a bunch of other things. They won't make it play any better. That was my entire point with the whole disc space argument. That's off-topic, so I'll leave this line of thought now.

On-topic, I'm of the opinion that we'll see the EA Sports games all grow graphically at the same pace, since the brand is so obviously sharing tech between its games now. This could potentially be a good thing, as any gains by one game ought to be easily transferable to the others.

Even as-is, I don't think that Madden looks bad, however. It just doesn't graphically jump off the page and wow, and the fact that the presentation is almost to-the-letter a port of the Gen7 game's presentation doesn't do the Gen8 version any favors. I think it's perfectly adequate for a first-year release on a new video game console.

I'm probably the wrong opinion to consider on this subject anyway; I care far more about how the game plays when determining the quality of a game, so long as the graphics are competent.
It's a "C" effort, I'd say. Not failing, but not awe inspiring (except in representation of the actual team looks: how on earth do you get uniform colors wrong? That should be the very basics. F for the art department in getting the uniforms right. It's a pass or fail grade.).

If you compare to the last launch title, it is miles better. A huge improvement over the last time they made the jump, which is something to be thankful for. But if you compare to other sports game launch titles, it lags behind.

I'm hoping we see a large jump in the next iteration. I expect that we'll at least get the correct colors on the uniforms in the next iteration. With Kane on the job, I know there is at least one person there who truly cares about the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I'm not sure what "a football game made in 2005" [sic] has to do with the graphical quality of Madden NFL on PS4 / XBOX One with respect to its modern sports video game contemporaries.

Back on-topic. Thanks.
He's just arguing that the perceived difficulties that arise from 22 people on the field are just that- perceived. He and others point out that bench warmers look fantastic on NBA2K to support this thesis.

*also, I see what you were saying about space now.

Last edited by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞; 03-24-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:08 PM   #19
MVP

marshallfever's Arena

OVR: 13

I'll admit, Madden 25 on the One and PS4 does look underwhelming, however graphics aren't EAs problem; For the most part they do a good job with that segment, just look at Madden 06 on 360 compared to Madden 07 on 360

Madden 06

Not the best comparsion pictures, but they were able to cut down their terrible bulky characters.

What we really need from these guys are better physics and animations. After playing 25 extensively on the Xbox One, I was pretty underwhelmed at the entire package. They need a home run here or else
Old 03-25-2014, 02:39 PM   #20
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallfever
What we really need from these guys are better physics and animations. After playing 25 extensively on the Xbox One, I was pretty underwhelmed at the entire package. They need a home run here or else
I agree, but or else what though? They keep selling games? Lol. There is no "or else" when you hold all the cards. Madden has been at the lowest of lows and has still survived with this license. They really don't have anything to be afraid of. EA/Tiburon is gonna keep doing what they've been doing, which is just enough to get by.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 03-25-2014, 03:03 PM   #21
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
It's a "C" effort, I'd say. Not failing, but not awe inspiring (except in representation of the actual team looks: how on earth do you get uniform colors wrong? That should be the very basics. F for the art department in getting the uniforms right. It's a pass or fail grade.).

If you compare to the last launch title, it is miles better. A huge improvement over the last time they made the jump, which is something to be thankful for. But if you compare to other sports game launch titles, it lags behind.

I'm hoping we see a large jump in the next iteration. I expect that we'll at least get the correct colors on the uniforms in the next iteration.
I agree with your assessment of the overall graphical quality; competent, but not spectacular. There are certainly games that look better, but in isolation it's not a bad-looking game.

On uniform colors, I would guess it's just a lighting / shading issue (vs a problem with how an artist is creating the uniforms). I can't help but assume that the NFL provides color and style guides to EA Sports every season for each team's uniforms for the creation of the base uniform textures, given how meticulous and controlling the NFL is with the public perception and portrayal of its product. I recall that the NCAA Football series had issues with uniform colors for a couple cycles on account of exaggerated lighting effects.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 03-25-2014 at 03:05 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2014, 09:22 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 6

If you look at the latest video for the MMA game, clearly EA Sports has an understanding of what next gen realistic graphics should be. For some reason, Tiburon just can't get the current engine to look much better than it is right now.
To me the most mind boggling thing, is that the NFL players who interact with these developers don't give them more grief over how stale things are. It also appears that people who lead this development don't care as much as the fans/players do.
I would be so embarrassed by the reoccurring bugs/glitches/mistakes that occur that I'd work overtime non-stop to fix them out of respect for the NFL and the people that buy the game. It honestly feels like they don't take pride in the work.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:19 AM   #23
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by allgames
If you look at the latest video for the MMA game, clearly EA Sports has an understanding of what next gen realistic graphics should be. For some reason, Tiburon just can't get the current engine to look much better than it is right now.
Does EA Sports UFC use the Ignite engine (as does Madden, NBA Live, and FIFA)? If so, it wouldn't surprise me if some gains are made to Madden next year on account of more experience with shared tech.

That said, UFC is also going to have advantages with respect to rendering individual character details over Madden on account that there are only two player characters on-screen (rather than 22). UFC also has had more time in the oven to begin with than Madden 25, which had to make the launch window for the new consoles.

A better comparison for graphical quality going forward will be FIFA, which faces similar technical challenges to Madden with respect to number of relevant player characters on-screen at once.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 03-26-2014 at 07:45 PM. Reason: corrects game title
Old 03-26-2014, 11:24 AM   #24
Old School

MachoMyers's Arena

OVR: 20

After the '06 and '07 someone at EA needed to say "this is rubbish" and scrap the engine. This isn't Fight Night though and with this series a behemoth they needed to stay the course and sadly for us the entire generation was behind the 8 ball.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »