Home

Was/has there been any franchise info released?

This is a discussion on Was/has there been any franchise info released? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
How SDS Can Improve the 'Full Minors' Feature for MLB The Show 21
Top 10 Shootout Players to Fear in NHL 21
Skatebird Preview - Updated Hands-On With New Rooftop Level
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2014, 03:25 PM   #65
MVP
 
mestevo's Arena
 
OVR: 33
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 18,497
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Was/has there been any franchise info released?

Quote:
Your building up a single character which is far different than emulating progression in a team oriented sport like baseball, basketball, football, hockey, soccer etc.
So I shouldn't have as granular control of player development because I can control a whole team of players in franchise mode?

Quote:
And where did this come from? I think I've been very consistent about wanting REALISM in team oriented sports games. Are you twisting my words? Are you lying about what I'm posting? Shouldn't doing things like that be against the TOS? Because I want realism in my team oriented sports games I have a decade-old grudge? I expect an apology from you for the personal attack. I haven't thrown any accusations at you for liking arcade in your sports games.
The martyrdom is strong in this one. You tossed exclusivity into your argument and got called on it, nothing more.
mestevo is offline  
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2014, 03:34 PM   #66
Banned
 
OVR: 5
Join Date: Jan 2008
Re: Was/has there been any franchise info released?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
So I shouldn't have as granular control of player development because I can control a whole team of players in franchise mode?
Never said you SHOULDN'T have the OPTION for granular control. Saying that the option for a realistic progression system makes sense in a team oriented sport.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
The martyrdom is strong in this one. You tossed exclusivity into your argument and got called on it, nothing more.
I didn't get called on anything. I stated the truth. With exclusivity, there are no other options. This developer is advertising realism. That doesn't deserve a "Grudge" accusation.
bucky60 is offline  
Old 06-16-2014, 04:06 PM   #67
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy
 
Jr.'s Arena
 
OVR: 18
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 17,775
Re: Was/has there been any franchise info released?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Further, XP loops also appear in team sports games such as MLB The Show, apparently (never played, so I couldn't tell you how it works) and NBA 2K via the Virtual Currency system which is tied to every mode in the game (2K has arguably exploited to try to extract every last penny from its player base, but that's a completely different topic of discussion). These are team sports games which, like Madden NFL, have jumped on the XP loop train because it's a game mechanic which has proven successful time and time again based on what people who play video games - not just sports gamers, but everyone - are buying, playing, and spending micro transaction money on.
I can only comment on The Show as I have not played NBA 2K, but the XP system is only a part of the Road to the Show, single player experience. That is to be expected this day in age.

However, in the franchise and season modes, there is no XP system. Progression is handled through a Potential/Statistics system. While not perfect, I prefer this method very highly over the system that Madden uses.

The only sports games and modes I can think of where an XP loop system is used are those sports games that are single-player focused or modes that are single-player focused. In those instances, I can understand utilizing that system because it is more similar to RPG-style games that are more common in the video game realm.

Again, I don't see how anyone could disagree with the idea that production is a result of progress, not the other way around. What Madden's XP system does is reward production with progress. It's a backwards system when compared to realism.
__________________
My favorite teams are better than your favorite teams

Watch me play video games
Jr. is offline  
Old 06-16-2014, 08:41 PM   #68
Rookie
 
HingleMcCringleberry's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Nov 2013
Re: Was/has there been any franchise info released?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
I can only comment on The Show as I have not played NBA 2K, but the XP system is only a part of the Road to the Show, single player experience. That is to be expected this day in age.

However, in the franchise and season modes, there is no XP system. Progression is handled through a Potential/Statistics system. While not perfect, I prefer this method very highly over the system that Madden uses.

The only sports games and modes I can think of where an XP loop system is used are those sports games that are single-player focused or modes that are single-player focused. In those instances, I can understand utilizing that system because it is more similar to RPG-style games that are more common in the video game realm.

Again, I don't see how anyone could disagree with the idea that production is a result of progress, not the other way around. What Madden's XP system does is reward production with progress. It's a backwards system when compared to realism.
I think it's ridiculous that in madden, a young QB who throws for under 3000 yards, under 10 TDs, and has 20+ Ints, can STILL gain 5 OVR points in the offseason.
HingleMcCringleberry is offline  
Old 06-16-2014, 08:46 PM   #69
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy
 
Jr.'s Arena
 
OVR: 18
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 17,775
Re: Was/has there been any franchise info released?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HingleMcCringleberry
I think it's ridiculous that in madden, a young QB who throws for under 3000 yards, under 10 TDs, and has 20+ Ints, can STILL gain 5 OVR points in the offseason.
Yeah, that's where I think the Production rating should have more weight in the formula for determining OVR. At least later in a player's career when players go from projectable to needing to produce.

A player like that could certainly improve, but I believe OVR should be a bigger reflection of a player's production (which is where the stock ratings come from anyway.. they're all an interpretation of the player's production), with some respect given to a player's physical attributes and how that relates to the position they play.

Maybe for the first 2-3 years of a player's career, have OVR be more weighted in attributes, but at some point, the player's production has to come into play when talking about how good they are.
__________________
My favorite teams are better than your favorite teams

Watch me play video games

Last edited by Jr.; 06-16-2014 at 08:48 PM.
Jr. is offline  
Old 06-17-2014, 12:36 AM   #70
Underdog
 
CM Hooe's Arena
 
OVR: 45
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Culver City, CA
Posts: 19,253
Re: Was/has there been any franchise info released?

We'll be moving on now.
__________________
Christopher Hooe
CM Hooe is offline  
Old 06-17-2014, 12:40 AM   #71
MVP
 
Cowboy008's Arena
 
OVR: 5
Join Date: Mar 2012
Re: Was/has there been any franchise info released?

Do you guys think EA will surprise us with some stuff they have added for CFM this year? I'm hoping that they have something good coming and they just didn't want to tell everyone just yet. I know I will probably be let down though.
Cowboy008 is offline  
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2014, 01:37 AM   #72
Rookie
 
OVR: 1
Join Date: Nov 2004
Re: Was/has there been any franchise info released?

If there was one thing I want in franchise mode, it's making the CPU more competitive. The AI roster management is awful and after 4 or 5 years into it, your team is always way better off than every other team. Making free agents harder to sign would go a long way in helping with this.

If I were to dare to dream, I would want some sort of roster move veto. For every team, if I don't like a certain roster move they made I could veto it and handle it myself. It would be a nice medium between the time consuming control of all 32 teams and controlling just 1 team and watching every other team around me crumble with bad GM decisions.

Coordinators should be in the game, and they should have an impact. I don't get why this isn't a thing.

I would love to be able to dynamically rate players based on my own criteria of stats. I don't care about overall rating, but if I were looking at free agent press cornerbacks, it would be nice to display a rating based only on their press rating, strength, coverage skills, size, etc.

Draft classes are terrible. The player names are really bad too but I don't care about that as long as the physical attributes get looked at.

There is no excuse for not having compensatory draft picks, or a practice squad, or a real offseason experience (voluntary OTAs, etc.), or player suspensions, or meaningful practices during the week. Franchise mode is pretty much empty outside of games played.
vrtkolman is offline  
Closed Thread


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:49 PM.

Top -