Home

Tradition Sports Hands On Impressions of Gameplay & Presentation

This is a discussion on Tradition Sports Hands On Impressions of Gameplay & Presentation within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-10-2014, 10:05 PM   #73
Rookie

AmericasTeam's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Tradition Sports Hands On Impressions of Gameplay & Presentation

Seriously, are we still going postal over the coin toss?
Old 06-10-2014, 10:37 PM   #74
Banned

Cre8's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericasTeam
[sarcasm]I just hope they aren't using the wrong coin. That would just ruin the game for me. [/sarcasm]
Old 06-10-2014, 11:22 PM   #75
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericasTeam
Yes, I am. The coin toss is absolutely an integral part of a football game - it is where the game gets started. Removing something that has been a part of football since the beginning "to get to games faster" is pathetic, and shows that EA really doesn't understand something as seemingly simple as the coin toss. The coin toss and the options the teams receive as a result shape the course of the entire game. It is very much like the opening tip in basketball - while maybe not an "active" part of the game, it determines possession after each quarter break. That can be extremely important especially in close game.

I've been upset for years about how poorly EA has represented the strategy of the coin toss and the lack of strategy for the start of the second half. It shouldn't be that hard.

Team that wins the toss: Kick/Receive/Defer/Goal to defend
Team that loses: Goal to defend or Kick/Receive if winner picks goal

Team captains meet again with the official to start the second half:

Team that lost the coin toss: Kick/Receive/Goal
Team that won: Goal to defend or Kick/Receive if other team chose goal.

It is actually possible for a team to kick or receive to start both the first and second halves if the other player isn't smart - or is smart.

For example, if the conditions were absolutely miserable with strong constant winds with strong gusts going directly down the field, say I won the coin toss and deferred, so other team chose to receive. Depending on how the first half went, I would seriously consider choosing which goal to defend instead of receiving the second half kick, to make sure the wind was in my favor in the fourth quarter.

When I play Madden I am playing a simulated NFL football game, not an interactive network broadcast. Don't take away important components of the actual game and then fill it with TV presentation.

My fear is that instead of the coin toss, EA will have it be, in the team selection screen:

Visitor, do you want to kick or receive?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2014, 12:18 AM   #76
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

If you were playing a simulated football game, Madden would have had the coin toss and strategy all working together among other missing parts.

Too each their own, but count me as one who won't lose sleep over this. Only coin toss I see is if I attend a game, that's simulation coin tossing.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:30 AM   #77
MVP

OVR: 8

FG range lines are in game in critical situations

Really seems like they are bringing the little things. Actually impressed with the dev team.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:31 AM   #78
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
If you were playing a simulated football game, Madden would have had the coin toss and strategy all working together among other missing parts.

Too each their own, but count me as one who won't lose sleep over this. Only coin toss I see is if I attend a game, that's simulation coin tossing.
I want to see how it's handled. If the coin toss is the same and just done during the team selection screen, I see no problem. But if it doesn't give you any clues as to wind or whether you can take the wind or not take the wind it will be somewhat annoying to me. Like you said, not something I'd lose sleep over, just an annoyance.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:54 AM   #79
Rookie

allhailben7's Arena

OVR: 1

I'm pretty sure the 'commercials' you are all raging so hard over are simply visuals and commentary used to fill in space during timeouts. No one has mentioned that part--he said it happens during timeouts. It's probably there while you pick plays and change formation subs in timeouts so you aren't stuck awkwardly listening to the crowd for 40 seconds.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »