Home

What Ever Happened To THIS?

This is a discussion on What Ever Happened To THIS? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
Forza Horizon 5 Review
Have Card-Collecting Modes Become Too Complicated?
Hockey Ultimate Team in NHL 22 Polishes Familiar Formula
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 06-26-2014, 04:35 PM   #33
Underdog

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: What Ever Happened To THIS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
Probably because, with rare exceptions like Speed, every rating in Madden is basically worthless.
I wish people would stop saying this because it simply isn't true.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:40 PM   #34
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
It is hyperbole, I will not argue that, but it is more true than not true in my opinion.

Examples have been shown time and again. From Kickers playing OL to an example in this very thread about having all things be equal for 2 created WRs except Route Running, yet the players are identical.

People would play someone with 99 speed at any position without a second thought. There is a reason why they do this.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:50 PM   #35
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Ah but it is true and has been discussed many times, in relation to many different facets. Here are just a few;

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...r-control.html

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...hand-hand.html

I posted these two because they pretty much show why the claim of "ratings don't matter" is true. For User controlled players, many of the ratings can be overridden with "stick skill" and for all players, including CPU/AI controlled, the needed animations are not there and/or don't trigger to allow ratings to properly differentiate player actions.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2014, 05:29 PM   #36
Pro

OVR: 8

That's why the best thing for them to do is make ratings dictate the animations.
Stop letting every player activate every animation. Their should be a three tier system, where as the higher the rating the better the animations for that action.

When a player with a 50 juke rating tries to juke, he should perform a bad juke.

A three tier rating animation system would be nice.
LA DODGERS
Old 06-26-2014, 05:41 PM   #37
Underdog

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Okay, I will clarify -

First, AWR has never mattered for a user-controlled player, that is known and I will readily concede.

Beyond that - personally, I immediately notice a difference when I throw passes with Tony Romo and Tim Tebow, Tebow can't hit the broad side of barn more often than not. I immediately notice a difference running as Roy Helu or Alfred Morris, Morris is more likely to advance the ball after contact. WRs with low catch ratings drop the ball more often, and CPU controlled players with low mental ratings I often find in the wrong positions and/or less likely to be paying attention to the ball at all. My cornerbacks with high MCV ratings are better able to keep up with receivers making their route cuts, and my cornerbacks with high ZCV ratings generally are more aware of their surroundings in zone coverage (that zone coverage AI in Madden has never really been great notwithstanding).

Moreover, we've been told plenty of times by developers and designers from Tiburon - both on this forums and via EA blogs - what the functions of each of the ratings are. At one point I put together a Google Doc full of all that information because I was interested in gathering it all (that information can be found on this forum if you search hard enough). Personally, I'm inclined to believe the people who made the game with respect to discussion about how the game operates. They made the game, they know how it works, they aren't so grossly incompetent as to not know how their own program functions, and they have no reason to lead their user base astray.

The blanket statement "ratings don't matter" isn't true and I've played plenty enough Madden to _know_ that's the case. Could how those ratings affect the game be changed to be better and more obvious? Certainly, just look at the changes to how throw accuracy has been determined over the years; there's always room for evolution of the system. But these numbers aren't just in the game for window dressing, that's just silly.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:53 PM   #38
Tecmo Super Bowl = GOAT

charter04's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Okay, I will clarify -

First, AWR has never mattered for a user-controlled player, that is known and I will readily concede.

Beyond that - personally, I immediately notice a difference when I throw passes with Tony Romo and Tim Tebow, Tebow can't hit the broad side of barn more often than not. I immediately notice a difference running as Roy Helu or Alfred Morris, Morris is more likely to advance the ball after contact. WRs with low catch ratings drop the ball more often, and CPU controlled players with low mental ratings I often find in the wrong positions and/or less likely to be paying attention to the ball at all. My cornerbacks with high MCV ratings are better able to keep up with receivers making their route cuts, and my cornerbacks with high ZCV ratings generally are more aware of their surroundings in zone coverage (that zone coverage AI in Madden has never really been great notwithstanding).

Moreover, we've been told plenty of times by developers and designers from Tiburon - both on this forums and via EA blogs - what the functions of each of the ratings are. At one point I put together a Google Doc full of all that information because I was interested in gathering it all (that information can be found on this forum if you search hard enough). Personally, I'm inclined to believe the people who made the game with respect to discussion about how the game operates. They made the game, they know how it works, they aren't so grossly incompetent as to not know how their own program functions, and they have no reason to lead their user base astray.

The blanket statement "ratings don't matter" isn't true and I've played plenty enough Madden to _know_ that's the case. Could how those ratings affect the game be changed to be better and more obvious? Certainly, just look at the changes to how throw accuracy has been determined over the years; there's always room for evolution of the system. But these numbers aren't just in the game for window dressing, that's just silly.
I have done test after test and certain ratings do mater for sure. They just don't as much with default sliders. That is the problem. at 50 pass accuracy, for instance, it's hard to notice much difference in 99 accuracy and 70. You can take an accuracy rating to 0, 5,15 or some low number and see it. Same with other ratings. they do matter with the proper slider adjustment.

Hopefully the tuning they are doing to the QB accuracy is to make the game play as it does when the accuracy slider is turned way down.

Obviously certain rating like awareness or ball carrier vision doesn't matter when a user is controlling them.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:58 PM   #39
Rookie

Slim4824's Arena

OVR: 2

My buddy and I took and put our two kickers at QB on madden 25. Set the difficulty to All-Madden. We ended up each with 70 percent plus completion percentage. Accuracy ratings were around 10.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2014, 06:05 PM   #40
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim4824
My buddy and I took and put our two kickers at QB on madden 25. Set the difficulty to All-Madden. We ended up each with 70 percent plus completion percentage. Accuracy ratings were around 10.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
In the league I was in for M25 on xb1, the commish was experimenting with stamina to create more injuries. It worked, so quite a few guys had situations where they lost 2 and 3 QBs and had punters coming in to play QB. Punters were throwing for 280 yards and 3 TDs. Our accuracy sliders were on 4 (online sliders work completely differently from offline for some reason - another head scratcher). This is the kind of thing that is pretty silly.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »