Home

Why Is Madden Still Not Available On PC At This Point?

This is a discussion on Why Is Madden Still Not Available On PC At This Point? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
F1 2021 Review - One for the Ages
EA Sports PGA TOUR to Include Brand New Swing Mechanics, Three Click Swing Returns
FIFA 22 Gameplay: Breaking Down the Latest Details
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)
Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 09:12 AM   #9
Banned

OVR: 11
Re: Why Is Madden Still Not Available On PC At This Point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
is it that EA doesn't want the modding community to get their hands on Madden PC to show them up or something else entirely?
I wonder if that's a big part of it. There's always some excuse why they can't do this or that--imagine if a group of modders created mods to do this or that, then the community would ask very legitimate questions to EA along the lines of "if these modders could do it, why couldn't you?" Console gamers would get even more resentful of EA and so on.

Why oh why can't this development/publishing house just give us a Madden that just really impresses?
Old 06-29-2014, 10:43 AM   #10
Underdog

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBall Life
There is a part of me deep down that says the dev team doesn't want decent coders having a closer look at their work.
Most of the time, one can't get access to source code of a compiled C++ application. Decompilers exist, sure, but the results would be generally unintelligible unless one really knows what they are looking for.

That said, the question of "why isn't Madden on PC?" is one I've been asking recently as well. It has nothing to do with IGNITE - FIFA 15 will use the IGNITE engine on PC - and I would assume that piracy concerns are minimized on account of the proliferation of controlled content delivery systems such as Steam and Origin (undoubtedly the game would be exclusive to Origin in a hypothetical release, though).

I would guess modding may be a concern, as developers under the EA brand tend to go out of their way to make modding really hard for the end user for some reason. DICE refuses to release map making tools for Battlefield 4, for example. Frankly this concern is backwards, IMO; the way I see it, user-generated content extends the life of a game, and ergo its popularity and potential sales numbers for later games in the series.

As SageInfinite alluded to, though, sales numbers is probably the most likely reason why we don't see it.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 06-29-2014 at 01:28 PM. Reason: I accidentally a word
Old 06-29-2014, 11:14 AM   #11
Rookie

AmericasTeam's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
As SageInfinite alluded to, though, sales numbers is probably the most likely reason why we don't see it.
Come on CM, you know it has to be some other reason other than a logical one. This is Madden were talking about here on OS. It has to be some big elaborate made up conspiracy. What else could it be?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2014, 11:55 AM   #12
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericasTeam
Come on CM, you know it has to be some other reason other than a logical one. This is Madden were talking about here on OS. It has to be some big elaborate made up conspiracy. What else could it be?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
I laughed or at least smirked when I read this because even though you're probably just joking around, that's certainly how it can seem sometimes at a glance. However when looking a little closer it becomes evident that speculation about what the true motives behind x is concerning Madden or EA in general, is because the things they tell us don't logically add up.

In relation to the thread title, off the top of my head I remember two original schools of thought on why EA didn't put out a Madden PC, piracy and sales. I seem to remember EA themselves citing the piracy concerns but like CM stated earlier, the advent of Steam/Origin have made that a none factor for all intents and purposes, yet still no Madden PC.

As far as the "sales" argument, to my knowledge I don't recall EA ever making this claim and it's just as speculative as any EA conspiracy charge because I don't know of any facts to back it up. Like I stated before, I don't recall some drop in PC sales for Madden 2008 from Madden 2007 and considering the new high end PC style development touted for current consoles, the cost benefit for a PC version would presumably be even better now.

All that said, the biggest oddity for me in all this, like CM also mentioned, FIFA is available on PC, so whatever the reason(s) for Madden still not being on PC, how does that or them not apply to FIFA?

All that leads me back to my original point, conspiracy and/or speculation follow Madden and often EA in general, not because most people love to hate on them or they're so fascinating, it's because of a lack of transparency to make sense of the ish they do, lol.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:02 PM   #13
Underdog

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

With respect to FIFA, FIFA sees very strong sales internationally (not surprising, soccer is an international game). It actually sees the bulk of its sales in Europe, not the United States (though it sells reasonably well on this continent as well) and is easily the best-selling sports title on the market. In contrast, Madden never has seen strong sales outside of the United States on consoles (or PC, before the SKU was dropped after Madden 08).

Still doesn't fully explain no Madden on PC, IMO, but it's a data point to consider.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:02 PM   #14
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I laughed or at least smirked when I read this because even though you're probably just joking around, that's certainly how it can seem sometimes at a glance. However when looking a little closer it becomes evident that speculation about what the true motives behind x is concerning Madden or EA in general, is because the things they tell us don't logically add up.

In relation to the thread title, off the top of my head I remember two original schools of thought on why EA didn't put out a Madden PC, piracy and sales. I seem to remember EA themselves citing the piracy concerns but like CM stated earlier, the advent of Steam/Origin have made that a none factor for all intents and purposes, yet still no Madden PC.

As far as the "sales" argument, to my knowledge I don't recall EA ever making this claim and it's just as speculative as any EA conspiracy charge because I don't know of any facts to back it up. Like I stated before, I don't recall some drop in PC sales for Madden 2008 from Madden 2007 and considering the new high end PC style development touted for current consoles, the cost benefit for a PC version would presumably be even better now.

All that said, the biggest oddity for me in all this, like CM also mentioned, FIFA is available on PC, so whatever the reason(s) for Madden still not being on PC, how does that or them not apply to FIFA?

All that leads me back to my original point, conspiracy and/or speculation follow Madden and often EA in general, not because most people love to hate on them or they're so fascinating, it's because of a lack of transparency to make sense of the ish they do, lol.
When all else fails, blame Tiburon, lol. You can't expect that team to work on Xbox 360, One, Ps3 and 4, AND PC can you? I mean cmon Big they're not miracle workers, they just got wind to work, let them live....

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 06-29-2014, 12:03 PM   #15
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
With respect to FIFA, FIFA sees very strong sales internationally (not surprising, soccer is an international game). It actually sees the bulk of its sales in Europe, not the United States (though it sells reasonably well on this continent as well) and is easily the best-selling sports title on the market. In contrast, Madden never has seen strong sales outside of the United States on consoles (or PC, before the SKU was dropped after Madden 08).
I was thinking the same thing.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2014, 12:17 PM   #16
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:

Still doesn't fully explain no Madden on PC, IMO, but it's a data point to consider.
My rebuttal, if it can be called that, is that the same holds true for FIFA on consoles, yet Madden is still available on consoles. Meaning, even though FIFA is a world wide brand, the Madden NFL brand is popular enough to justify not only selling Madden NFL but also paying for an exclusive license.

To simplify, Madden NFL sells enough to warrant making that year after year and paying for the branding, considering the presumed lower cost of porting a PC version now and already having the branding, PC sales wouldn't have to be astronomical to turn a profit.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »