Home

Penalty overhaul? Pass Interference Finally?

This is a discussion on Penalty overhaul? Pass Interference Finally? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
WWE 2K22 Trailer Announcement and Breakdown
EA Sports PGA TOUR to Exclusively Have All Four Majors
Next-Gen Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2: Is the Upgrade Worth It?
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 06-15-2014, 11:53 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 8
Re: Penalty overhaul? Pass Interference Finally?

I play ncaa so I'm not sure if this is the same for madden but I'm pretty sure I've never seen a holding penalty. I know sometimes it gets called but I never find myself playing as a DE and saying "that's a hold!" Same thing with false start. Don't think I've ever seen a false start animation or at least notice them.

Edit. Also I've said this is another thread. IMO one way to fix pass interference is to give the user the ability to tackle anyone at any time. A lot of the time safeties try to line up the hit as the WR is catching the ball. If tackle animations played out all the time, instead of just when the ball is in a specific player's hand, there would be more penalties called.

Last edited by johnnyg713; 06-16-2014 at 12:04 AM.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:23 PM   #18
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
I get that and it is the correct way to go about it, but working on line interactions last year and leaving out holding and other penalties that are a pivotal part of the "war of the trenches" to work on in the future is not tweaking. Tweaking and refining is fine tuning, e.g. interior pass rush was too effective while outside was not effective enough so we tuned it. Completely ignoring an important aspect is altogether different.
I understand what you are saying and agree, but I've never had an issue with holding penalties in Madden.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:54 PM   #19
All Star

Aggies7's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I understand what you are saying and agree, but I've never had an issue with holding penalties in Madden.

I agree with roadman, I saw a fair amount of holding penalties.

I am also thinking we may see more with the "disengage" feature. It would be nice to see the penalty occur.

Colorado Avalanche
Colorado Rockies
Old 06-18-2014, 12:07 AM   #20
Formerly simon48xbox

The_Balm's Arena

OVR: 6

I can live with them being worked on next year if they didn't have time this year. I makes sense to work on defense (especially DB coverages) before adding WR/DB interactions, which would need to be added before reworking most penalties.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:13 AM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 2

I agree. Penalties are long over due for an upgrade in the Madden series. I touch on this a bit in my up- coming post "What I wanted know about Madden 15." The list will be a fantasy of what I hoped to have read about Madden 15. If there is place to post this list, someone let me know, as I don't wont to create a duplicate thread. Maybe I should post it in the "Madden 15 wishlist PS4/XB1?" Thanks.

Last edited by RCMSfan77; 06-18-2014 at 12:16 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2014, 12:30 AM   #22
All Star

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Yeah holding penalties tend to be better than other penalties. It was the wrong choice of words. Its the other penalties that are the culprit.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:42 AM   #23
MVP

Danimal's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
He did say encroachment and I think false start will be called more this year because they are the most called penalties in the NFL and because they worked on the lines this year.
Actually encroachment doesn't even crack the top 10 in most called penalty in the NFL from analysis done from 2009-2013. I guess you could argue Defensive Offsides is the same thing but the study differentiated the two.

Top penalties called during this time span:
1. False Start
2. Offensive Holding
3. Defensive Pass Interference
4. Defensive Offsides
5. Unnecessary Roughness
6. Delay of Game
7. Defensive Holding

Of course the game and rule book has changed over this time period. So if we look at 2013 the top 5 penalties called were:
1. Offensive Holding
2. False Start
3. DPI
4. Unnecessary Roughness
5. Defensive Holding

In fact DPI has increased more than any other penalty year over year during this 5 year period. One could legitimately argue that of the top 5 penalties called in the modern NFL, only 2 are adequately modeled in the game. Two others are in the game but don't really work (IMO) and the other one is not in the game at all.

Considering we're in double digits in terms of releases of this product, appalling is a word that in my opinion accurately describes the series efforts at modeling one of the most important aspects of the game.

Based on past interviews, including one in 2010 where a still active team member Donny Moore said penalties are "not fun" I see no reason to believe this will ever be addressed and will in fact need to see it to believe it.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:13 AM   #24
All Star

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

He did say encroachment and I think false start will be called more this year because t̶̶̶h̶̶̶e̶̶̶y̶̶̶ ̶̶̶a̶̶̶r̶̶̶e̶̶̶ ̶̶̶t̶̶̶h̶̶̶e̶̶̶ ̶̶̶m̶̶̶o̶̶̶s̶̶̶t̶̶̶ ̶̶̶c̶̶̶a̶̶̶l̶̶̶l̶̶̶e̶̶̶d̶̶̶ ̶̶̶p̶̶̶e̶̶̶n̶̶̶a̶̶̶l̶̶̶t̶̶̶i̶̶̶e̶̶̶s̶̶̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶N̶F̶L̶they could build a user mini-game around them and those are fun and because they worked on the lines this year.

Fixed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »