Home

Why Is Madden Still Not Available On PC At This Point?

This is a discussion on Why Is Madden Still Not Available On PC At This Point? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 10:29 AM   #97
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Why Is Madden Still Not Available On PC At This Point?

I was a PC user back in the day and once the PC version was bought and modded, it played much better than the console versions.

If I had a gaming PC rig, I'd purchase Madden quicker than an eyelash.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:36 AM   #98
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
You missed a very important point.
4) Madden 08 PC was really Madden 07 360 with updated rosters. I'm pretty sure that had a great deal of affect on PC sales vs console sales. If you wanted the latest Madden, you got the console version. You really can't compare PC and console sales because you really are comparing apples to oranges. If PC got the same love and attention as the console, then you would be comparing apples and apples.

Show me a PC sports game that is selling even a quarter of what its console brethren are in the US. The NBA 2k series (until next gen started in Nov.) is the same version on PC and on last gen consoles (except for custom soundtracks). Same with Fifa. Same with PES. These games all get the "same love" as the console versions and they arent selling in the US. So you dont have the "well it wasnt the same version of the game" argument for those games and those are the only non-text AAA sports titles on the PC.

FYI, Fifa and PES's next games will be the same as the next gen version.

OS members always overestimate how important they are to the market. Most people dont know mods are available for PC games. Most sports fans dont want to deal with the hassle of ensuring that your cpu is compatible with a pc game to get it to run a top quality when they dont have to worry about that with a console. ****, even people who know about mods dont always want to install them because the process can be difficult at times.

Dont get me wrong. I love sports games on the PC. I used to mod the hell out of the NBA Live and PES series. I would probably go back to PC gaming if I was willing to spend the money on a Gaming PC. I just recognize that the sales arent there in the US for sports games and thats what matters to EA when there is no international market for a sport.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:42 AM   #99
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

The only caveat I'd say is that I don't think sales figures from Steam or EA Origin are reported to anyone except the developers; NBA 2K is on Steam and FIFA is on EA Origin, so the numbers from VGChartz probably are somewhat off.

That said, my guess is that the difference isn't really substantial enough to change the crux of the issue, that sports games in general don't sell in the United States on PC. I'm not sure I've ever seen NBA 2K on the best-sellers list for PC on Steam, for example.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:47 AM   #100
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
These games all get the "same love" as the console versions and they arent selling in the US. So you dont have the "well it wasnt the same version of the game" argument for those games
But hasn't your argument been that there isn't a market substantial enough to justify Madden on PC? Our point is that if the PC did get the "same love" as the console versions, then there just might be a substantial enough market regardless of the console sales numbers.

Agree to disagree I guess.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:57 AM   #101
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamehead
But hasn't your argument been that there isn't a market substantial enough to justify Madden on PC? Our point is that if the PC did get the "same love" as the console versions, then there just might be a substantial enough market regardless of the console sales numbers.

Agree to disagree I guess.
My post supported that argument. I just gave you three recent sports games that got the "same love" and they arent selling in the US on PC. Fifa and 2k are the #2 and #3 selling sports games in the US and they cant do significant PC numbers in the US. Why would we assume Madden would be different?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2014, 11:02 AM   #102
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Why would we assume Madden would be different?
One might assume Madden would be different because the NFL is more popular in the US than those other sports, and if given the "same love" as the consoles, would have a large enough market share to warrant it.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:06 AM   #103
Run After Catch

OVR: 13

I got all fired up just looking at this thread. If I could pick just one thing related to the Madden franchise that I'd most like to see, it would be a PC version of the game.

I agree with the notion that PC players would be better served by something built specifically for them as opposed to a console port. It could be a different revenue model, price point, etc. and maybe even a different feature set. Ideally they'd do something that's more of a sustained project with regular updates as opposed to the annual boxed product like what we see for console.

I know the PC community could do all sorts of stuff with the right set of tools and FWIW I think there's a lot of opportunity here. The PC landscape has changed drastically since the time we last saw a Madden title on PC.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:13 AM   #104
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamehead
One might assume Madden would be different because the NFL is more popular in the US than those other sports, and if given the "same love" as the consoles, would have a large enough market share to warrant it.
Thats a heck of an assumption. Again OSers always argue that EA is all about the money and that EA doesnt waste an opportunity to generate revenue. If thats the case and the market was really there, EA would release the game on PC. The market is there internationally and they release FIFA on PC every year.

The safer assumption is that EA's looked in to this and doesnt think the market is there. That assumption is supported by the comments EA has stated over the past few years about Madden on PC.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »