Home

EA Still Owns the NFL License Exclusively

This is a discussion on EA Still Owns the NFL License Exclusively within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game
We Wish MLB Network Presentation Would Return in MLB The Show 24
Sports Game Pet Peeve: Let Us Back Out Before a Game Starts
Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 08:17 PM   #441
Gatekeeper

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Re: EA Still Owns the NFL License Exclusively

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
I'm not sure what you mean by refresh rate, but Madden NEVER had a 30 fps rendering rate on any title released last generation (XBox360 / PS3). It's why the game looked so choppy. Last I heard was average rate was 21 fps with an occasional 24 fps burst, depending on the situation.
Seems about right to me. It's not choppy to me but inconsistent, if that makes sense.

Source on that data?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2014, 08:23 PM   #442
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Seems about right to me. It's not choppy to me but inconsistent, if that makes sense.

Source on that data?
Rather not say as I don't have their permission to share. It was someone on the Tiburon team though in 2011 time frame.

It's why it's misleading when they say the game plays at 60 FPS. It does 'play' that fast, meaning decisions in the game are made in that time frame, but updates / rendering of the graphics only occur roughly 21 FPS due to the design method they chose. That's why everyone thinks the animations look so choppy / robotic. Hoping rendering issue was fixed in the the move to next generation (XBoxOne / PS4).
Old 07-06-2014, 08:24 PM   #443
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
So there's definitely a disconnect between users and critics.
Some of that is just The Internet doing its hate train thing though.

There's also a two-point or greater difference in review score and reader score with Titanfall (multi platform), Dark Souls 2 (PC), Fez (PS4), Threes (PS4), Minecraft (PS3), FIFA 14 (PC), NBA 2K14 (multiplatform), and so on.

Generally speaking, the video game community on the internet can be very toxic; if they get peeved at any little one thing, the pitchforks come out. It's alarming to an extent.

Not attempting to be but so dismissive here, though, I'm plenty willing to admit Madden has its warts it needs to iron out.

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by refresh rate, but Madden NEVER had a 30 fps rendering rate on any title released last generation (XBox360 / PS3). It's why the game looked so choppy. Last I heard was average rate was 21 fps with an occasional 24 fps burst, depending on the situation.
I'm plenty willing to be wrong here but my impression was that Madden 06 launched at (all during core gameplay) 30 frames per second, then 07 was 60 FPS on 360 and 30 on PS3, and then 08 got them both up to 60.

To be specific I'm referring to the rendering rate, apologies on confusion.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 07-06-2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:31 PM   #444
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Rather not say as I don't have their permission to share. It was someone on the Tiburon team though in 2011 time frame.

It's why it's misleading when they say the game plays at 60 FPS. It does 'play' that fast, meaning decisions in the game are made in that time frame, but updates / rendering of the graphics only occur roughly 21 FPS due to the design method they chose. That's why everyone thinks the animations look so choppy / robotic. Hoping rendering issue was fixed in the the move to next generation (XBoxOne / PS4).
This is interesting to me, though part of me is at least a bit curious about that number about this because my gut tells me that the internet would crucify any console game which didn't render at at least 30 FPS, and we never really heard that about Madden.

I also feel like I'd be able to tell if the game wasn't rendering at at least 30 FPS and immediately notice, given that my eyes are good enough to spot the difference between 30 and 60.

Again, I'm not saying you're wrong, if you have sources you have sources and I'll take your word for it; it's just a bit puzzling to my intuition, that's all.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:09 PM   #445
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
This is interesting to me, though part of me is at least a bit curious about that number about this because my gut tells me that the internet would crucify any console game which didn't render at at least 30 FPS, and we never really heard that about Madden.

I also feel like I'd be able to tell if the game wasn't rendering at at least 30 FPS and immediately notice, given that my eyes are good enough to spot the difference between 30 and 60.

Again, I'm not saying you're wrong, if you have sources you have sources and I'll take your word for it; it's just a bit puzzling to my intuition, that's all.
Nope, you'd think, but their marketing push of 60FPS gaming bowled folks over. It's why the game looks so choppy. If EA games is what you primarily play, then you might not notice it as much, but coming from a 2K game to Madden on last generation was extremely jarring. If you ever want to test it, run a play and watch it play out, and then go into a replay and play it out in slow motion. It's remarkably smooth in slow motion, yet choppy as can be when played in real time. That's due to missing frames. Our mind tries to fill in those frames, but our mind can only do so much.

We had several discussion on the board about it back then, and EA's reps at the time wouldn't touch the topic on any level. Definitely a hot potato.

I imagine after the move to next generation is complete in two to three years, EA will be more willing to divulge issues like this more openly (as they hype / prop up something new).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2014, 09:28 PM   #446
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Some of that is just The Internet doing its hate train thing though.

There's also a two-point or greater difference in review score and reader score with Titanfall (multi platform), Dark Souls 2 (PC), Fez (PS4), Threes (PS4), Minecraft (PS3), FIFA 14 (PC), NBA 2K14 (multiplatform), and so on.

Generally speaking, the video game community on the internet can be very toxic; if they get peeved at any little one thing, the pitchforks come out. It's alarming to an extent.

Not attempting to be but so dismissive here, though, I'm plenty willing to admit Madden has its warts it needs to iron out.

I'm plenty willing to be wrong here but my impression was that Madden 06 launched at (all during core gameplay) 30 frames per second, then 07 was 60 FPS on 360 and 30 on PS3, and then 08 got them both up to 60.

To be specific I'm referring to the rendering rate, apologies on confusion.
I think the thing is alot of the reviewers from these gaming sites don't really know anything about football or at least not enough to make the in depth critiques that alot of people do for Madden. As long as it has some semblance of football they're gonna say it's good.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:35 PM   #447
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiX
I think the thing is alot of the reviewers from these gaming sites don't really know anything about football or at least not enough to make the in depth critiques that alot of people do for Madden. As long as it has some semblance of football they're gonna say it's good.
Good point. Hard-core sports gamers, and those looking for a simulation experience are going to be far harder on the game than the average reviewer. That's regardless of sport or game.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:04 PM   #448
Dynasty Guru

JaymeeAwesome's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiX

I would think that gaming sites would review the game just as that...a game. They are looking for graphics, playability, replay factor, and overall fun as a game. Sports gamers review the game as how much real to life it is. What you don't hear is the average joe gamer....I would expect them to follow the critics. Good news for EA is that most of their fan base is your average joe gamer.

Madden 15 Sliders: Realistic Game Stat Sliders for Madden 15

Madden 15 Dynasty: The NFL Reborn...
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »