Home

EA Still Owns the NFL License Exclusively

This is a discussion on EA Still Owns the NFL License Exclusively within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game
We Wish MLB Network Presentation Would Return in MLB The Show 24
Sports Game Pet Peeve: Let Us Back Out Before a Game Starts
Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 10:33 AM   #457
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: EA Still Owns the NFL License Exclusively

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
The sales on NBA live were down the entire generation because they kept starting over and not enough people bought that junk. They developed the bad reputation they have. They didn't get it from 2k...make no mistake EA screwed EA. They lost their own loyal fans in the process.

People like good games regardless of company. So Many People Loved live 10. Ot introduced stuff 2k didnt have like the authentic play calling system the pick and roll mechanic among other thinga but they decided it wasn't enough for them and put the hockey guy on the project and bam.

They didn't listen to their fans and lost all of them. Not just because of competition but years of incompetence.
This is how I see madden. If EA had released madden 06-08 on ps3 in the state they were in while facing a quality nfl 2k, they would've lost their fans as well. Had that glitch I posted happened to madden 09 in this alternate reality, I do believe Madden would've suffered the same fate as Elite.

EA earned their reputation with Madden same as Elite. Exclusivity allowed them to keep going until they got the game to its current mediocre "good, not great" status.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:42 PM   #458
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
Fun, much like beauty, is definitely in the eye of the beholder. I personally can only enjoy Madden on single player seasons/franchise, and that's for a limited time, with a strong imagination, and forgoing of the laws of physics. With the movement such as it is, I can't imagine playing online. I'd be surprised if the games online boil down to real football mechanics, and that's just not fun to me.
Yes it's subjective for sure. When I quit trying to expect Madden to be a highly realistic simulation of football and instead just a fun-to-play video game I've enjoyed the game much, much more.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 07-07-2014, 06:08 PM   #459
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Yes it's subjective for sure. When I quit trying to expect Madden to be a highly realistic simulation of football and instead just a fun-to-play video game I've enjoyed the game much, much more.
Even when I do that at times, problems with the game kill my fun and immersion. Like when I throw a pass towards the sideline and my receiver can't get his feet in bounds because 1 foot slides so far he can't get both down(true step? Lol). Or even if I do make a catch in bounds they call it out because the animation is so poor one foot just slightly hovers, so even with a challenge they rule it out. Or the fact that the challenge system is just broken so even when plays are clearly in bounds they still rule it out. Or how you can still run into a blockers back and fall like you got shot. Or poor controls because the game lacks transitional animations. Lineman who play matador.

This game can be fun, but there are still issues that keep it from being a consistently good game. The biggest problem with the game is its consistency. Even if you're not looking for this amazing sim game, even as an arcade game, Madden fails at times because things simply don't work well on the field at times. I'm not looking for perfection at all, just consistency.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain

Last edited by SageInfinite; 07-07-2014 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:58 PM   #460
Gatekeeper

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
Even when I do that at times, problems with the game kill my fun and immersion. Like when I throw a pass towards the sideline and my receiver can't get his feet in bounds because 1 foot slides so far he can't get both down(true step? Lol). Or even if I do make a catch in bounds they call it out because the animation is so poor one foot just slightly hovers, so even with a challenge they rule it out. Or the fact that the challenge system is just broken so even when plays are clearly in bounds they still rule it out. Or how you can still run into a blockers back and fall like you got shot. Or poor controls because the game lacks transitional animations. Lineman who play matador.

This game can be fun, but there are still issues that keep it from being a consistently good game. The biggest problem with the game is its consistency. Even if you're not looking for this amazing sim game, even as an arcade game, Madden fails at times because things simply don't work well on the field at times. I'm not looking for perfection at all, just consistency.
Agreed. I just play the game at this point.

To be honest, I don't really need or want the simmy of simmiest games if that makes sense. I've already lived that part of my life for real. I just want a fun game that plays a believable game of football. While EA has come close to meeting those needs, they just haven't quite been able to put out a game that holds my attention for extended periods of time. And to be honest a super technical 100% accurate simulation of the game sounds tedious to me.

I can play MLB The Show pretty much year round, I can play Madden for a few days at a time then my enthusiasm wanes.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:37 PM   #461
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Since Madden NFL is a video game first and foremost, it stands to reason that evaluating Madden NFL as a video game is a perfectly valid standard.
Yea of course that's no doubt, I'm just saying as a simulation game how closely it plays like real life football is also criteria that should be judged in a review. In fact it's one of the most key areas that should be evaluated in a review.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-08-2014, 08:30 PM   #462
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
Even when I do that at times, problems with the game kill my fun and immersion.

This game can be fun, but there are still issues that keep it from being a consistently good game. The biggest problem with the game is its consistency.
Me and my Brother were playing Madden 25 this past Friday and we had this exact conclusion discussing the game.

During the game there was a stretch where tons of things were going right. Nice tackles, a few we hadn't seen before, some good blocking, it was great. We even had to pause for a few "did that just happen" moments.

Then, it happened: A WR jumped in the air and got hit as he was coming down, and as he made impact with the ground he flopped around like a dead fish and went into a breakdance spin move like he was auditioning for So You Think You Can Dance. Our jaws dropped in horror. After that, the game went back to its normally scheduled shenanigans.

My Brother summed it best: "this game just builds you up, and then lets you down."
Old 07-28-2014, 01:13 PM   #463
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkp23
I remember rumors a few years ago that m14 (m25) would be the final year of exclusitivity. NOw another 3-4 years? This is sad for all football gamers because EA has not lived up to the hype at all.

Making empty challenges to 2k is quite sad, they need to look in the mirror and realize they are only selling because it is the only football game. EA doesnt want 2k to return, if they did, you would see madden go the way of nba live.
I understand that people are frustrated with EA and Madden, (including me). And not to defend them, but to be fair..... Personally I think the PS3 and 360 were garbage consoles to code for, and (no excuse, as a AAA dev they should've figured it out), but EA never fully unlocked what could've been. NOW with the PS4, I think Madden gaming will return to what it was in the PS2 days. (AHH those were great).
Old 07-29-2014, 09:59 PM   #464
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Quiet_Pro
I understand that people are frustrated with EA and Madden, (including me). And not to defend them, but to be fair..... Personally I think the PS3 and 360 were garbage consoles to code for, and (no excuse, as a AAA dev they should've figured it out), but EA never fully unlocked what could've been. NOW with the PS4, I think Madden gaming will return to what it was in the PS2 days. (AHH those were great).

Lol. Garbage consoles? How old r u? Try playing an old NES. No, not Super NES. Just NES. lol. How about colecovision? Ever play Halo? Gears of war 3? GTAV? I think a LOT was done with games/gaming on these 'garbage' consoles that was pretty amazing. Assassins creed 2? Madden absolutely did NOT try hard enough. Period.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »