Home

Why Is Madden Still Not Available On PC At This Point?

This is a discussion on Why Is Madden Still Not Available On PC At This Point? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
How SDS Can Improve the 'Full Minors' Feature for MLB The Show 21
Top 10 Shootout Players to Fear in NHL 21
Skatebird Preview - Updated Hands-On With New Rooftop Level
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)
Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 05:26 PM   #65

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Why Is Madden Still Not Available On PC At This Point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
The same reason people buy OOTP year after year when it's basically a baseball mod kit?

I mean, why buy OOTP15 when you can do it on OOPT14 as well? Yet, people buy OOTP15.
That's not the question I asked though, I said "would" you need to, not will you.

If Madden isn't confident enough in their product it's quite conceivable that they would be worried about repeat sales.

I'm not saying there people who wouldn't.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2014, 05:38 PM   #66
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4

FIFA15 will be featured on PC

The PC Market is growing but I am not optimistic that it would be worthwhile at this time for EA Sports to return Madden to PC.

The Soccor universe is so much larger than American Football - EA Sports can afford to market their FIFA brand there because of the vast target audience that is present there, in house and especially offshore.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2014, 06:07 PM   #67
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
That's not the question I asked though, I said "would" you need to, not will you.

If Madden isn't confident enough in their product it's quite conceivable that they would be worried about repeat sales.

I'm not saying there people who wouldn't.

There's always things that only the actual coders can change. Also, even if a mod is awesome - those who don't play mods or play online would need/want that incorporated into the vanilla game.

So, if I was an online player of Madden and I had Madden 15 on PC and someone made a mod that put the 2015 draft class in, I couldn't play that online. Ranked play would (and should) be vanilla only, and online play could have the same requirement.

So, yeah, I would (as in, be required to) get next year's game if I wanted to keep playing online game modes - ladder games or otherwise.

Even franchise mode - there could be something that only Tiburon could put in the game, like fixing the GM logic, or adding in a new feature (say practice squads and scout teams) that would require altering the code within either the .exe or some datafile that would very hard for even a good modder to make work (and then it goes back to the universal nature - if you're in an online CCM, everyone would probably need the same version, or, again, allow only vanilla).

What it would also require, though, is improvement in games that a modder could not match. In that sense, yeah, I imagine they'd be worried about repeat sales (of course, that could also drive them to make sure that level of improvement is in - improving both the console offering and the PC offering if they do it right -- yeah, I know).

However, for online play, they can just have the server check the version. If you're not at Madden 16 - no servers for you. Offline franchises and local multiplayer may be a tougher sell, but that might not be a whole lot different than consoles.

Last edited by KBLover; 06-30-2014 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:25 PM   #68
MVP

DCEBB2001's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusefan
EA doesn't want your $30, they want your $60. I really think people are over thinking this; EA used to make madden for PC so they know what to expect for revenue. Since they stopped the PC version that probably means it's not a worthwhile venture.

I have a very powerful PC and I still would buy madden for my xbox since that is where my friends play.

And yet, I also said that for Madden on the PC, I would pay $100 or more for it. Why? Because my PC is a gaming machine that can outdo the PS4 or Xbox One. So, if EA's opinion is that they will only sell me a crappy, bug-filled, unrealistic video game for $60 or give me nothing at all, well, then I guess I will stick to NBA 2K for the PC.

EA doesn't want to give me what I want for $100, and I don't want what they have to offer for $60.
NFL Scout
www.nfldraftscout.com/members

Petition to EA for FBG Ratings:
https://www.change.org/p/ea-sports-t...bers-index-php
Old 07-01-2014, 03:36 AM   #69
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haval93
I'm an indie dev and use DirectX for rendering.

Madden can very easily be released on PC. Xbox One and PS4 are both using x86 processors which is the standard for PCs. This means you can write native code for all three platforms and have it working without any changes. Games are coded on the PC and then ported onto the consoles. As for the rendering side of the game, the game is more than likely using DirectX. And with the new generation of consoles both supporting DirectX 11(PS4 uses something very similar). This allows programmers to write the same DirectX code on consoles as well as PC which saves a lot of time. This allows consoles developers to scale accordingly to the power of the consoles. So without going into the depths of programming, the simple answer is yes Madden can easily be released on PC, it's just a decision made by EA to not do so. Whether those be business reasons, developer allocation, or piracy concerns.
"Games are coded on the PC" is a bit of a misleading statement. Games are coded in source code. Whether you do that on Mac, Windows or Linux, and x86, PPC or ARM doesn't really matter. Source code doesn't do anything by itself - it needs an interpreter or a compiler, and these are either themselves compiled to an arch/platform, or compile to an arch/platform. Part of any medium plus sized software development team these days is a remote build process that normalizes build environments between developers, so the development machines themselves don't matter.

The fact the compiler for XBOne and PC may very well be similar isn't really the point. It is far more important that the OS and hardware APIs used in the code are as close as possible. Now, I don't know how close PS4 and XBOne is in this regard, but I'm guessing they are fairly different. So XBOne and PC, both being Microsoft, would probably be much closer, but keep in mind that most MS Windows PCs out there today would be running a version of Windows developed well before the XBOne, and there are a a whole host of other issues to consider as well.

tl;dr - I think people make too much of the arch similarities between the new consoles and PC, when using the argument that it should mean more games for PC. Madden used to be ported from PS2 to PC on the cheap by a 3rd party company for EASports (HeadGate Studios). That's about as different as you can get, but it was still just a matter of rewriting all the API calls and compiling to x86, which is pretty much exactly the same process now days.

Last edited by Nza; 07-01-2014 at 05:22 AM.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:59 AM   #70
Rookie

Big T120588's Arena

OVR: 0

Fifa is bring the Ignite engine to the PC. So, I don't see why Madden couldn't be on PC either.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:37 AM   #71
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T120588
Fifa is bring the Ignite engine to the PC. So, I don't see why Madden couldn't be on PC either.
It was explained earlier in this very thread that FIFA sells a lot of copies internationally vs Madden isn't as popular overseas.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2014, 12:01 PM   #72
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35

I have to believe that the reason that Madden is not on PC is because the PC modding community is very good and could keep the game fresh well into next year which would eat into their sales. Releasing games on PC is flat out cheaper just because you can go all digital and there are no royalties.

If it did release on PC though people would still complain, "ughhh why do I have to use origin"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »