Home

We desperately need animated penalties

This is a discussion on We desperately need animated penalties within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
F1 2021 Review - One for the Ages
EA Sports PGA TOUR to Include Brand New Swing Mechanics, Three Click Swing Returns
FIFA 22 Gameplay: Breaking Down the Latest Details
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 06-24-2014, 09:26 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: We desperately need animated penalties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue12
Another thing that would be neat is better crowd reactions to penalties or no-calls.

For instance, if a home team receiver drops a ball in the end zone while being closely defended, the crowd might boo because they want a pass interference penalty.

-or-

The same scenario happens but they do throw the flag and you hear the crowd cheering before the ref makes the call.
And in doing so could affect each player's morale, and in that, their on field play. Systems affecting systems affecting systems. NBA 2K14 did interactive systems like this beautifully.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:32 AM   #10
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBall Life
Exactly. Options.

You could still keep your penalty sliders low if you want quick games. I want my games as realistic as possible, so I'll keep mine set to a simulation setting that I find suitable.
I do the same with my slider settings, my point was, I just don't want to replay the penalties that are called all game long, that's all.

Time is too precious with family/work, etc....(personally)

Plus, for me, if I'm following the play, either run or pass, I'm too focused where the play is going vs picking the nuances of if the penalty was called properly or not.

Even if the penalties looked real, I doubt if I could spot them right away. Heck, I can't even do that watching a game, except for the obvious.

I love the suggestion of BS calls that get the crowd going.

Last edited by roadman; 06-24-2014 at 09:36 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:46 AM   #11
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I do the same with my slider settings, my point was, I just don't want to replay the penalties that are called all game long, that's all.

Time is too precious with family/work, etc....(personally)

Plus, for me, if I'm following the play, either run or pass, I'm too focused where the play is going vs picking the nuances of if the penalty was called properly or not.

Even if the penalties looked real, I doubt if I could spot them right away. Heck, I can't even do that watching a game, except for the obvious.

I love the suggestion of BS calls that get the crowd going.
Visually, they may seem like little details(which goes a long way for immersion). You don't HAVE to go into replay to see them every time. If you do, that's on you lol. There are plenty of opportunities for seeing penalties live on the field, like horse collar tackles, personal foul facemasks, pass interference, etc. In practice, it's more about getting functioning penalties with more accurate "triggers" for calling them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2014, 09:57 AM   #12
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBall Life
Visually, they may seem like little details(which goes a long way for immersion). You don't HAVE to go into replay to see them every time. If you do, that's on you lol. There are plenty of opportunities for seeing penalties live on the field, like horse collar tackles, personal foul facemasks, pass interference, etc. In practice, it's more about getting functioning penalties with more accurate "triggers" for calling them.
This is something that I can agree with.

I'd worry about getting them to function more realistically, first.

The penalties that "I've seen in Madden" are late hits on QB's and out of bounds, facemask, offsides, encroachment, DPI when it's called, roughing the kicker and clipping.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:18 AM   #13
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

I'd like to see this as I think it goes hand in hand with penalties being called realistically.

I'd love to see holding as a linemen is getting beat, or a defensive holding as a DB is getting beat.

With good animations & proper context, I think most folks would be understanding of penalties being called more often.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:30 AM   #14
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
I'd like to see this as I think it goes hand in hand with penalties being called realistically.

I'd love to see holding as a linemen is getting beat, or a defensive holding as a DB is getting beat.

With good animations & proper context, I think most folks would be understanding of penalties being called more often.
I feel like this is something they are probably working toward. It seems like with this team, if they can't do it the way they want, or the way they see it, they won't touch it. Problem is even when they do that, most of the time it still isn't all it should be.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 06-24-2014, 11:28 AM   #15
Banned

OVR: 28

The penalties I've seen happen are

1. Holding
2. Facemask
3. Offside
4. False start
5. Illegal forward pass
6. Illegal touching
7. Fair catch interference
8. DPI
9. OPI
10. Roughing the passer
11. Roughing the kicker
12. Clipping

I still want to see Chop Block, Ineligible man downfield, Illegal Contact, illegal hands to the face, Illegal shift, and illegal block in the back to name a few.

Enforcing penalties like ineligible man downfield will limit the super powers of screens. Illegal contact penalties will stop people from playing full on press coverage every play when better, bigger, stronger receivers are matched against weaker corners. They are preaching simulation and a learning tool. How can someone learn football without the rules? Implementing penalties has no bearing on the sim vs. casual because they can be toggled on or off and also can be affected with sliders.

Currently, the facemask and clipping penalties are not implemented too badly. You can see it happen in real time, which is surprising in a Madden game. The problem is that nearly every facemask penalty is the same. The guy gets ripped down by his face. Clipping penalties are actually wrong, because they should be illegal block in the back penalties and 10 yards instead of personal fouls. However, the cool thing is you will see it happen on a kick return and it does get called. Also, why do we not have the actual officiating crew on the field actually throwing the flags? While we are at it, the challenge system is absolutely abysmal and it needs to be addressed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2014, 12:21 PM   #16
Rookie

All contact sports games need incidental contact animations..it gives the illusion that you don't always have to go in a blocking or tackling animation all the time but still interact at all times..This opens up pass interference easily..because while running down field the cb can use a hand to control the wr(based on attributes) or his body (low attributes) and still animate for the denfending of the pass..and both can be penalized depensing on aggressive tendencies or awareness..like the high awareness cb uses a hand to feel for the wr but in the midst of the play gets called for defensive holding..or the low awareness doesn't look back for the ball is in perfect position still but makes contact with the receiver while trying to read his eyes or head tracking and swat at the right time gets called for pass interference. You can even use the grab jersey animation and tweak it from fifa into the equation. Random jostling between wr/cb can look organic without much effort and it can be bottled into player sense 3.0 as a feature for back of box..

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »