Home

Was/has there been any franchise info released?

This is a discussion on Was/has there been any franchise info released? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
How SDS Can Improve the 'Full Minors' Feature for MLB The Show 21
Top 10 Shootout Players to Fear in NHL 21
Skatebird Preview - Updated Hands-On With New Rooftop Level
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)
Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 06:21 AM   #321
Pro

Step2001's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Was/has there been any franchise info released?

......but after the Draft, that's where the storyline ends. The Audio/Broadcast does not mention these players. It does not mention any of the Incoming Draft Class and their teams. These are the players who are the future of the League in your CFM.

Just a whole lot can be added here.......

Would like to see them scrap Players coming out of Retirement. Seen Packers QB, Aaron Rodgers retire. Then Tom Brady un-retires and signs with the Packers.

Last edited by Step2001; 07-08-2014 at 06:24 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-08-2014, 10:09 AM   #322
MVP

JHedges2's Arena

OVR: 12

I just don't get how they can tout realism yet make us use bogus draft classes.

I've owned every year of madden since '97 but this may be a deal breaker for me. It's already a huge punch to the gut with no NCAA this year. At least let us supplement that with the ability to create classes.

The Twitter stuff is a neat idea--but that's it. It adds NOTHING to the game. BTW, when's the last time we saw a Japanese running back anyway...?

If we can't edit draft classes because it will mess up the Twitter feed--this is a sad day.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:11 AM   #323
Underdog

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Just came across this:

https://twitter.com/ClintOldenburg/s...36650344407040

Quote:
Originally Posted by @ClintOldenburg
@SethBaker I do know guides will be useless this year. No more repeats.
Take that for what you will. Not sure if its as big a win as custom draft classes would be, but the online draft guide issue was a big problem for multiplayer online CFMs which sorely needed to be addressed.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:15 AM   #324
MVP

Caveman24's Arena

OVR: 25

How hard is it to do random players like the old Maddens? Those made the draft 10X better no draft guide,no dumb storyline player who storyline ends as soon as you draft him.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:36 AM   #325
Underdog

CM Hooe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman24
How hard is it to do random players like the old Maddens? Those made the draft 10X better no draft guide,no dumb storyline player who storyline ends as soon as you draft him.
Not super-hard in concept. How I'd do it - which may not be the best way, but is a way - for each position group, set a mean, standard deviation, min, and max for each attribute (possibly by finding this data from past Madden rookie classes created by Donny Moore) and then for each rating find the inverse normal distribution based on an intelligently-generated random input.

By "intelligently-generated random input", I mean that the entire process shouldn't be truly random. A wide receiver's SPD and ACC should remain relatively close together, a 4-3 OLB should tend faster / smaller / better coverage ratings / worse pass rushing ratings than a 3-4 OLB, and so on.

I'm not sure if this is how it was done in the past, as I obviously don't have access to Madden's source code. In the past, however, the problem was past Madden games, however they did it, did not intelligently randomly generate players. It resulted in some really weird player builds. Between that and a complete lack of control over how players progressed - the progression logic was one-size-fits-all for all players at a given position - long-term roster management was pretty difficult. Thus why they went to hand-made draft classes instead.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:45 AM   #326
MVP

Caveman24's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Not super-hard in concept. How I'd do it - which may not be the best way, but is a way - for each position group, set a mean, standard deviation, min, and max for each attribute (possibly by finding this data from past Madden rookie classes created by Donny Moore) and then for each rating find the inverse normal distribution based on an intelligently-generated random input.

By "intelligently-generated random input", I mean that the entire process shouldn't be truly random. A wide receiver's SPD and ACC should remain relatively close together, a 4-3 OLB should tend faster / smaller / better coverage ratings / worse pass rushing ratings than a 3-4 OLB, and so on.

I'm not sure if this is how it was done in the past, as I obviously don't have access to Madden's source code. In the past, however, the problem was past Madden games, however they did it, did not intelligently randomly generate players. It resulted in some really weird player builds. Between that and a complete lack of control over how players progressed - the progression logic was one-size-fits-all for all players at a given position - long-term roster management was pretty difficult. Thus why they went to hand-made draft classes instead.
The progression system what was exactly wrong with it? Was it 7th rounders being as good as the 1st rounders?
Old 07-08-2014, 10:57 AM   #327
Underdog

CM Hooe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman24
The progression system what was exactly wrong with it? Was it 7th rounders being as good as the 1st rounders?
The progression algorithm basically played dumb and applied (within each position group) a single approach to every player in the game. As in, a 3-4 OLB would develop the exact same way as a 4-3 OLB, all offensive linemen would always progress the same way, a running quarterback would progress the same way as a pocket passer... the exact same categories of ratings for each position would always going up or down a set amount of points based on total statistics (and later adding in player potential as a variable). There was no variation and no respect paid to how the given team deployed its players or what stats those players accumulated (progression has always been stat-based on some level).

For all the griping about it, with the current XP progression system, the user can ensure that his players are developed properly with respect to how he wants that player to be deployed; he can make sure his pass rusher focuses on becoming better at attacking the quarterback, he can focus his OL on developing their pass blocking skills, he can make sure his dynamic scrambling quarterback works on his passing touch, etc. etc. The user has control over his long-term gameplay experience in franchise mode, even if the XP system is a layer of abstraction which isn't necessarily realistic.

In the current game, the AI also presumably develops players with some level of intelligence given that each player has an ideal scheme fit which affects the cost of each attribute upgrade; AI player progression via XP point spending is just an easily-solvable optimization problem.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 07-08-2014 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:04 AM   #328
MVP

Caveman24's Arena

The XP system is looked down upon due to you being able to turn any "bad" players into a Madden legend. 1 season of practice Tim Tebow is easily a top 10 Madden QB. Another issue is that CPU doesn't gain XP in practice along with it only increases and not decrease your ratings. If EA can re-evaluate the way they did progression to make faster QB's progress in certain areas as you said I think the old system might be an option.

Right now with the current XP it's killing offline and online franchise. For anyone in/was in an online franchise guarantee players like Josh Johnson,Tebow etc was all starting QB's. It's due to the broken XP system and on Madden the difference between players is small to none. A re-worked progression system with random draft classes would help this game out a lot.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »