Home

Why Is Madden Still Not Available On PC At This Point?

This is a discussion on Why Is Madden Still Not Available On PC At This Point? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
How SDS Can Improve the 'Full Minors' Feature for MLB The Show 21
Top 10 Shootout Players to Fear in NHL 21
Skatebird Preview - Updated Hands-On With New Rooftop Level
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)
Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 09:49 PM   #25

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Why Is Madden Still Not Available On PC At This Point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEBB2001
I have a reason. Because otherwise SOME PEOPLE won't purchase the game at all.

I will never purchase another Madden game until one of the following occurs:

1) Madden becomes something that can actually rival the overall game-play/franchise/etc. of NFL 2K5

OR

2) Madden becomes available on the PC so people like me can MOD the hell out of it.

Until one of these two happens, EA will NEVER get a dime from me. I would even be willing to pay upwards of $100 for a PC game or a great Madden on the console. How about THAT for a reason?

It's up to EA to prove to me that they deserve my money, but as of right now, they don't deserve a single cent.
And they would cater to you why?

If you buy a game that can be modded on the PC would you ever need to buy the game again?

Their goal is year to year sales. Not once every five years.

I do think however that it has more to do with international sales than anything else.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2014, 09:53 PM   #26
MVP

jmurphy31's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis

If you buy a game that can be modded on the PC would you ever need to buy the game again?

I do think however that it has more to do with international sales than anything else.
I agree. There are people still modding madden 08 for the pc. They updated player pics, uniforms , etc.

More than likely it's about the sales. Or lack there of
Old 06-29-2014, 10:20 PM   #27
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

I think DCEBB makes a good point and it's sorta what I was getting at in the OP. If it's accurate that porting a game already being made for PS3/360 consoles over to PC, wasn't that costly, then it begs to reason that it's even less costly with PS4/Xbox1 development being even closer to high end PCs, Madden on PC would seem like a no risk proposition, in regard to sales. Meaning the most likely outcome would be increased revenue, not a loss.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2008/0...-of-madden-09/

.....EA's Peter Moore commented about the lack of a PC version on his official EA blog. "We knew that our decision to not develop this year’s Madden for the PC would be an unpopular decision in some circles," Moore admitted. "But I'll reiterate what I said a couple of weeks ago in this space... the PC presents some very serious business challenges to us in the sports category, particularly because so many of you all are playing your favorite sports games on the PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii. We are committed to shipping a limited number of our games on the PC this year, but we’ve also had to cut a few of our games from the platform."......

......While to some the loss of a PC version of a series built to legacy on consoles may seem trivial, there's no question that a definitive statement has been made by EA. Given the concurrent development of an Xbox 360 version, a PC port would not be too costly an endeavor. And for the hardest of hardcore football fans, the PC versions of Madden were often the version of choice: after all, they were the only versions that allowed user-generated content and roster updatability.

Peter Moore acknowledged that it would be "an unpopular decision in some circles" and I presume some in those circles were buying Madden PC. This was back in 2007 when piracy was much more of an issue, imo, so again it seems to me there is more to this now than Madden PC wouldn't make profit. Also, I remember either during this same time or shortly after came the whole "monetize" the consumer statement from Moore, which of course seems much easier to execute on consoles.

So I'm guessing that while Madden PC would turn a profit, EA wouldn't be able to monetize the PC gamer year round the way they can console gamers, to maximize profit, so they don't bother.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:42 PM   #28
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I think DCEBB makes a good point and it's sorta what I was getting at in the OP. If it's accurate that porting a game already being made for PS3/360 consoles over to PC, wasn't that costly, then it begs to reason that it's even less costly with PS4/Xbox1 development being even closer to high end PCs, Madden on PC would seem like a no risk proposition, in regard to sales. Meaning the most likely outcome would be increased revenue, not a loss.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2008/0...-of-madden-09/

.....EA's Peter Moore commented about the lack of a PC version on his official EA blog. "We knew that our decision to not develop this year’s Madden for the PC would be an unpopular decision in some circles," Moore admitted. "But I'll reiterate what I said a couple of weeks ago in this space... the PC presents some very serious business challenges to us in the sports category, particularly because so many of you all are playing your favorite sports games on the PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii. We are committed to shipping a limited number of our games on the PC this year, but we’ve also had to cut a few of our games from the platform."......

......While to some the loss of a PC version of a series built to legacy on consoles may seem trivial, there's no question that a definitive statement has been made by EA. Given the concurrent development of an Xbox 360 version, a PC port would not be too costly an endeavor. And for the hardest of hardcore football fans, the PC versions of Madden were often the version of choice: after all, they were the only versions that allowed user-generated content and roster updatability.

Peter Moore acknowledged that it would be "an unpopular decision in some circles" and I presume some in those circles were buying Madden PC. This was back in 2007 when piracy was much more of an issue, imo, so again it seems to me there is more to this now than Madden PC wouldn't make profit. Also, I remember either during this same time or shortly after came the whole "monetize" the consumer statement from Moore, which of course seems much easier to execute on consoles.

So I'm guessing that while Madden PC would turn a profit, EA wouldn't be able to monetize the PC gamer year round the way they can console gamers, to maximize profit, so they don't bother.
Thats a bit of a leap. You completely ignore that Moore said that the "the PC presents some very serious business challenges to us in the sports category." That means its either a financial challenge or a resource/manpower challenge. Neither one of those things would be considered a challenge if the PC game was a revenue generator.

Removing a version of the game is always going to be unpopular in some circles. I'm sure there are some Wii fans who are furious that the game no longer comes out on that console too. Just because those circles exist doesnt mean they are significant.

Also why would piracy be less of an issue now than in 2007? Internet speeds are faster now. Back in 2007, I would have to leave my computer on all day to download a 2GB file (the size of Madden 08) and worry about possible disconnects. Now I can download the file in less than a 30 minutes.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:50 PM   #29
MVP

DCEBB2001's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis

I would HOPE that they would cater to me for my money. When Madden was on the PC, I bought it EVERY YEAR from 1999 to 2008. Back then, they actually made the game better. Most of the modding, that I am aware of, came after they stopped making the game for the PC (the FF/Football Idiot guys). Every year was great because I got to make rosters, draft classes, etc. I never even thought about not buying it one year because I could MOD it.

The short answer is that you COULD opt to buy it every year if you want realistic stats, schedules, etc in your game from year to year. Play it for a year, see where it goes in your franchise, and then buy it the next year. That was fun to me. Seeing how much play I could get out of it. I recall several Maddens on the PC getting the full 30 years out of franchise mode.
NFL Scout
www.nfldraftscout.com/members

Petition to EA for FBG Ratings:
https://www.change.org/p/ea-sports-t...bers-index-php
Old 06-29-2014, 10:53 PM   #30
MVP

DCEBB2001's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphy31
I agree. There are people still modding madden 08 for the pc. They updated player pics, uniforms , etc.

More than likely it's about the sales. Or lack there of
One of the reasons many people are still modding Madden 08 is because they have no other choice of a more recent game to play on the PC in the Madden series. They are forced to MOD the crap out of it to get it up to date with today's uniforms, stadiums, rosters, etc.

I am willing to bet that if EA released Madden 15 on PC, the modding of Madden 08 would come to a screeching halt.
NFL Scout
www.nfldraftscout.com/members

Petition to EA for FBG Ratings:
https://www.change.org/p/ea-sports-t...bers-index-php
Old 06-29-2014, 11:02 PM   #31
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
One of the reasons many people are still modding Madden 08 is because they have no other choice of a more recent game to play on the PC in the Madden series. They are forced to MOD the crap out of it to get it up to date with today's uniforms, stadiums, rosters, etc.

I am willing to bet that if EA released Madden 15 on PC, the modding of Madden 08 would come to a screeching halt.
It would be a very niche market, though.

Heck, back in 2007, desktops were more popular than laptops.

Now, I don't know many people who own a desktop.

I'm assuming you'd need a gaming laptop to download Madden if you don't have a desktop.

Last edited by roadman; 06-29-2014 at 11:12 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2014, 11:10 PM   #32

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
I would HOPE that they would cater to me for my money. When Madden was on the PC, I bought it EVERY YEAR from 1999 to 2008.
But how many of YOU are there?

It's easy as a consumer to demand they cater to you individually but you have to view it from the companies standpoint.

In all likelihood, there just aren't enough customers out there like you to warrant it.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »