Home

We desperately need animated penalties

This is a discussion on We desperately need animated penalties within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
F1 2021 Review - One for the Ages
EA Sports PGA TOUR to Include Brand New Swing Mechanics, Three Click Swing Returns
FIFA 22 Gameplay: Breaking Down the Latest Details
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 06-24-2014, 01:06 PM   #17
Rookie

NicVirtue's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: We desperately need animated penalties

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBlue76
The penalties I've seen happen are

8. DPI
9. OPI

Sad thing is, neither 1 of them actually have an animation. If they happen...IF they do, it's just 1 of the players standing/jogging in front of the other while 1 tries to catch the ball. Zero animation.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:16 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicVirtue
Sad thing is, neither 1 of them actually have an animation. If they happen...IF they do, it's just 1 of the players standing/jogging in front of the other while 1 tries to catch the ball. Zero animation.
Agreed here Nic. I should clarify, in my previous post I mentioned the penalties that EXIST, how they are invoked all need work. Their biggest hurdle to implementing this is their physics engine. They need to really tighten up the player movement and interactions in madden. The animations are contextually off much of the time, players do beyond silly things away from the ball, and general interaction is not well done. This will need to be fixed before they are able to implement this. If they are, in fact, going to go all in on this, then this is potentially a big positive for Madden because it will force them to re-evaluate their poor animations and player interactions and fix them. This is the most crucial aspect of any sports game (IMHO) and I would rather them really spend the time on this and get it right than rush it out with a band aid. This will also open the door for them to fix assisted tackles, penalties, gang tackling, you name it.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:53 PM   #19
MVP

CT Pitbull's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBlue76
The penalties I've seen happen are

1. Holding
2. Facemask
3. Offside
4. False start
5. Illegal forward pass
6. Illegal touching
7. Fair catch interference
8. DPI
9. OPI
10. Roughing the passer
11. Roughing the kicker
12. Clipping

I still want to see Chop Block, Ineligible man downfield, Illegal Contact, illegal hands to the face, Illegal shift, and illegal block in the back to name a few.

Enforcing penalties like ineligible man downfield will limit the super powers of screens. Illegal contact penalties will stop people from playing full on press coverage every play when better, bigger, stronger receivers are matched against weaker corners. They are preaching simulation and a learning tool. How can someone learn football without the rules? Implementing penalties has no bearing on the sim vs. casual because they can be toggled on or off and also can be affected with sliders.

Currently, the facemask and clipping penalties are not implemented too badly. You can see it happen in real time, which is surprising in a Madden game. The problem is that nearly every facemask penalty is the same. The guy gets ripped down by his face. Clipping penalties are actually wrong, because they should be illegal block in the back penalties and 10 yards instead of personal fouls. However, the cool thing is you will see it happen on a kick return and it does get called. Also, why do we not have the actual officiating crew on the field actually throwing the flags? While we are at it, the challenge system is absolutely abysmal and it needs to be addressed.

great post but don't forget the dreaded defensive holding call which usually when called, is a KILLER. 5 yards and an automatic first down.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:12 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 8

I've posted this multiple times but I feel it is fit for this thread. If they made user have control of committing a penalty, it makes a lot more sense. In FIFA, if you hit B (square) too many times when trying to steal the ball, you get called for it. However if you do not abuse the mechanic, you can slow the guy with the ball down and put yourself in a position to make the play. This can be the same for coverage and defensive holding.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:34 AM   #21
MVP

OVR: 2

I didn't play Madden 25, but in NCAA 14, there were facemask animations, and a lot of the time, the ball carrier would get up and grab at his facemask pleading for a call. It was probably called about 2/3 times, occasionally the refs would let it go.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2014, 12:16 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 11

the False start animation in Madden 25 is terrible, half the time I see it, the entire o-line does the exact same false-start animation at the exact same time, like they're line-dancing or something. At least have them look over at the guy who jumped or vary their animation. We're on blu-ray discs now, plenty of room to put in loads more varieties of the same animation

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »