Home

Madden NFL 15 Gameplay Video - Seattle Seahawks vs. San Francisco 49ers (Smitty)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 15 Gameplay Video - Seattle Seahawks vs. San Francisco 49ers (Smitty) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-01-2014, 05:57 PM   #201
Rookie

Greenblood60's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden NFL 15 Gameplay Video - Seattle Seahawks vs. San Francisco 49ers (Smitty)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicVirtue
I don't think the vision cone was done bad at all. I think the speed at which you could move it could have been a bit faster, but overall I loved that feature. It forced you to make better reads, and allowed you to look off defenders. It was always an ON/OFF option anyway, to my knowledge.
Even with the feature as it was, I'd rather Madden have it than not have it, but requiring the user to hold down the R2 button, while pressing the buttons, to cycle through receivers wasn't necessary, and nor was the actual cone; many thought the cone was an eyesore. I feel feature would've been better received had they simply required the user to press the button once to make the QB look at the receiver, and a second time to throw it.

Last edited by Greenblood60; 07-01-2014 at 06:22 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2014, 06:02 PM   #202
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Madden NFL 15 Gameplay Video - Seattle Seahawks vs. San Francisco 49ers (Smitty)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenblood60
Even with the feature as it was, I'd rather Madden have it than not have it, but requiring the user to hold down the R2 button, while pressing the buttons, to cycle through receivers wasn't necessary, and nor was the actual cone; many thought the cone was an eyesore.
You didn't have to hold down R2. You could move the cone with the right stick as well, which is the way I always used it, but...

Quote:
I feel feature would've been better received had they simply required the user to press the button once to make the QB look at the center, and a second time to throw it.
This is actually a better design decision. Tapping the button once of the corresponding receiver to move the cone, then hitting the corresponding button again to throw. Lot more intuitive and a beat quicker. I coulda gotten behind that.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:18 PM   #203
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
I feel feature would've been better received had they simply required the user to press the button once to make the QB look at the center, and a second time to throw it.
Yep, this would work just as well, would emulate having to look at where you're throwing, and could still have that same "move the safeties with your eyes" feel if there was a visual indicator that was unobtrusive still present.

I always thought the simple "receiver select" and "throw it" buttons that Tecmo Bowl had were just fine and made pressure matter. The idea you came up with is basically the same concept.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:22 PM   #204
Rookie

Greenblood60's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
You didn't have to hold down R2. You could move the cone with the right stick as well, which is the way I always used it, but...

This is actually a better design decision. Tapping the button once of the corresponding receiver to move the cone, then hitting the corresponding button again to throw. Lot more intuitive and a beat quicker. I coulda gotten behind that.
LOL, I know that you could use the right stick, but I neglected to even mention that thinking that if people hated holding down the R2 button, they really hated using the R-stick.

Last edited by Greenblood60; 07-01-2014 at 06:25 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:56 PM   #205
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Even with the feature as it was, I'd rather Madden have it than not have it, but requiring the user to hold down the R2 button, while pressing the buttons, to cycle through receivers wasn't necessary, and nor was the actual cone; many thought the cone was an eyesore. I feel feature would've been better received had they simply required the user to press the button once to make the QB look at the receiver, and a second time to throw it.
I have always agree that the actually "vision cone" of the mechanic was what initially turned so many off about it, never really understood why a simple "lit icon" under the receivers within the "vision" of the QB wasn't used instead. That simple adjustment in concert with the double tap would have at least been better received, imo.

That said, the lack of the receivers being untethered from the pass and ball physics was still a core issue in Madden, no matter how well QB vision would've been implemented. I never had an issue with QB skill differential in that other game, even though a better version of QB vision could have possibly been a great addition or compliment to the way that game did it but not a standalone substitute.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2014, 08:20 PM   #206
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4

On topic w the QB Vision / Receiver Targeting System: what about the scrambling situation?

If I choose to lock on to my receiver on the right pre-snap - what disturbance, if any, will be caused by me now rolling left?

I appreciate the head-tracking and targeting logic in its form and would be in favor of its return - my only concern is how the logic is applied.

I also like the idea BFD alluded to regarding the target being lit up - I liken this to the "open" indicator that is already present.

A spotlighted receiver should light up while the others somewhat fade into the background.

Check-down reads would now actually look like checkdowns as you will seldom look at your runningback immediately after the snap.

This would be a tremeandous opportinity for user and cpu defenders to bite or jump on a spotlighted player just as they should when you spotlight a player from the defensive side - the target for the QB actually lighting up would resonate w me more.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk

Last edited by hanzsomehanz; 07-01-2014 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:33 PM   #207
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4

It was '05 that introduced the hit-stick and '06 the vision cone - now '14 introduced the tackle-cone: hopefully '15 will bring back a focus on QB vision.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:34 PM   #208
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzsomehanz
Om topic w the QB Vision / Receiver Targeting System: what about the scrambling situation?

If I choose to lock on to my receiver on the right pre-snap - what disturbance, if any, will be caused by me now rolling left?

I appreciate the head-tracking and targeting logic in its entirety and would be in favor of its return - my only concern is how the logic is applied.

I also like the idea BFD alluded to regarding the target being lit up - I liken this to the "open" indicator that is already present. A spotlighted receiver should light up while the others somewhat fade. This would be a tremeandous opportinity for user and cpu defenders to bite or jump on a spotlighted player just as they should when you spotlight a player from the defensive side - the target for the QB actually lighting up would resonate w me more.

If Madden had a proper base passing system with the receivers untethered from the ball/pass, independent ball physics and ratings modifier parameters, the bold wouldn't be an issue. Just think of basketball games and the way a shot is affected by if the player has their feet set, a defender in their face, etc. The QB vision lit icon would just be a complimentary system allowing for representation of "looking off defenders" and "staring down receivers".

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »