Home

Why Is Madden Still Not Available On PC At This Point?

This is a discussion on Why Is Madden Still Not Available On PC At This Point? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
F1 2021 Review - One for the Ages
EA Sports PGA TOUR to Include Brand New Swing Mechanics, Three Click Swing Returns
FIFA 22 Gameplay: Breaking Down the Latest Details
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)
Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 08:40 AM   #41
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Why Is Madden Still Not Available On PC At This Point?

I barely know anything about programming, but Im fairly sure it does not take that much effort to port a game over to PC, isn't all next gen consoles running x86 cpu? And I thought all games are first developed on PC? when you see videos of teams developing games, they are always developing them on a PC.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2014, 09:11 AM   #42
Oh Deer!

m1ke_nyc's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Smif
You mean to tell me an NBA game can make more money on PC than the all mighty NFL?
No what im saying is these are 2 different companies. 2K sports may decide that selling 10k copies of NBA2K on PC is worthwhile for them. EA may say selling 10k copies of Madden on PC just isnt worth it fincancially for their company.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:18 AM   #43
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
You mean to tell me an NBA game can make more money on PC than the all mighty NFL?
Yes, internationally. The NFL doesnt sell in Europe and Asia. The NBA does.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:20 AM   #44
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
I barely know anything about programming, but Im fairly sure it does not take that much effort to port a game over to PC, isn't all next gen consoles running x86 cpu? And I thought all games are first developed on PC? when you see videos of teams developing games, they are always developing them on a PC.
Its not extremely difficult but it isnt as easy as you think.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:33 AM   #45
Underdog

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Assuming the game is built on Windows, they'd have to remove any calls to XBOX One / PS4 SDK functions in the code and either wrap those functions themselves or find a similar PC SDK to build upon. I imagine that porting from the XBOX One would alleviate this somewhat, since both the XBOX One and Windows PCs can leverage DirectX for rendering-related functions, but it's still a non-trivial amount of work.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:38 PM   #46
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
The bold is what confuses me and hope people that understand software development might can speculate about and expound on. If developing for the current consoles is so much like high end PCs like so many developers claimed, then it seems that porting Madden over to PC now would be as cost effective as ever. Also, in the other threads on this topic of Madden on PC, I don't recall anyone posting a huge sales drop for Madden 2008 from Madden 2007, the last two years it was available on PC.
Big, whatever high end language they are using, tools could be built to be able to port the high end language code (compilers, linkers). If the CPU architecture is the same as PC's, then the Machine language should be portable. The one are I see that would not be directly portable is if they are doing code instructions straight to the video card and not through some library. PC's would have different video cards, and that code would have to be redone.

So if
The game is written mainly in a high level language, compilers, linkers would make that part of the code portable.
The CPU machine code is the same (same CPU as PC) the machine code would be portable.
The video coding is done through a library and not straight to the video card, this would also be portable.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:39 PM   #47
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEBB2001
I don't really care how many people like me are out there. The fact is that there is a market for EA to tap into that they are not tapping into. I have NBA 2K on the PC, and it is pretty sweet, and as a result, they will continue to get my $30 every year. I just don't like it when EA takes things away from you that used to be standard, that's all. If EA made Madden available on more platforms, they would increase their sales. Sure, maybe they won't increase the margin much, but at least you would gain some people back who would continue to buy year after year.
This is my line of thought and why imo, EA winning that "worst company in America" online vote has merit. They come across as caring far more about profit than their brand image, when the two should or at least could be synonymous. Even if Madden on PC was a break even proposition, it would be good for the brand image to provide it for consumers, at no cost to the company.

I'm sure my bias against EA is showing but that bias is based on my interpretation of their business practices, which I believe are often out to exploit the consumer versus providing a quality good or service for profit. That ties into the thread topic because I speculate that's a core reason Madden is still not available on PC, even though it could presumably be offered to the "circles" that want it, at no cost to EA and help the brand image.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:49 PM   #48
Rookie

NicVirtue's Arena

OVR: 0

To be entirely honest, I highly doubt EA wants the modding community to do things better than they ever could.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »