Home

Official Madden 15 E3 Video Thread

This is a discussion on Official Madden 15 E3 Video Thread within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
How SDS Can Improve the 'Full Minors' Feature for MLB The Show 21
Top 10 Shootout Players to Fear in NHL 21
Skatebird Preview - Updated Hands-On With New Rooftop Level
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 07-01-2014, 08:23 AM   #1121
Pro

OVR: 4
Re: Official Madden 15 E3 Video Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMrHanky
I got a couple things after seeing this last video.
1. Dude does NOT know how to hold a video camera steady. Lol
2. While we are seeing less INTs throughout all of the footage, the animations are troubling. The int problem in 25 was something like, the players weren't even in position to int, and they magically got INTs. They were within reach of a swat, and they never swatted, they always got an int. Now, the exact opposite true, in 15, the defense is playing better/tighter, and they're in position to int all the time, but the ball just bounces out of their hands. Lol. They just can't seem to get this right. And here, I really do hate to nitpick as I believe they are improving, but yet again, it's one of those things that kills the realism. I get the feeling they changed their defensive AI code (for the better), and now the defenders are in better positions often, and then simply gave them a much lower chance of actually intercepting. And thus, we get what looks like a case of the dropsies by the d. Now, for me, I would actually assume I can slider that out and/or perhaps the better u get when u play the game, maybe I will make less throws near a defensive player and thus, eliminate those animations. I'll have to wait and see for myself. I'm looking forward to the game and I like a lot of what I'm seeing, but this, to me, is a classic case of madden trying to fix something, and going too far with it. I don't know what their absolute code base is, but in this particular scenario, I believe it would've been solved by simply cranking up the swat animation %. Instead, they cranked down the actual catch % of a DB. So, the animation does what the animation does, and the result is good, less INTs, but because the animation is bad, it makes the game look bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To this point..... It would look so much less awkward if there was a couple of bobble interception attempt animations. As it is now, the ball just bounces off the hands in very weird manner.

The defender should at least make a second/third effort at intercepting the ball after it hits his hand.

Hopefully, whenever they overhaul the animations, this will be added.

Nice to see two other teams for a change

And btw.... am I crazy, or when they're showing the GB defensive hudle, #21 has slightly longer sleeves than what's usually in Madden? around :58
I'm probably just crazy
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2014, 09:15 AM   #1122
MVP

jmurphy31's Arena

OVR: 21

Looks like the drive summary stat banner has returned.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:05 AM   #1123
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

I guess this is the best thread to get this off my chest since it's a collection of all the M15 videos thus far. I can remember a time when I didn't pay much attention to the nuances of video game football yet that has changed dramatically over the years. Part of it is due to consoles becoming more powerful, naturally making graphics become better and more realistic and another part of it is having nuances in other football video games, lacking or missing in Madden.

Even though I'm tired of the piecemeal approach to improving Madden every year, I could stomach if they just focused on animations and animating football for M16, in regards to gameplay. No new gameplay mechanics or fixes, just a whole dev cycle for the gameplay team to replace and add animations.

I'm not just talking about the running, general movement, penalty, position and player specific animations that should be a given but every nuance and transition they can possibly animate. There are a host of reasons Madden seems so soulless and one of the key ones I have been noticing more and more each year is the lack of mundane football animations.

In videos of M15, once the ball is snapped there is an absence of things like defenders making varied contact with receivers, hand fighting, hand checking, passing players off, incidental contact like feet getting tangled, players off balance, stumbling, frustration, players sucking wind, players walking gingerly after an awkward fall or favoring a body part, confusion and determination, just to name a few.

Every play in Madden should fool us into thinking it's organic and dynamic, making each game, no matter Play Now, CFM or MUT, seem unique. As it stands right now, if you've seen one Play Now game of Madden, you've pretty much seen every game, no matter the mode, just with different surroundings and apparel.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:49 AM   #1124
Banned

OVR: 0

They've worked on line play for the past two years and they still don't have it right. Line play is still block, block, block, for a few seconds then the defensive linemen just breaks off freely towards the Qb. This tells me the game engine cannot produce realistic line play like the 2K football games, they are still just manipulating a broken engine.
Not only are they dropping easy interceptions, the players are celebrating afterwards, most players would be pissed off is they dropped easy INT's like in this game.
Sad, this game is still two-three years away from being a decent football sim, that's if we are lucky, I know one thing, I wont be buying it till I feel its up to my expectations.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:13 AM   #1125
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Smif
They've worked on line play for the past two years and they still don't have it right. Line play is still block, block, block, for a few seconds then the defensive linemen just breaks off freely towards the Qb. This tells me the game engine cannot produce realistic line play like the 2K football games, they are still just manipulating a broken engine.
Not only are they dropping easy interceptions, the players are celebrating afterwards, most players would be pissed off is they dropped easy INT's like in this game.
Sad, this game is still two-three years away from being a decent football sim, that's if we are lucky, I know one thing, I wont be buying it till I feel its up to my expectations.
Clint told me they will have animations where players get upset on dropped INTs they were still adding them at the time of this build.

Want something in Madden added or fixed? Vote for it here http://www.ranker.com/list/top-reque...WlKfF9iZbujQ.0

Madden 15 will be the turning point of the Madden franchise
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2014, 08:51 AM   #1126
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I guess this is the best thread to get this off my chest since it's a collection of all the M15 videos thus far. I can remember a time when I didn't pay much attention to the nuances of video game football yet that has changed dramatically over the years. Part of it is due to consoles becoming more powerful, naturally making graphics become better and more realistic and another part of it is having nuances in other football video games, lacking or missing in Madden.

Even though I'm tired of the piecemeal approach to improving Madden every year, I could stomach if they just focused on animations and animating football for M16, in regards to gameplay. No new gameplay mechanics or fixes, just a whole dev cycle for the gameplay team to replace and add animations.

I'm not just talking about the running, general movement, penalty, position and player specific animations that should be a given but every nuance and transition they can possibly animate. There are a host of reasons Madden seems so soulless and one of the key ones I have been noticing more and more each year is the lack of mundane football animations.

In videos of M15, once the ball is snapped there is an absence of things like defenders making varied contact with receivers, hand fighting, hand checking, passing players off, incidental contact like feet getting tangled, players off balance, stumbling, frustration, players sucking wind, players walking gingerly after an awkward fall or favoring a body part, confusion and determination, just to name a few.

Every play in Madden should fool us into thinking it's organic and dynamic, making each game, no matter Play Now, CFM or MUT, seem unique. As it stands right now, if you've seen one Play Now game of Madden, you've pretty much seen every game, no matter the mode, just with different surroundings and apparel.
I would dig this if it's possible. I just wonder how much AI has to go along with the new animations. When to hand fight. Can we control it? When & how to counter it (user & CPU). Penalties. Ect.

I wonder if blowing out one area would be more efficient. Line play for example. Animations, AI, controls. Spend a year on that, and only that. So when they say they worked line play, we finally say wow.

Either way, there needs to be focus on animations. IMO, improvments are too spread out. Graphics, coverage, line play, presentation, practice, play calling, phase 1 of this, that... From what I've seen, the only wow is in the graphics.

I see why folks are noticing improvement. A little thing here, a little thing there. But none of it is spectacular. I haven't seen anything that makes me rewind a vid in amazement. I rewind trying to notice what was done.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:04 AM   #1127
Banned

OVR: 28

The line play is most disturbing. No sense of the pocket collapsing. It's still the win/loss of the past. This prevents you from feeling the pressure because there is none. It's simply a DL getting off his block instantly and sacking you. Why don't we have a pushed pocket? It's possible to do because users can do it. Once again, something that's worked on for two plus years and the implementation is still wrong.

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2014, 11:24 AM   #1128
MVP

wordtobigbird's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csHSTScamGM

Just found a random video from FIFA. I think this highlights a couple of the little things you mentioned and shows what could be an NFL tackle haha. I love the way the players react to players around them with the hand fighting. The way they animate with each other and the ball. The player was slow to get up. Organic collision because the goalie was really just trying to punch the ball. I don't know the term for it but the way they animate the physicality between players would be great for Madden.

Another thing is the way they do injuries. Players can get hurt, get up slowly, limp for a bit and get back into things all while the game is still going on. I wish I could see in Madden a WR come down awkward on his ankle. Limp to the sideline/huddle and maybe struggle running their route. Then they either shake it off or leave the game and have to get it checked out. I don't think players can even limp in Madden. If you play them injured they just have lower stats.

Last edited by wordtobigbird; 07-02-2014 at 11:33 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »