Home

EA Still Owns the NFL License Exclusively

This is a discussion on EA Still Owns the NFL License Exclusively within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
WWE 2K22 Trailer Announcement and Breakdown
EA Sports PGA TOUR to Exclusively Have All Four Majors
Next-Gen Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2: Is the Upgrade Worth It?
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2014, 11:00 PM   #193
Underdog
 
CM Hooe's Arena
 
OVR: 45
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Culver City, CA
Posts: 19,253
Re: EA Still Owns the NFL License Exclusively

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukktown
If he doesn't write code, what's he good for? (Rhetorical question)
I believe the biggest problem with Madden is that they use too many gameplay designers. The game of football already exists. COPY IT! There is nothing to "design".
They have game designers because they are making a video game.

There's plenty to design with respect to control scheme, user interface, gameplay mechanics at the per-player level, gameplay balancing of all the ratings and how they affect each interaction, game modes, artificial intelligence for players in various assignments / AI play calling / AI roster management, flow through the game from screen to screen, and so on. The rules of football alone don't provide enough guidance to make a complete product.
__________________
Christopher Hooe
CM Hooe is offline  
Old 06-14-2014, 11:11 PM   #194
Banned
 
OVR: 10
Join Date: Apr 2012
Blog Entries: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjspeaks
I concur with many others:

2K should just reuse the APF engine; upgrade the graphics; incorporate the 2K (FlyinFinn) editor, add something similar to the Backbreaker logo editor, add a stadium or 2, add a franchise mode... done for 1st year. That can't take too long or too much money. They seem to be so afraid of offending the NFL. How has the NFL treated 2KSports for 7 years?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=S3gpbbZzKUQ
What I don't understand is why they won't talk about it at all. I just contacted Scott Patterson of VC and got the cold shoulder. It only sucks because they made a great game. But they suck in customer service. And responding to the consumers. You don't need licensing, our the ok from the NFL. it's tough being a hammer, and having to deal with not having something worth paying. Then buying Madden just because you want something to play. Hoping it will last in keeping my attention.
BizDevConglomerate is offline  
Old 06-14-2014, 11:15 PM   #195
MVP
 
Kaiser Wilhelm's Arena
 
OVR: 8
Join Date: Sep 2010
Blog Entries: 1
Re: EA Still Owns the NFL License Exclusively

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukktown
If he doesn't write code, what's he good for? (Rhetorical question)
I believe the biggest problem with Madden is that they use too many gameplay designers. The game of football already exists. COPY IT! There is nothing to "design".
If his position is anything like that which David Sears held, his job isn't to code, but to go back and forth between the dev team and "management." I don't know the details of his job but it isn't unprecedented that a talented developer being put into a position where he never actually codes.

As for there being nothing to "design" you are sadly mistaken. How do you think you "copy" football? Just take a copier to a football game and somehow absorb it into code? You have to design the code, you have to design the physics engine, you have to design the franchise mode, the rules, and AI logic, ect, ect. There is no way to "copy" football. Video gaming is an illusion! It's an illusion to replicate reality! You have to go through careful design to create an illusion. If you think NFL2k, NBA 2k, MLB THE SHOW, NHL 14, FIFA 14, etc are anything more than the illusion of reality, you're wrong. They just do it better.

If you want to question the designers, then you need to question their decisions and execution, but not the quantity. The fact of the matter is we only ever receive the finished product and to my knowledge only one member of this community has first hand experience of how the actual process works.
__________________
Thanks to LBzrules: So these threads won't be forever lost.
Tiered Play Calling
Outs and Curls (Bracketing Receivers)
If anybody is interested in a "spiritual successor to the socom franchise, check out this thread.
Kaiser Wilhelm is offline  
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2014, 11:22 PM   #196
Pro
 
videlsports's Arena
 
OVR: 25
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pennslyvania
Blog Entries: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
Not sure why everyone is up in arms about Rex answering a question posed entirely hypothetically with an entirely hypothetical challenge to an entirely hypothetical opponent. If he had said no comment, got a feeling same people would be up in arms about that too...
Rex said he welcomes competion but knowing 2k can't make a game yet, once this madness of exclusivty ends we will see.. I mean 2K sports has one title and they still hang around. Rex just put a bullseye on EA by issuing a fake challange
videlsports is offline  
Old 06-14-2014, 11:22 PM   #197
MVP
 
bukktown's Arena
 
OVR: 19
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Re: EA Still Owns the NFL License Exclusively

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
They have game designers because they are making a video game.

There's plenty to design with respect to control scheme, user interface, gameplay mechanics at the per-player level, gameplay balancing of all the ratings and how they affect each interaction, game modes, artificial intelligence for players in various assignments / AI play calling / AI roster management, flow through the game from screen to screen, and so on. The rules of football alone don't provide enough guidance to make a complete product.
I don't know what other words to use to describe it but over-designed.
Maybe they don't have too many designers, just bad ones?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Review
Tried your all time roster today. Most of the stuff looks good. Just one problem. Some of the players are headless and have white arms. Is there any way to fix this?
bukktown is offline  
Old 06-14-2014, 11:32 PM   #198
Pro
 
videlsports's Arena
 
OVR: 25
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pennslyvania
Blog Entries: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rams_3
Boo this man
100 percent agree with Ram 3
videlsports is offline  
Old 06-14-2014, 11:40 PM   #199
MVP
 
bukktown's Arena
 
OVR: 19
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Re: EA Still Owns the NFL License Exclusively

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Wilhelm
If his position is anything like that which David Sears held, his job isn't to code, but to go back and forth between the dev team and "management." I don't know the details of his job but it isn't unprecedented that a talented developer being put into a position where he never actually codes.

As for there being nothing to "design" you are sadly mistaken. How do you think you "copy" football? Just take a copier to a football game and somehow absorb it into code? You have to design the code, you have to design the physics engine, you have to design the franchise mode, the rules, and AI logic, ect, ect. There is no way to "copy" football. Video gaming is an illusion! It's an illusion to replicate reality! You have to go through careful design to create an illusion. If you think NFL2k, NBA 2k, MLB THE SHOW, NHL 14, FIFA 14, etc are anything more than the illusion of reality, you're wrong. They just do it better.

If you want to question the designers, then you need to question their decisions and execution, but not the quantity. The fact of the matter is we only ever receive the finished product and to my knowledge only one member of this community has first hand experience of how the actual process works.
Football has so many aspects that are already "game designed". One example is a QB's read progression. High to low, in to out, for example. The QB coach or offensive coordinator has already developed the "flow chart" and "conditionals" that control the QB reads and route progressions. There is no need for a designer to change that other than bandwidth and transistor limitations.

And there is no excuse to "design" how human beings run the way that madden does!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Review
Tried your all time roster today. Most of the stuff looks good. Just one problem. Some of the players are headless and have white arms. Is there any way to fix this?
bukktown is offline  
Old 06-15-2014, 12:03 AM   #200
Rookie
 
HingleMcCringleberry's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Nov 2013
Re: EA Still Owns the NFL License Exclusively

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukktown
I don't know what other words to use to describe it but over-designed.
Maybe they don't have too many designers, just bad ones?
I would say lazy development is a better description than simply bad development. It seems that they were literally trying to find every single way to make as much money as possible by doing as little as possible. Hence why every feature consistently gets removed and recycled 5 or so years down the road. This is also why they make every excuse as to why the game doesn't change and problems aren't addressed (3 year cycle?), and then finally, the classic EA bait and switch move.

Maybe changes are coming, however, to me it sounds like another classic hype train, soon to be followed by a honeymoon period, then everyone back to a new thread like this 3-4 years from now discussing exclusivity all over again. All I know is i'm done with madden. No 3 year plan, no 5 year plan, done... Sure beats having this discussion during the offseason every year.

Last edited by HingleMcCringleberry; 06-15-2014 at 12:16 AM.
HingleMcCringleberry is offline  
Closed Thread


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:27 AM.

Top -