Home

The Tackling in Madden 15 is ATROCIOUS!

This is a discussion on The Tackling in Madden 15 is ATROCIOUS! within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
F1 2021 Review - One for the Ages
EA Sports PGA TOUR to Include Brand New Swing Mechanics, Three Click Swing Returns
FIFA 22 Gameplay: Breaking Down the Latest Details
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 06-24-2014, 05:32 PM   #153
Rookie

NicVirtue's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: The Tackling in Madden 15 is ATROCIOUS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomant94

To be fair, there was no 2+ man tackling in Madden 08. It was either 2, or 1. Everyone else was a tumble weed, and it's clear in that video. 1 would make contact and get thrown off, then right after that 2 other guys would come in and clean up. Only 3 people could be part of a tackle animation in that game. 2 Defenders, and the ball carrier. Madden 10 had a good idea with Pro Tak, but HORRIBLE execution.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:26 PM   #154
MVP

OVR: 8

So what is so wrong with madden 25s tackling? I personally enjoy the tackling in ncaa 14
Old 06-24-2014, 08:36 PM   #155
Rookie

NicVirtue's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg713
So what is so wrong with madden 25s tackling? I personally enjoy the tackling in ncaa 14
There is only 1 man tackle animations, and the only thing that gives the illusion of multiman gang tackles are the poor physics that makes defenders chest bump the ball carrier and fall down. There are no behaviors that constitute tackling, like Backbreaker, just animations that play out with physics layered ontop of the player models. The easy way out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2014, 12:07 PM   #156
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg713
I have NCAA 14 for 360 and I thought the animations in NCAA 14 were smoother. The RTP seemed more under control to me, too. Also, the small handful of bad tackles that play so often in Madden didn't appear as often in NCAA, some not at all, and just watching a quick clip of NCAA 14 on YouTube I spotted a few tackles that aren't even in Madden (or at least they never play out if they are).

Still, I don't want just smoother animations, I want entirely better ones from Madden altogether, starting with getting rid of a number of them that have been in the game since Madden 06.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:12 PM   #157
Rookie

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
Nice graphics. I agree.

We'll have to agree to disagree on Madden emulating football.

IMO, it's more than animations and a few gameplay mechanics. Every set of animations needs AI. Perfect example of a point I'm trying to make in another thread is the catch animations. All these catch animations in the game that weren't being triggered because the game lacked inaccurate throws. Addressing these peripheral issues just shuffles the problems around.

Folks ask for more catch animations, they put them in. Folks ask for inaccurate throws, they're in. Next year folks might recognize the lack of context for the inaccurate throws & complain about the lack of control.

Another example... our good friend Ian had a spectacular demo of ball carrier footwork back in '09 or so. You could jab, juke... you almost didn't need juke buttons. I wish folks could've seen it. Folks would kill for that footwork THIS gen. But it didn't go in because they had issues with defenders using the footwork properly, over running plays & such. I'm guessing that's why True Step is not in for all 22 players still.

They can't re-tier the defensive playbook because the blocking is tied to the defensive assignments. Think about that. This is the type of stuff I'm talking about when I say the foundation is not there. The game is simply not based on football principles.

All that to say, yes, I disagree with that.
I remember that video, the running looked so much better and more natural compared to what was in the released game. Shame it didn't make it in, the running animations/footwork has been terrible for years.

I remember (around the same time) them saying that their lead animation guy was having trouble getting the running animation looking good. Knees too high, arm position too perfect etc, they've been having these issues for YEARS. Sounded like it was a low-priority thing to fix back then
Old 06-25-2014, 12:21 PM   #158
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by briax87
I remember that video, the running looked so much better and more natural compared to what was in the released game. Shame it didn't make it in, the running animations/footwork has been terrible for years.

I remember (around the same time) them saying that their lead animation guy was having trouble getting the running animation looking good. Knees too high, arm position too perfect etc, they've been having these issues for YEARS. Sounded like it was a low-priority thing to fix back then
I haven't seen much evidence to suggest that it's any higher of a priority now either, to be quite frank.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:41 PM   #159
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

I honestly have a hard time posting stuff about Madden without sounding critical because so many things they do or have done I don't understand. Granted I'm a layman with regard to creating video games so maybe that's to be expected.

In relation to the tackles and the Infinity Engine, I recall when it was first being touted and Tiburon eventually explained it wasn't real time physics but that the engine augmented physics onto the existing animations. The first thing many of us laymen asked was, why add something to augment the existing animations before redoing the seemingly inferior animations? I have said it repeatedly over the years and it still seems to hold true that Tiburon will try to do something better in Madden before ever actually doing it right.

Speaking as a layman, if I'm not mistaken, in old football games, 3+ man gang tackling was achieved through animations and instead of just adding those type gang tackle animations until creating a better way, Tiburon opted to attempt to innovate first. I don't get it, they do this with pretty much every facet of Madden, they seemingly ignore what's already been done before and better, in an attempt to innovate.

I understand this thread is specifically about tackling but the point is things like this seem to fit into a broader theme on the way things are done with Madden, for whatever reason.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:47 PM   #160
Pro

OVR: 7

I just hope we get the choice of playing on all pro or all madden online.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »