Home

Why Is Madden Still Not Available On PC At This Point?

This is a discussion on Why Is Madden Still Not Available On PC At This Point? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 01:32 AM   #121
Rookie

juduking's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Why Is Madden Still Not Available On PC At This Point?

Peter Moore stated over 5 years ago it was one hundred percent because of game piracy that Madden will never be on PC under his watch.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2008/04/...-madden-for-pc

Last edited by juduking; 07-08-2014 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Added link for proof
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-08-2014, 05:08 AM   #122
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Don't see where he said it was 100% because of piracy.

After mentioning piracy:

"Moore knows he "pissed off a lot of people," but said the sports genre is still a challenging genre on the PC. EA designs sport games to take advantage of plasma screens and real life social interactions. These are fields that the PC business has just "waned."

The former vice president of Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Business division continues to believe in a "PC gaming renaissance," but stated that sports may not be a part of that movement. He asserts that the PC is good at the "two-foot, lean-in experience" but sport games are best enjoyed with a "ten-foot, lean-back" approach.

From Gamespot:

from his official blog when they decided to stop bringing Madden to PC:

Echoing sentiments expressed by various other gaming execs, Moore said EA Sports would be scaling back its efforts on the PC on account of the platform's troublesome economic climate.

"The PC presents some very serious business challenges to us in the sports category, particularly because so many of you all are playing your favorite sports games on the PS3, Xbox 360, and Wii," said Moore. "We are committed to shipping a limited number of our games on the PC this year, but we've also had to cut a few of our games from the platform."

However, EA Sports hasn't abandoned the most venerable of gaming platforms quite yet. "We do have ideas for how to revitalize the PC for sports games and the types of games that are best suited to the platform, and we'll continue to explore those," said Moore.

-----------------------------
Seems it's taking them longer than expected to revitalize the PC sports gaming... SMH

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS

Last edited by Skyboxer; 07-08-2014 at 06:39 AM.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:15 AM   #123
Rookie

NicVirtue's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
Don't see where he said it was 100% because of piracy.

After mentioning piracy:

"Moore knows he "pissed off a lot of people," but said the sports genre is still a challenging genre on the PC. EA designs sport games to take advantage of plasma screens and real life social interactions. These are fields that the PC business has just "waned."

The former vice president of Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Business division continues to believe in a "PC gaming renaissance," but stated that sports may not be a part of that movement. He asserts that the PC is good at the "two-foot, lean-in experience" but sport games are best enjoyed with a "ten-foot, lean-back" approach.

From Gamespot:

from his official blog when they decided to stop bringing Madden to PC:

Echoing sentiments expressed by various other gaming execs, Moore said EA Sports would be scaling back its efforts on the PC on account of the platform's troublesome economic climate.

"The PC presents some very serious business challenges to us in the sports category, particularly because so many of you all are playing your favorite sports games on the PS3, Xbox 360, and Wii," said Moore. "We are committed to shipping a limited number of our games on the PC this year, but we've also had to cut a few of our games from the platform."

However, EA Sports hasn't abandoned the most venerable of gaming platforms quite yet. "We do have ideas for how to revitalize the PC for sports games and the types of games that are best suited to the platform, and we'll continue to explore those," said Moore.

-----------------------------
Seems it's taking them longer than expected to revitalize the PC sports gaming... SMH

Being that FIFA is on PC, I doubted piracy is what was "100%" keeping them from releasing sports games on PC.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:03 AM   #124
Rookie

juduking's Arena

I can see that, and it makes sense. I just took it as him saying piracy was why they stopped all together with Madden. It has confused me to this day that EA has made countless PC titles that come out on console every year and have not reported major losses due to piracy. Mass Effect, Battlefield, Dead Space, The Sims, and Fifa come to mind as clear arguments to his case.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:14 PM   #125
Pro

OVR: 8

To think piracy has anything to do with this is laughable. Why is FIFA on PC then? The argument should start and stop right there.

The game was taken off PC because it just didn't move enough units. That decision was made at a time when the PC was in a bit of a down side, and it is now undoubtedly in the middle of an upswing.

I still maintain that at some point in this console generation, both Madden and NHL will come to PC again. PC Gaming is doing well and EA has their exclusive Origin distribution system to push. It might even just be for one year, but they'll be back at some point. If NBA 2K can be released for PC going on 7 years now (for half price,) EA Sports can sure as hell bring these 2 games back.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2014, 09:58 PM   #126
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mva5580
To think piracy has anything to do with this is laughable. Why is FIFA on PC then? The argument should start and stop right there.

The game was taken off PC because it just didn't move enough units. That decision was made at a time when the PC was in a bit of a down side, and it is now undoubtedly in the middle of an upswing.

I still maintain that at some point in this console generation, both Madden and NHL will come to PC again. PC Gaming is doing well and EA has their exclusive Origin distribution system to push. It might even just be for one year, but they'll be back at some point. If NBA 2K can be released for PC going on 7 years now (for half price,) EA Sports can sure as hell bring these 2 games back.

If u run a search on this thread u will see why FIFA is still on PC. I'm not explaining that again. Lol.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:34 PM   #127
Banned

NYGiants4Natic's Arena

I have little respect for anybody who illegally downloads games for PC. They are the main reason why PC gets short end of the stick when it comes to sports games.

Fifa does well all over the world and the fact that EA makes tons of money on Fifa on all platforms makes it an easy choice to throw it at PC as well

When Madden sells as much as Fifa or close to it which will never happen then you will see Madden on PC because then EA would get more end value then worrying about some piracy.

PS: I also do not think giving a reason that you download illegally to see if it is worth $60 is a valid excuse to piracy.

That is like saying I go to Outback and tell the manager....I want a steak dinner and I will pay for it only if I think it tastes good.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:36 AM   #128
You know why I'm here...

jWILL253's Arena

OVR: 25

The steak analogy doesn't work. A steak meal from a restaurant can be anywhere from $4 - $20, depending on the restaurant, and is a perishable novelty that is owned once it's paid for.

A PC game is not a perishable item, and will sell anywhere from -$10 to $60, and there is no true ownership of the product itself, only the license to play it. There is also no option of resale and little to no options for refunds on a PC game. So, buying a PC game is literally a one way transaction most of the time, with very little options for a user who isn't satisfied with his/her initial investment.

Not saying I support piracy, but it's just a poor analogy, given the context...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »