Home

San Jose Mercury News: The Secret Behind Madden 15's Upgraded Graphics

This is a discussion on San Jose Mercury News: The Secret Behind Madden 15's Upgraded Graphics within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 22: 11 Features to Improve Stadium Creator
MXGP 2021 Review
Football Manager 22 Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2014, 08:44 PM   #1
All Star
 
jpdavis82's Arena
 
OVR: 21
Join Date: Sep 2005
San Jose Mercury News: The Secret Behind Madden 15's Upgraded Graphics

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/201...aded-graphics/

There is some new info in here about stadium specific stuff.

Last edited by jpdavis82; 06-17-2014 at 09:09 PM.
jpdavis82 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2014, 12:09 AM   #2
Rookie
 
NicVirtue's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Oct 2011
Re: San Jose Mercury News: The Secret Behind Madden 15's Upgraded Graphics

"Tackling Is Finally Fixed".

Hmm.....that alpha build better be dirt old, cause the tackling I've seen so far is far from "fixed".
NicVirtue is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:17 AM   #3
MVP
 
strawberryshortcake's Arena
 
OVR: 3
Join Date: Sep 2009
Re: San Jose Mercury News: The Secret Behind Madden 15's Upgraded Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicVirtue
"Tackling Is Finally Fixed".

Hmm.....that alpha build better be dirt old, cause the tackling I've seen so far is far from "fixed".
It sounds like this type of writeup is from a casual point of view. It appears the writer had trouble tackling in previous Madden releases, and now with the inclusion of a tackling aid, his tackle success rate went up. I think that's what he meant by "tackling is finally fixed" and nothing more.


TACKLING IS FINALLY FIXED: But the biggest update is in the tackling system. For the first time, players will now have visual indication of how far they need to be to take a ball carrier down. Itís shown as a cone and factors in a defenders ratings. Thatís always been a problem for me on that side, and Iím hoping that the new indicator leads to fewer missed tackles. If old-school players donít want that visual cue, then they turn it off in the menu.

Making that part of the game deeper, players still have to figure what tackle to make. A diving one is good against players who stiff arm a lot. Players can go for a big hit that could jar the ball loose but could also mean a whiff that could lead to a touchdown. Thereís a risk reward scenario with every play.
__________________
Fixes
NBA2k Defense AI,Footplant, Gameplay
MLB Show Pitching/throwing
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing
strawberryshortcake is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:32 AM   #4
All Star
 
ggsimmonds's Arena
 
OVR: 7
Join Date: Jan 2009
Re: San Jose Mercury News: The Secret Behind Madden 15's Upgraded Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
It sounds like this type of writeup is from a casual point of view. It appears the writer had trouble tackling in previous Madden releases, and now with the inclusion of a tackling aid, his tackle success rate went up. I think that's what he meant by "tackling is finally fixed" and nothing more.


TACKLING IS FINALLY FIXED: But the biggest update is in the tackling system. For the first time, players will now have visual indication of how far they need to be to take a ball carrier down. Itís shown as a cone and factors in a defenders ratings. Thatís always been a problem for me on that side, and Iím hoping that the new indicator leads to fewer missed tackles. If old-school players donít want that visual cue, then they turn it off in the menu.

Making that part of the game deeper, players still have to figure what tackle to make. A diving one is good against players who stiff arm a lot. Players can go for a big hit that could jar the ball loose but could also mean a whiff that could lead to a touchdown. Thereís a risk reward scenario with every play.
Not to pick on the "casual" gamer but should someone really need a visual aid to tell them lunging 5 yards for a tackle is not the best way to go about it?
ggsimmonds is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 02:07 AM   #5
Underdog
 
CM Hooe's Arena
 
OVR: 45
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Culver City, CA
Posts: 19,617
Re: San Jose Mercury News: The Secret Behind Madden 15's Upgraded Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
Not to pick on the "casual" gamer but should someone really need a visual aid to tell them lunging 5 yards for a tackle is not the best way to go about it?
I imagine Tiburon has all sorts of telemetry data to let them know where players struggle in their games. Anecdotally, "switch and dive" has described how many casual players play defense on occasion in these games, and as told by the designers at E3 it can be tough for people to properly position themselves as a defender with respect to the ballcarrier from the standard 3/4 behind-the-offense camera view.

There may be better ways to teach tackling in a video game, but adding a visual aid to help teach users timing of the new tackling command set can't hurt, IMO.
__________________
Christopher Hooe
CM Hooe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2014, 03:42 AM   #6
Rookie
 
OVR: 4
Join Date: May 2008
Re: San Jose Mercury News: The Secret Behind Madden 15's Upgraded Graphics

Cone =fixed. Rex was right, they are making a simulation.
__________________

dkp23 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:27 AM   #7
All Star
 
jpdavis82's Arena
 
OVR: 21
Join Date: Sep 2005
Re: San Jose Mercury News: The Secret Behind Madden 15's Upgraded Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I imagine Tiburon has all sorts of telemetry data to let them know where players struggle in their games. Anecdotally, "switch and dive" has described how many casual players play defense on occasion in these games, and as told by the designers at E3 it can be tough for people to properly position themselves as a defender with respect to the ballcarrier from the standard 3/4 behind-the-offense camera view.

There may be better ways to teach tackling in a video game, but adding a visual aid to help teach users timing of the new tackling command set can't hurt, IMO.
Exactly it's all based on telemetry and they are wanting to eventually be able to use Madden as a teaching aid for learning how to play football. That is something John Madden always envisioned for this game to become.

The tackling cone is all about the telemetry and teaching people about spatial distance and when to and when not to attempt a tackle, how to properly position yourself to make a tackle. No other game has tried to teach people how football really works based on real fundamentals so I don't see the problem here.
jpdavis82 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:16 AM   #8
MVP
 
CarryTheWeight's Arena
 
OVR: 30
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Orchard Park, NY
Blog Entries: 13
Re: San Jose Mercury News: The Secret Behind Madden 15's Upgraded Graphics

Only new information I received from this article is teams who have pending stadium renovations will have them on day one. Especially good for my long-suffering Bills because it took EA Tiburon around 4-5 years to add the scoreboard and LCD ribbon Ralph Wilson Stadium installed in 2007. It's great to see the less successful teams get attention.
__________________
Owner of URWL CAW WRESTLING: http://www.rantboard.net/
CarryTheWeight is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:45 PM.

Top -