Home

Penalty overhaul? Pass Interference Finally?

This is a discussion on Penalty overhaul? Pass Interference Finally? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
WWE 2K22 Trailer Announcement and Breakdown
EA Sports PGA TOUR to Exclusively Have All Four Majors
Next-Gen Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2: Is the Upgrade Worth It?
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2014, 01:35 AM   #25
*ll St*r
 
roadman's Arena
 
OVR: 34
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 25,505
Re: Penalty overhaul? Pass Interference Finally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal
Actually encroachment doesn't even crack the top 10 in most called penalty in the NFL from analysis done from 2009-2013. I guess you could argue Defensive Offsides is the same thing but the study differentiated the two.

Top penalties called during this time span:
1. False Start
2. Offensive Holding
3. Defensive Pass Interference
4. Defensive Offsides
5. Unnecessary Roughness
6. Delay of Game
7. Defensive Holding

Of course the game and rule book has changed over this time period. So if we look at 2013 the top 5 penalties called were:
1. Offensive Holding
2. False Start
3. DPI
4. Unnecessary Roughness
5. Defensive Holding

In fact DPI has increased more than any other penalty year over year during this 5 year period. One could legitimately argue that of the top 5 penalties called in the modern NFL, only 2 are adequately modeled in the game. Two others are in the game but don't really work (IMO) and the other one is not in the game at all.

Considering we're in double digits in terms of releases of this product, appalling is a word that in my opinion accurately describes the series efforts at modeling one of the most important aspects of the game.

Based on past interviews, including one in 2010 where a still active team member Donny Moore said penalties are "not fun" I see no reason to believe this will ever be addressed and will in fact need to see it to believe it.
You are preaching to the choir on DPI with me, I've been harping for years on this penalty not being called.

I would personally update your Donny Moore 2010 qoute to Rex'x 6/11/14

It's post #103.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...dickson-6.html


Clint and I are all over this. We made some progress this year with offsides and encroachment (the 2 most frequently called penalties in the NFL) in M15 and we are absolutely going after PI and a bunch of others next year. I can assure you that nobody at EA is telling us we can't do penalties.
roadman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2014, 03:05 AM   #26
Rookie
 
OVR: 4
Join Date: Jul 2006
Re: Penalty overhaul? Pass Interference Finally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Clint and I are all over this. We made some progress this year with offsides and encroachment (the 2 most frequently called penalties in the NFL) in M15 and we are absolutely going after PI and a bunch of others next year. I can assure you that nobody at EA is telling us we can't do penalties.
I am telling you you can't do penalties - at least not right.

I won't even go into DPI and the other penalties that are never called. I will talk about a penalty that is called often, but is the wrong call.

Clipping. Clipping is not a block in the back, a block in the back is a block in the back. Clipping is diving at the back of the knees or below the waist.

Also, it is offside, not offsides. A little thing, I know, but one that drives me crazy. Every reference in the rule book is offside. It is the same way in soccer and hockey. You can be offside, but you can't be offsides. Think about it. Think hard. There is one line, the line of scrimmage. You can be on your side of the line (onside) or the other (offside). Not both. Even my spell check marks it wrong.
utahman19 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:50 AM   #27
MVP
 
Danimal's Arena
 
OVR: 21
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,146
Blog Entries: 4
Re: Penalty overhaul? Pass Interference Finally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I would personally update your Donny Moore 2010 qoute to Rex'x 6/11/14

It's post #103.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...dickson-6.html


Clint and I are all over this. We made some progress this year with offsides and encroachment (the 2 most frequently called penalties in the NFL) in M15 and we are absolutely going after PI and a bunch of others next year. I can assure you that nobody at EA is telling us we can't do penalties.
1. If that is Rex, he should get verified by one of the mods here as legitimate.
2. Clint told me last year penalties were being called more.
3. Rex worked on NCAA forever right? Penalties were no better there.
4. Finally as I said, they have forced me into the show me position. Words are cheap, especially in a place where the team leaders and vision seems to change on a yearly basis.

Prove me wrong and I'll be happy, but right now we need another whole year just to find out if this is legit or more lip service.
Danimal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:54 AM   #28
*ll St*r
 
roadman's Arena
 
OVR: 34
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 25,505
Re: Penalty overhaul? Pass Interference Finally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal
1. If that is Rex, he should get verified by one of the mods here as legitimate.
2. Clint told me last year penalties were being called more.
3. Rex worked on NCAA forever right? Penalties were no better there.
4. Finally as I said, they have forced me into the show me position. Words are cheap, especially in a place where the team leaders and vision seems to change on a yearly basis.

Prove me wrong and I'll be happy, but right now we need another whole year just to find out if this is legit or more lip service.
1. It was the screen name he signed up with. He was responding to a Mods statement that EA didn't care about penalties.

No, Rex didn't come from NCAA.

He has only been with EA a few years and is the Creative Director. He's a former AA college football player and was a developer on the game Turok, I believe before EA.

He's also proclaiming Madden is or will be a simulation game. So, yes, we wait another year if the penalties come to fruition.

He stated in an interview last fall with Clint penalties were a year or two away. We'll see.

Last edited by roadman; 06-18-2014 at 09:57 AM.
roadman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:50 AM   #29
Rookie
 
NicVirtue's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Oct 2011
Re: Penalty overhaul? Pass Interference Finally?

I don't think we'll ever see Off setting penalties in Madden.....ever. Or, maybe in the year 2035.
NicVirtue is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:01 AM   #30
Banned
 
OVR: 28
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,301
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Penalty overhaul? Pass Interference Finally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicVirtue
I don't think we'll ever see Off setting penalties in Madden.....ever. Or, maybe in the year 2035.
Well, since they are taking a long time to do it, I hope it's all done right, and that would include offsets. Right now, it looks like they've got it completely roped off in the code. Basically, if a penalty is triggered, then they close off any others. I'm sure others have seen a situation where a holding penalty was called, and on the same play a facemask happened. They just don't acknowledge it. As much as it sucks to have had penalties 10 years ago and not have them now, I would rather them be right than half-assed and done wrong. Also, they ALL need to be there - including illegal contact. Give me the full simulation experience that you are claiming you are building. They should not worry about simulation or tourney gamer or any of that nonsense. Provide options for each and every penalty to turn them on/off and also provide sliders that actually WORK. Problem solved.
GiantBlue76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:06 AM   #31
MVP
 
Danimal's Arena
 
OVR: 21
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,146
Blog Entries: 4
Re: Penalty overhaul? Pass Interference Finally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
He's also proclaiming Madden is or will be a simulation game. So, yes, we wait another year if the penalties come to fruition.

He stated in an interview last fall with Clint penalties were a year or two away. We'll see.
Well I applaud your eternal optimism and taking of their word. Here is hoping Rex is still around in another year.
Danimal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2014, 11:25 AM   #32
MVP
 
wordtobigbird's Arena
 
OVR: 7
Join Date: Sep 2008
Re: Penalty overhaul? Pass Interference Finally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal
Well I applaud your eternal optimism and taking of their word. Here is hoping Rex is still around in another year.
Optimism > Pessimism. From Madden to every aspect of life btw. Just saying.
wordtobigbird is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:52 PM.

Top -