Home

Official Madden 15 E3 Video Thread

This is a discussion on Official Madden 15 E3 Video Thread within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-17-2014, 04:32 PM   #1065
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Official Madden 15 E3 Video Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBlue76
What you need to realize, Bezo, is that they are not targeting people like you. Decisions like these are coming from people who are interested in one thing. That thing is "how do we INCREASE the sales of Madden". The easy thing for an out of touch bean counter to grab at is ACCESSIBILITY. "The game is too hard and it turns off gamers". Remember, it's not just to get people to buy the game, but to leave it in the tray at all times and hopefully you will spend more money on microtransactions and things like MUT. This is a model not unique to Madden. However, what IS unique to Madden is a lack of options to customize the game to suit both the simulation gamer and the 10 year old Timmy who wants to throw for 800 yards a game with Peyton Manning. I don't have an issue with them adding a "tackle cone" or something like that as long as it does not impede progress on important gameplay elements. Also, I don't want things like a tackle cone used as band aids instead of enhancing the player movement and player interactions that should continuously be improved each iteration of the game.
I agree somewhat, but...

They claim to be aiming for a true simulation experience. I guess the interpretation is up for debate.

I also I don't believe making the game more realistic would make the game less accessible. Realistic movement & AI is separate from difficulty. NFL players give up big plays all the time, deliver crushing hits all the time, juke players all the time. ESPN & NFL Network show highlights all week. All the stuff we believe the casual gamer wants to do won't be eliminated because the game moves & thinks in a more realistic way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBlue76
They have yet to implement WR/DB interaction, but I am not terribly upset about that. What will upset me is if they have delayed it and it turns out to be crap. If you are going to do it, then don't put it in until it's right and it works great. It needs to be at least as good if not better than what was done in older games. The path and direction is good, but more needs to be done to make Madden great again.
And this is my worry. Even with this year's improvements, I feel they missed the mark. They're touting defense, but didn't tier the defensive playbook, didn't work on the tackling, worked on coverage but not WR/DB interaction, didn't include steering for CPU controlled players from what I'm seeing, didn't address the footwork for all 22 players. If this was a defensive year, when will these things be addressed?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2014, 04:35 PM   #1066
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21
Post Re: Official Madden 15 E3 Video Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
Exactly. So how does it improve the tackling for gamers that will be playing on those levels? I guess by turning it back on, but experienced gamers don't need it, and it's not the reason tackling is harder than it should be.

In the vid you posted, it sounded like he only said zone. I'm at work with the volume low.

Physicality is a big part of man coverage. Hell, it's a big part of zone coverage too. To improve coverage and not implement WR/DB interaction seems odd.
Here's the deal with improved zone and man coverage

ZONE/MAN COVERAGE IMPROVEMENTS
Zone Coverage ratings now have a bigger impact on how quickly defenders break on throws. Defenders with higher ratings in Zone Coverage will react much quicker to throws.

Defenses are now smarter when it comes to going for a swat vs. an interception or a tackle. This improved logic will be broken down by player traits.

Improvements have also been made to zone defenders responsible for the flats. Some things to look out for include smarter principles (no more out route abuse!), improved head tracking on all players, increases in press and chuck interactions between DBs and wide receivers, as well as better pursuit and tackling ability.

Man Coverage ratings have also been tweaked to impact how much separation receivers are able to get on cuts in their routes, resulting in improved behavior of the defender.

New to Madden NFL 15 is the addition of disguised defenses, where opposing secondaries will show you one coverage but give another.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:39 PM   #1067
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
I agree somewhat, but...

They claim to be aiming for a true simulation experience. I guess the interpretation is up for debate.

I also I don't believe making the game more realistic would make the game less accessible. Realistic movement & AI is separate from difficulty. NFL players give up big plays all the time, deliver crushing hits all the time, juke players all the time. ESPN & NFL Network show highlights all week. All the stuff we believe the casual gamer wants to do won't be eliminated because the game moves & thinks in a more realistic way.
You are preaching to the choir here my friend. I agree with you 100%. What I wrote above was their view on it, not ours, lol. They believe that the way to attract the casual gamer is to make it more accessible, and by accessible, easier to pick up and play. What keeps the casual gamer playing the game, is success in the game. This is their firm belief and has been for the last 10 years (if not longer) in madden. I am not convinced that all of the developers who are working on the game really share this belief, but I do believe they are steered that way for sure.

As for the other items you mentioned, we are always asking "when" for these things. Part of it is them seeming to run out of time, and part of it is that they don't seem to regard these items as major issues that need fixing/enhancing. Like I said in an earlier post - I have no doubt we will get WR/DB interaction next year, and it will be nice to have, but that will be all. I don't see many other things being done. Obviously, I'd love to be wrong here. We will find out a year from now I guess...
Old 06-18-2014, 09:30 AM   #1068
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
Here's the deal with improved zone and man coverage

ZONE/MAN COVERAGE IMPROVEMENTS
Zone Coverage ratings now have a bigger impact on how quickly defenders break on throws. Defenders with higher ratings in Zone Coverage will react much quicker to throws.

Defenses are now smarter when it comes to going for a swat vs. an interception or a tackle. This improved logic will be broken down by player traits.

Improvements have also been made to zone defenders responsible for the flats. Some things to look out for include smarter principles (no more out route abuse!), improved head tracking on all players, increases in press and chuck interactions between DBs and wide receivers, as well as better pursuit and tackling ability.

Man Coverage ratings have also been tweaked to impact how much separation receivers are able to get on cuts in their routes, resulting in improved behavior of the defender.

New to Madden NFL 15 is the addition of disguised defenses, where opposing secondaries will show you one coverage but give another.
Some cool stuff, but I'm leary for a few reasons.

Are DBs & LBs in on True Step? If not, that will affect the timing & success of reactions to throws.

Tackling abilities for most DBs needs to be turned down, not up.

It's always odd seeing so many dropped picks, so more swat attempts is a good thing. But I'm concerned about the context. Hopefully they don't have DBs swatting at balls they should be trying to catch.

I'm curious how they handled ratings for the slower, more physical CBs.

Disguised coverages sounds cool. Can we control them or is it random?

No mention of it, but I hope they added some pick animations. I hate seeing DBs turn up the field the wrong way after every pick.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:32 PM   #1069
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4

JP, is the "heat-seeking" mechanic still in use or was it scrapped?

*I understand the right stick can still perform hit-sticks.

Another Q - I have yet to see shoestring tackles - was there success or prominence toned down?

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2014, 02:52 PM   #1070
Pro

OVR: 14

The more videos I watch, the more my hype train goes down. I am sure I will still buy this game because it is the only way I can get my football fix. After watching videos I am amazed that these guys can't get offense and defensive line interaction right. No way does this game simulate the battle of the trenches. Way to much patty cake and line standing straight up. I wish this game would simulate a dominate front four of either the seahawks or niners. There is no true edge rushers to get upfield, no dominate bull rushers that get push or really split a double team. This Madden team really needs to get this interaction right and the wr/db interaction. I wish they would also add a dip and rip button for the linebackers and secondary guys getting off blocks. I miss old school controls where I could pick rip or swim right or left and also spin move on the D-line. I also miss old school formation subs. I like the defensive player cam, that will bring a fresh feel to playing defensive. Hopefully CFM will add enough to give this game enough improvement.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:37 PM   #1071
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21

Added madden 15 breakdown (great video) to OP
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2014, 06:55 PM   #1072
Banned

OVR: 7

Here is another e3 video I found for you guys from User QJB. This video shows just a tad bit more of the passing control, which is what I wanted to see. Things are promising for now....

Sorry I dont remember how to embed video and I dont feel like searching all over for it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxVd8Zz4T5U

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »