Home

Whats the advantage?

This is a discussion on Whats the advantage? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-30-2014, 09:19 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 1
Whats the advantage?

Whats the advantage to marketing the game in such a compartmentalized way (as EA does)? First its, "Run Free" and return of the playmaker. Next, they give us "Hit stick" or "Defense." Whats the advantage to doing this over simply giving us the best possible football game?! Nothing overpowered, just sell us FOOTBALL with some new improvements or modes. Make players stature and abilities stand out and bring some authenticity to the game!

Madden on 360 was fun (even with its issues) but XB1 became disappointing and stiff. Not sure I'll purchase Madden 15 but I have an XB1 and EA is the only game in town. So time will tell. But please EA, just give us football and and everything that comes with it (like living worlds) and make improvements once a solid foundation is set. E3 will hopefully reveal something but who knows based on the footage last year compared to the game that sits idle next to my XB1.

At this point, I'm not very excited. Not because I don't love football but because EA continues to promote compartments of their game that really don't work as advertised (like living worlds or true step or even ignite - how many times can you see the same tackle...ALOT is the answer).

What's everyone else's feelings? Excited for E3? Do you prefer EA's approach to selling this game in sections or compartments?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2014, 10:19 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Whats the advantage?

I agree with the feeling of EA biting off more they can chew year after year. Don't revamp the game and introduce an entirely new engine/mode/feel to the game... Let's take what we have and improve on it. Let's do minor tweaks to the game at hand and make the product better opposed to starting from scratch so-to-speak....

These new player models will probably make the tackling even more glitchy and this for Madden 16 they'll introduce a brand new tackling system to fix those glitches, while promoting a new gameplay engine for Madden 17 where everything will be redone and back to the drawing board!
Old 04-30-2014, 11:37 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 0

Because ea is selling to the avg joe blow.....the avg guy picks up a case and see whats new.....cod,nba,mlb,fifa,killzone,forza all do it ...hardcore guy be da##...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2014, 12:35 PM   #4
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultralow36
Because ea is selling to the avg joe blow.....the avg guy picks up a case and see whats new.....cod,nba,mlb,fifa,killzone,forza all do it ...hardcore guy be da##...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
This is exactly it.

Tiburon's advertising team isn't selling the game to Operation Sports; the average OS user is already buying the game on account of a predisposition towards video games, sports, and sports video games. Tiburon instead is catering to Joe Consumer who is trying to decide between Madden NFL, Call of Duty, Captain America on Blu-Ray, the Breaking Bad complete series box set, or a subscription to WWE Network.

To that end, advertising needs some sort of catchy tag line to attract potential buys, particularly given that unopened video game software typically can't be returned on account of "not liking it".

As to developing the game in sections, I don't have an issue with it on principle. Ten months isn't a whole lot of time to design, implement, and QA a video game, and adding more people to a project in an attempt to get more done has diminishing returns and at some point even has negative returns. Limiting scope is the best way to ensure Tiburon gets a product of reasonable quality out the door in August.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:51 AM   #5
Banned

dukebeatsuncagain's Arena

OVR: 24

Also, I think people forget that making these games IS REALLY REALLY HARD.

And on a year to year basis no less. Imagine if they came out with a new Mass Effect game every year...it would be the same things over and over but with subtle changes building up through the years.

They have to introduce these new features in as steps because, this stuff takes forever to do.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2014, 08:19 AM   #6
MVP

actually it should be logical and straightforward to code, given other sports titles EA creates. a harder game to code than nfl,nba etc would be rugby union for one reason; the advantage rule. that causes concerns in real life so a game would be horrid. they have been coding nfl for a few years, they should know what they are doing
Old 05-02-2014, 10:49 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebeatsuncagain
Also, I think people forget that making these games IS REALLY REALLY HARD.

And on a year to year basis no less. Imagine if they came out with a new Mass Effect game every year...it would be the same things over and over but with subtle changes building up through the years.

They have to introduce these new features in as steps because, this stuff takes forever to do.
I'm not really sure why everyone thinks that the features that show up in the game are developed in 9 months? Most of this stuff that they release was started 2 maybe 3 years prior. They don't just develop everything from scratch in 9 months. That is why it is especially important in sports games to build a solid foundation from the beginning and build on it. That's why 2k football and basketball, MLB the Show and FIFA and NHL are much more polished games than madden. They started from a foundation and were able to build on that with each iteration.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »