Home

Was/has there been any franchise info released?

This is a discussion on Was/has there been any franchise info released? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 12:46 PM   #49
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Was/has there been any franchise info released?

I'm interested to see what direction this group takes CFM with their intent on delivering a dedicated sim gaming experience.

CM, I think you make some good points, but I think if the devs really are intent on making the game more of a simulation experience, there are some things that need to be overhauled and redone because they are not simulation at all. Scouting and the XP system, just to name a couple.

Watch me play video games
Old 06-16-2014, 12:49 PM   #50
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Finally, it arguably already exists in the game; just go to the progression screen, press Y / Triangle, and all the XP is spent by each player automatically based on however the AI best sees fit, absolving the player of the responsibility to progress players on his own.
You still have to earn your XP with unrealistic methods.

Quote:
Adding a second progression system is wasted effort.
A positive addition to the game is not wasted effort. Continually going through a cycle of adding, removing, and re-adding the same features has been the wasted effort.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:01 PM   #51
Pro

ItsOrangeBaby's Arena

All I need is to hear that they added a create a draft class feature that you can share online and make on a app or website.

Tapatalk を使用して私の HTCONE から送信
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2014, 01:02 PM   #52
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
I'm interested to see what direction this group takes CFM with their intent on delivering a dedicated sim gaming experience.

CM, I think you make some good points, but I think if the devs really are intent on making the game more of a simulation experience, there are some things that need to be overhauled and redone because they are not simulation at all. Scouting and the XP system, just to name a couple.
Scouting isn't fun at all right now, and I hope the mechanic is ripped to shreds and started over, haha.

The biggest failing of the XP system IMO is that the progression user interface is cumbersome and terrible. The user really needs to be able to increase his players' abilities more than one point at a time and to easily see the total effects of his changes upon his players' OVR and sub-overall ratings easily before spending any XP.

Insofar as realism is concerned, I'm going to just come flat out and say it - realism doesn't always make a fun video game. I've never felt more robbed in a video game than in a previous football video game with completely automated progression than the time when I won the Super Bowl and my young Pro Bowl quarterback went down five points overall for no specific reason. Realistic? Perhaps, I suppose I can't control if my player gets into a car crash in the offseason or if he's a Derek Anderson-esque flash in the pan. From a video game perspective, though, I flat-out quit playing franchise mode in that game because I felt I was not properly rewarded for playing well, and the reason as to why I was not rewarded was not communicated whatsoever.

At the very least, the current XP progression system makes sense in that it offers a strong gameplay feedback loop; play well in the game and achieve statistical milestones, your players get better. Realistic or not, that gameplay loop works, and there are countless examples across video games of that gameplay loop being an effective one. It's strong game design, assuming proper balancing.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 06-16-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:14 PM   #53
MVP

OVR: 1

given that the NFL has granted the license to EA then they force me to play a video game, EA then chose to stop PC versions after 08. therefore console has to do everything.

my previous note about schedule, i have to find and define the days as i want. that happened in 2k. if i have a young secondary id spend more time on film and technique, vet players id make sure they were as robust as poss. how do i develop coaches etc. thats interesting

i never could master the bench press in older versions because my hands are too arthritic, so the option of me directing what i would like to try is attractive
Old 06-16-2014, 01:14 PM   #54
MVP

BlackBetty15's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Scouting isn't fun at all right now, and I hope the mechanic is ripped to shreds and started over, haha.

The biggest failing of the XP system IMO is that the progression user interface is cumbersome and terrible. The user really needs to be able to increase his players' abilities more than one point at a time.

Insofar as realism is concerned, I'm going to just come flat out and say it - realism doesn't always make a fun video game. I've never felt more robbed in a video game than in a previous football video game with completely automated progression than the time when I won the Super Bowl and my young Pro Bowl quarterback went down five points overall for no specific reason. Realistic? Perhaps, I suppose I can't control if my player gets into a car crash in the offseason or if he's a Derek Anderson-esque flash in the pan. From a video game perspective, though, I flat-out quit playing franchise mode in that game because I felt I was not properly rewarded for playing well, and the reason as to why I was not rewarded was not communicated whatsoever.

At the very least, the current XP progression system makes sense in that it offers a strong gameplay feedback loop; play well in the game and achieve statistical milestones, your players get better. Realistic or not, that gameplay loop works, and there are countless examples across video games of that gameplay loop being an effective one. It's strong game design, assuming proper balancing.
I agree man. Scouting really lacks in Madden. Whats the point of hiring or firing a scout when your the one technically doing the scouting. I wish they would put more of a focus on the "scout" per say. I can't remember what game it was (CH2k8 maybe?) they had the scout go to a certain player you chose, and they would be there a week time to fully scout that player. You couldn't do anything else with that scout for the week once you chose the player he was going to see and the method in which he was to scout him (tapes, call, visit ect..) They really need to redo the whole draft process from the start of the season to draft day. things of note:

1. The combine
2. Scouting aspect I mentioned above
3. Editing draft classes (make it before the season only)
4. Before the draft, let us make our BIG BOARD. Currently it stinks
5. Have Rookie OTA's after draft to see what you got
6. Have owner input or even owner trump scenarios if your a coach in CCM. As an owner have a coach want scenario and as an owner if you go with or against the coaches/fans want then it affects chemistry.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:21 PM   #55
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:

The biggest failing of the XP system IMO is that the progression user interface is cumbersome and terrible. The user really needs to be able to increase his players' abilities more than one point at a time and to easily see the total effects of his changes upon his players' OVR and sub-overall ratings easily before spending any XP.

I totally agree with the progression system you're referring to. I actually don't know of a sports game that has really gotten progression right. I have some ideas about how it could work, but I'm not naive enough to think they would ever get implemented because I list them in a thread on a discussion forum.

I do think Madden has something that could make progression seem more realistic in the Production attribute. I don't know how that's weighted into the calculation of the OVR rating, but if they based OVR mostly on that rating (i.e. stats/awards/etc), then adjusted that based on position specific atts and physical atts, I think that would be a good base.

Let's face it.. real life progression is just an interpretation of someone's statistical output (production) combined with their physical skills.

The main thing I hate about the XP system, is that players don't get better by performing well. Their performance is a product of them getting better through practice/conditioning/working out. It goes in the wrong direction in my mind.

Watch me play video games
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2014, 01:35 PM   #56
Banned

Quote:

For me the strong feedback loop makes the game far too static. I know who is going to progress, how much, and in what attributes. I've never been more bored with a franchise than I am with such static outcomes. It takes away for the dynamic experience which takes away from the off-season strategy. Boring is being able to make any player great. Boring is being able to force progression and having it be so static. Your strong loop is also in direct conflict with game balance. Stats creating progression only gives more stats. Realistic progression, where progression helps drive stats makes it much easier to have a proper balance.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »