Home

Arcade vs Sim - The 1 thing I'll never understand

This is a discussion on Arcade vs Sim - The 1 thing I'll never understand within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-20-2014, 05:20 PM   #33
Rookie

HingleMcCringleberry's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Arcade vs Sim - The 1 thing I'll never understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke6
Hopped online to play a bit and get the feel of this game again and what do i get?

Selfmade QB rollout plays throwing accurately across their shoulders every damn time they need to make a big play.

Same play on defense shutting down whatever you throw at it

Biggest one of them all that I have been noticing whenever I play... Psychic AI all over again!!!

I dunno how many times we have expressed our concerns for defender back pedaling the whole route with the WR and when they do turn their backs they immediatley know where the pass was thrown and who it was thrown to without even looking and can make plays like this aswell on the ball which is freak annoying.

I mean, its just a damn game of football and people cant even play it how its supposed to be played. I get wins from them playing like fools most of the time, but its still a pain in the arse to go thru this and what once was fixed seems so broken now after patches and whatnot.
don't even get me started on the "psychic AI"... perfectly timed passes when nobody is looking on the defense and the WR makes his cut always get picked. the best part is that it looks like everyone on the defense is out to lunch until the ball gets to the receiver. then they get this magical random burst of speed and go for the pick as if they were the ones in the huddle told to run the route...

but you know EA... their philosophy with madden has always been to counter the BS by piling more BS on top of the already existing BS instead of just removing the problems in the first place.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:31 PM   #34
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Capcom is a video game publishing behemoth responsible for dozens of IPs. Their R&D likely focuses on development of common code libraries which they can share between their development teams.

EA Sports has already made headway to this end with the development of the IGNITE engine. They likely will continue to develop and flesh out this tech and share it with all their studios. Meanwhile, they've promoted the heck out of the thing as it currently exists.
Yes we've all heard of Ignite, another EA buzz word, that was a major dud considering their next gen games played almost identical to their last gen games. I'm sure the invention of Ignite and consolidating all their tech from various sports games will actually save EA millions.

When the Ignite engine actually advances sports games compared to other games in the sports genre I will eat my words. But as of today Ignite is more hype than substance.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:09 PM   #35
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghustla
Yes we've all heard of Ignite, another EA buzz word, that was a major dud considering their next gen games played almost identical to their last gen games. I'm sure the invention of Ignite and consolidating all their tech from various sports games will actually save EA millions.

When the Ignite engine actually advances sports games compared to other games in the sports genre I will eat my words. But as of today Ignite is more hype than substance.
Is FIFA and NHL Hockey just hype? I don't know, my college age son who plays soccer loves FIFA.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2014, 05:45 PM   #36
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

I'll have to see what NG hockey is like. But we all know that the reason FIFA is so good...PES is a competitor who arguably was the superior title 3 or 4 years ago. EA stepped their game up an made FIFA the title it is today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Old 04-23-2014, 12:26 PM   #37
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Arcade vs Sim are pretty broad labels. There are many shades of grey between the two. Even amongst the OS crowd in an online league, once the honeymoon period is over, debates quickly arise as to how "Sim" they really want to play.

As was alluded to earlier, I believe the biggest problem are the sliders. Many of them don't work at all, others have bizarre side-effects. It very frustrating. In theory, sliders should allow most everyone to be happy. From the guy who wants to score 100 points to the ultra-sim player, and everyone in between. If I put QB Accuracy down to 15, I shouldn't be completing 60% of my passes. The roughing the kicker slider should not impact the the DB's coverage ability etc.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:23 PM   #38
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
Arcade vs Sim are pretty broad labels. There are many shades of grey between the two. Even amongst the OS crowd in an online league, once the honeymoon period is over, debates quickly arise as to how "Sim" they really want to play.

As was alluded to earlier, I believe the biggest problem are the sliders. Many of them don't work at all, others have bizarre side-effects. It very frustrating. In theory, sliders should allow most everyone to be happy. From the guy who wants to score 100 points to the ultra-sim player, and everyone in between. If I put QB Accuracy down to 15, I shouldn't be completing 60% of my passes. The roughing the kicker slider should not impact the the DB's coverage ability etc.
I agree with you, sliders should work. But sliders don't stop money plays and nano blitz. Also they can have an adverse impact on user vs user games.

Right now its really takes no skill to compete in madden. anyone can complete 70% of their passes using the same 3 routes over and over.
Or run for 200 yards a game using the same 2 runs.

There is better AI in a GTA civilian running from the cops than my RE in Madden playing a toss play.

I don't really know if it's sim or not. But i want realism, i don't care how others play the game, going for it on 4th, no huddle all game, onside kicks, thats fine. I just want the gameplay to handle in a realistic manner, even GTA V went for an approach towards realism. That's the future, other sports game have already adopted this approach, while Madden has not.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:10 PM   #39
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghustla
I agree with you, sliders should work. But sliders don't stop money plays and nano blitz.
Agreed 100%. Gamers will find glitches, but it is on the developer to fix that. And of course gamers will find other glitches, but eventually those glithes should become more and more obscure. Having been doing for 25 versions, EA really should have a better handle on that. How many years has 4 verts been money?
Old 04-23-2014, 02:28 PM   #40
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
How many years has 4 verts been money?
Unless the defense playing 2 Man Under or Cover 4, 4 Verticals should be a highly successful play.

If the play is routinely beating those two defenses, however - which I don't recall in my experience - then yes there are problems.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »