Home

EA Still Owns the NFL License Exclusively

This is a discussion on EA Still Owns the NFL License Exclusively within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 11:53 AM   #409
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: EA Still Owns the NFL License Exclusively

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Until there is an xb1 or NBA elite moment you guys will never see the end of this.
How is there to be an NBA Elite moment with no competition? Madden has been Live/Elite for years now but since there's no competition there's no one to make them go lay in there dug hole of mediocrity.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:19 PM   #410
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Yeah man but yall keep buying it though
Because it's a fun game. Could be much better with competition but I still enjoy it a lot, especially on the PS4

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 07-06-2014, 02:21 PM   #411
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Because it's a fun game. Could be much better with competition but I still enjoy it a lot, especially on the PS4
Not directed at ODogg but this general sentiment kind of irks me because it's almost like this gets used as a fact instead a matter of opinion. Like if someone states their issues with Madden, then in rebuttal someone else states "it's a fun game though", as if to assert those issues don't keep it from being fun. I think the vast majority of people that have issues with Madden, mainly care about those issues because they diminish or prevent their enjoyment, ie how "fun" the game is, lol. I wish the game was fun for me to play, longer than a week or two, unfortunately that's about how long it takes for the legacy issues, along with whatever new ones, to come glaring through.

To bring my pity party on topic, the saddest part is exclusivity guarantees that no matter what I choose to do, not buy, buy used, lobby for change, etc, there's no fiscal reason for EA Tiburon to do anything different.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2014, 02:40 PM   #412
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
Just because people own/play it doesn't necessarily mean they bought it new. I've bought nearly all EA Sports game used, save for 10 / 11 when I mistakenly believed they were trying to fix/change the game. Last I looked Madden sales have remained fairly flat over the years, when they should have been rising (like NBA2K sales). Haven't seen sales figures in a two or three years now. Has that changed?

Get what you're saying though. Money talks.
Sales have been flat. Madden 13 was hyped by pointing to 1.6 million in first week sales, but that was actually down from 1.9 for Madden 11.

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Madden_NFL

Madden 25 sales were down to 1 million in the first week. 600,000 less than 13.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain...ts-first-week/

You can point to declining ps2 sales, the transition to new systems last year, etc. It may have contributed but sales are clearly down. I've also pointed out nba 2k actually outsold madden on the new systems. Having a basketball game outsell a football game on any console is telling in my opinion.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:25 PM   #413
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiX
How is there to be an NBA Elite moment with no competition? Madden has been Live/Elite for years now but since there's no competition there's no one to make them go lay in there dug hole of mediocrity.
This simply isn't true, Madden has never seen the universal panning from critics that the most recent version of NBA Live did. NBA Elite released a quite obviously broken demo (where players on the court would become non-responsive) to which the response was so profoundly bad that the entire game was cancelled weeks before it shipped. Madden has never had any moment of the sort of such poor quality.

In fact, most game critics think that Madden is actually a good game. Not the best sports game on the market, but good and competent. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a game that is merely good.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:32 PM   #414
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
This simply isn't true, Madden has never seen the universal panning from critics that the most recent version of NBA Live did. NBA Elite released a quite obviously broken demo (where players on the court would become non-responsive) to which the response was so profoundly bad that the entire game was cancelled weeks before it shipped. Madden has never had any moment of the sort of such poor quality.

In fact, most game critics think that Madden is actually a good game. Not the best sports game on the market, but good and competent. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a game that is merely good.
Couldn't almost the exact same thing be said in reference to Madden 2006 for PS3/360 in reference to the admitted poor quality of that game? The main difference was, to the original poster's point, Madden had no direct competition so was able to still release Madden 2006 in it's abysmal state, unlike NBA Elite, which had NBA2k to compete with.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:42 PM   #415
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Couldn't almost the exact same thing be said in reference to Madden 2006 for PS3/360 in reference to the admitted poor quality of that game? The main difference was, to the original poster's point, Madden had no direct competition so was able to still release Madden 2006 in it's abysmal state, unlike NBA Elite, which had NBA2k to compete with.
Based on my limited experience with Madden 2006 which I did not buy on the XBOX 360 - it was a subpar game on account of poor commentary and presentation, 30 frame-per-second refresh rate, lack of depth in game mechanics, blocky-looking players, average gameplay, and lack of depth in gameplay modes, but it was not fundamentally broken and non-functional.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2014, 03:43 PM   #416
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe

Reviewers have been calling Madden a good game for years but, that doesn't make it so. Madden 09 was one of the worst football games ever with Ian Cummings coming out and saying nearly every QB in the game threw at speeds faster than Brett Favre but I'll bet you a shiny nickel it still got a bunch of reviews talking about how good it was. And there's alot of people out there who will tell you that what Madden is today compared to what it could/should be is far from "merely good".

Last edited by SamuraiX; 07-06-2014 at 03:46 PM.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »