Home

Why Is Madden Still Not Available On PC At This Point?

This is a discussion on Why Is Madden Still Not Available On PC At This Point? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 09:45 PM   #113
You know why I'm here...

jWILL253's Arena

OVR: 25
Re: Why Is Madden Still Not Available On PC At This Point?

It has very little to do with sales, or at least I don't think it's the sole reason. FIFA & NBA 2K are worldwide sellers, sure, but they are also WAY bigger targets for piracy for that very reason. Not every country has a DMCA-style law to prevent piracy (not that the DMCA means jack **** to pirates anyway. An unenforceable law that only hurts legit consumers), and not every country allows for full EULA enforceability like the US does. Hell, Idk if the EU allows for EULA's that supplant consumer law. It is also important to note that NBA Live hasn't had a PC version since Live 07, which would fly against the argument for a particular sport's worldwide presence and influence.

The bottom line: EA is a very petty company, in every way. For me, it breaks down into a few simple reasons:
  1. Modding. There is a HUGE Madden 08 PC community that not only has added the cosmetic stuff like updated uniforms, rosters, & equipment... but they also add new animations to the game, like laterals and extra juke moves. They even found a way to add practice squads & IR placements freeing up roster spots. If EA was petty enough to destroy the football market when they knew & acknowledged (in court, no less) that their product couldn't hang with the competition, then they are petty enough to avoid PC due to their inept devs at Tiburon being shown up by people with less time & less resources, but plenty of passion. But even simple things like removing DRM (because DRM only hurts paying customers; Pirates are always ahead of the curve). EA knows that PC gamers know their way around.

2. Pricing. What a console gamer will pay for a game is drastically different from what PC gamers are willing to pay for the same game, especially one with dubious quality like Madden. With the advent of Steam, the perception of the price to value ratio has changed PC gaming dramatically. And with that said, I question as to whether or not PC gamers would be willing to pay $60 for Madden as an Origin exclusive. FIFA is a different thing because of its worldwide appeal, but even then, there is a gulf of quality that exists between FIFA & Madden, depending on your perspective. Even at $60 + Origin, FIFA gets away with it because it's a better product.

3. Lack of monetization options. This correlates to the first bullet very well. There are games on PC that have save editors & executable hacks that can add anything to a game. For instance, the "credits" currency in Mass Effect 3. I can download a save editor for ME3 right now that not only changes in-game content, but also allows me to add or remove in-game currency (I could also download Cheat Engine & look for parameters that control certain in-game elements, then change those elements in real-time, but it's a lot harder to do that). Or in terms of cosmetic items, currency, & DLC sold via microtransactions (like the EA Football Club stuff in FIFA). If any of that is already locked within the game's code (like a certain Capcom game), I can just look in the packaged files, or wait for someone to hack those files and finds a way to unlock those items for in-game use. Or, if those elements have to be downloaded, I can just wait for someone to upload a torrent that contains all the DLC & microtransactions, or wait to purchase a game until there is a Game of the Year edition of a game, or a Steam sale of a game + DLC marked at 70% off. All of the above mean that EA really has no feasible way to monetize PC games because the workarounds for that are so relatively easy to implement/carry out, that piracy methods are seen as a drastic last result that most PC gamers would like to avoid just out of respect for the developer.

I just want to point out that just because the above methods exist for PC gamers to use, doesn't mean that all PC gamers use them, or that PC gamers are pirates. It's just to illustrate that PC gamers have numerous ways to avoid any inconveniences that EA would throw at them. And EA knows that. EA (and most other publishers) know that any kind of business models & strategies that work on console would be ruined by the PC crowd. That's why consoles have such a large focus from publishers in the first place: more control over both the marketplace and its consumers, as well as piracy being way less of an issue.

In fact, I would go as far as saying that EA only deals with PC gaming because they have to; for certain genres, it's too big to ignore, especially on the online gaming front. That said, it seems like they avoid it with their most precious cash cows like most America-focused EA Sports titles...

Last edited by jWILL253; 07-02-2014 at 09:56 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:14 PM   #114
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

@jWILL253, I enjoyed the post but the main question I ask is, why aren't those things a concern for EA with regard to FIFA? I would agree with the opinion of EA being petty in relation to certain things but is it to the extent where they are flexing their muscle or peacocking just with Madden/EA Football?

I don't play many other EA Sports titles enough to really know but isn't Madden one of the most User restrictive of its' titles, in relation customization? Are sliders broken or wonky in other EA sports titles and many options gamers are accustomed to, not available like in Madden?

I ask all this trying to discuss if there could be any merit to EA simply wanting a tighter leash on football, for whatever reason.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:51 PM   #115
You know why I'm here...

jWILL253's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
@jWILL253, I enjoyed the post but the main question I ask is, why aren't those things a concern for EA with regard to FIFA? I would agree with the opinion of EA being petty in relation to certain things but is it to the extent where they are flexing their muscle or peacocking just with Madden/EA Football?

...I ask all this trying to discuss if there could be any merit to EA simply wanting a tighter leash on football, for whatever reason.
The bolded is pretty much the answer. EA wants no threats to its cash cow.

FIFA is popular enough to recoup any losses it might have on the PC front, and has enough quality to avoid any real threat from competition. But, as popular as it is, Madden is THE cash cow for EA; they can spend less in R&D compared to FIFA, and make back enough money to recoup the license costs and then some. But, Madden is also the most volatile and vulnerable. EA knows it has the hardcore NFL crowd because there's no other option for the hardcore NFL crowd, but as soon as their is an option, a large portion of the hardcore are gonna flock over just out of curiosity for something new. They even acknowledge as much in Percover v. Electronic Arts, Inc. They also know that Madden doesn't have enough quality and value to stand on its own merits as a $60 game outside of the console market. If any of the PS360 versions of Madden were ported to PC, they'd be pirated to hell and back because PC gamers won't pay $60 bucks for that kind of quality (or lack thereof).
Old 07-03-2014, 12:08 AM   #116
Just started!

OVR: 0

I am all for a PC version, actually i still play Madden 08 from time to time for the hell of it. I have a few assumptions that i didn't see when i glanced over a few parts of this thread. TL;DR, but from what i saw they weren't mentioned.
  1. EA has tried. The transfer from madden from the Sixth Gens to the Seventh Gens was too much work to re-port to the PC. I feel this is right because Madden 06, 07, and 08 all had Sixth Gen graphic when Seventh Gen graphics were available. Why else wouldn't EA Have Seventh Gen graphics on the last 3 versions available? EA got lazy, didn't want to put in the effort going into the new generation, and gave up. They realized the sales weren't substantial enough to continue on a platform that at least half of the could-be sales were going to be obtained for free.

Coming into the Eight Gen, they stayed with the lazy tradition of doing right for their own little micro-economy.

2. Controls. Another big deal is controls. I really do believe that being good on madden PC is impossible without a controller. If your going to buy a game just to play it with a controller then why not just buy it for a console?
Old 07-03-2014, 12:14 AM   #117
Rookie

AmericasTeam's Arena

OVR: 1

Madden is anything but EA's cash cow. That's reserved for FIFA and Battlefield. It makes me giggle a little with all the talk of EA not producing a madden pc game because they're afraid the modding community will show them up.

If there was enough money to be made, EA would be all over it. Just because one company produces on said platform, doesn't mean another deems it profitable enough to mess with.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2014, 12:50 AM   #118
You know why I'm here...

jWILL253's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericasTeam
Madden is anything but EA's cash cow. That's reserved for FIFA and Battlefield. It makes me giggle a little with all the talk of EA not producing a madden pc game because they're afraid the modding community will show them up.

If there was enough money to be made, EA would be all over it. Just because one company produces on said platform, doesn't mean another deems it profitable enough to mess with.

Then why go through multiple bouts of litigation just to settle out of court anyways, if EA didn't think Madden was its flagship? Why even have the exclusive deal in the first place?

Also, you're forgetting a huge part of why the industry behaves the way it does: pride. EA doesn't want to get shown up by anybody, whether it be modders, 2K, or Activision. Hell, if EA could sign an exclusive deal for first-person shooters that could only be played on consoles, it would.

It's the same reason why Square Enix decided to announce the long-requested localization of a 3 year old Japan-only PSP game, Final Fantasy Type-0 (for next-gen consoles), during E3 after only 2 days of the fan translation patch for the game being completed and released: No publisher wants to deal with the bad PR of being inept at making games & making good business decisions, especially at the hands of people who don't get paid to do so.

Last edited by jWILL253; 07-03-2014 at 01:00 AM.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:20 AM   #119
Rookie

AmericasTeam's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jWILL253
Then why go through multiple bouts of litigation just to settle out of court anyways, if EA didn't think Madden was its flagship? Why even have the exclusive deal in the first place?

Also, you're forgetting a huge part of why the industry behaves the way it does: pride. EA doesn't want to get shown up by anybody, whether it be modders, 2K, or Activision. Hell, if EA could sign an exclusive deal for first-person shooters that could only be played on consoles, it would.
EA had to front the money to keep the business. Madden may not generate the highest revenue, but would have been a significant loss in revenue had they not been granted the rights to the exclusive deal. At the time, it probably saved Madden. 2K was positioned to give EA a good thumping. Madden could have very easily turned out to be like NBA Live.

Agree to some degree about pride, but that hasn't stopped EA from producing other franchises it deems profitable on pc, nor has it stopped them from producing the most lacking and mediocre sports franchise for the last 10 years on any platform. If EA was driven more by pride, resources would have been allocated toward obviously lacking areas of the game instead of gimmicks to create more sales or revenue after the initial purchase.

Money > Pride

Old 07-03-2014, 08:25 AM   #120
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
... I guess we are discussing if PC sales would be enough for EA to make a profit, not compare how much profit with consoles.
Not really though. A company like EA isn't just looking for profits, it's looking for the best profits possible. Resources spent on a project with limited profits is, in their view, probably better spent on a project with better prospects.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »