Home

Old 07-15-2014, 02:09 PM   #17
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Jump Balls in M15

@strawberryshortcake, yeah man, posters like OnlyLT have been referring to the read n lead passing from NFL Fever for years and that other football game had a separate physics engine for the actual football.

That's what so frustratingly disappointing about this stuff because most, if not all of it, has already been done before, better.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:34 PM   #18
Pro

Dj_MyTime's Arena

OVR: 5

We're in an updated rosters franchise on X1, and I have a 6'5 240lb WR by the name of Kelvin Benjamin, and I have NO TROUBLE at all completing deep passes and rising above DB's with his size to make plays that I couldn't when I had a small WR like Steve Smith still on my roster.

Personally I'm not sure where the complaining comes from, it took a 15 mins or so to get the timing down via practice mode, and it can be done with WR's 6'2 or taller fairly easily as long as they have good cth/cit/jmp/spc (speed was not a factor either, Benjamin has 84-86 spd for me iirc).

So if you're still having trouble, look for off coverage, whether zone or man, vs press the timing is more sensitive, but the INT rate of 9/10 times hyperbole (we play on increased sliders also aka tougher than base all-madden).

Now I'm not saying Madden is perfect and that there weren't better features at some point prior, but it is 100% DO-ABLE in the current game.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2047473988

Last edited by Dj_MyTime; 07-15-2014 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:08 PM   #19
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26

Rocket Catches weren't a big deal if the corner got underneath and attempted a swat, but most defenders just didn't want to allow someone behind them. Well, there is your trade off, allow the catch and deny the touchdown. If you get boxed out by a bigger WR TE, you shouldn't be able to just go through him to break up the pass.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:34 PM   #20
MVP

wordtobigbird's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
Ball and player operating independently....

Has anyone ever played NFL Fever 2004? From the looks of it, the ball and player operates independently in the sense that the gamer literally controls where s/he wants to throw the ball. And both the receiver and defensive back needs to react to the ball, organically, and doesn't looked scripted at all. If you want to throw the ball 10 plus feet in front of the receiver, you can.

With the feature, if you wanted to, you can pretty go 0/25 in pass plays if you wanted to, throw as many interceptions as you 'wanted' to, etc. The gamer is in control here.

Maybe jpdavis can send this video to the developers.

@3:15 mark (organic incomplete pass),

@3:27 mark (pass over the top),

@3:44 mark (complete overthrow),

@4:01 mark (completely under throw your receiver),

@4:10 mark (under thrown, diving catch),

@4:37/@4:52 marks (under throw receiver, receiver needs to adjust and completely plant his foot, or stumble in place plant his foot before going upfield),

@5:10 mark (reason why this is a very good feature),

@6:03 mark (defender pretty much out of position, and had to adjust and swat the ball, looks really organic).

NFL Fever 2004

Man I actually use to play that game but I don't remember that feature at all..

My first thought was: EA would never do this because Madden would be too hard. Now is this new dev team really going toward simulation? We'll see what they do with the passing game.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:37 PM   #21
MVP

wordtobigbird's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj_MyTime
We're in an updated rosters franchise on X1, and I have a 6'5 240lb WR by the name of Kelvin Benjamin, and I have NO TROUBLE at all completing deep passes and rising above DB's with his size to make plays that I couldn't when I had a small WR like Steve Smith still on my roster.

Personally I'm not sure where the complaining comes from, it took a 15 mins or so to get the timing down via practice mode, and it can be done with WR's 6'2 or taller fairly easily as long as they have good cth/cit/jmp/spc (speed was not a factor either, Benjamin has 84-86 spd for me iirc).

So if you're still having trouble, look for off coverage, whether zone or man, vs press the timing is more sensitive, but the INT rate of 9/10 times hyperbole (we play on increased sliders also aka tougher than base all-madden).

Now I'm not saying Madden is perfect and that there weren't better features at some point prior, but it is 100% DO-ABLE in the current game.
Hold on, I don't think anyone is complaining about not being able to complete deep balls? I know I'm not. I have no problem executing anything in Madden to be honest, Madden is a really easy game. Which is why last time I played with 3 QB accuracy slider and 75 INT slider. So actually completing deep balls is not an issue.. I am talking about the realism of the jumpballs.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2014, 02:41 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 0

I actually posted this in the EA forums. Jump balls in ps2 were so fun and the better user won, didn't matter what side. If the better player used calvin against ellis hobbs and uered it he won. That's real, he should win. Bring it back!
Old 07-16-2014, 03:01 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdone3007
I actually posted this in the EA forums. Jump balls in ps2 were so fun and the better user won, didn't matter what side. If the better player used calvin against ellis hobbs and uered it he won. That's real, he should win. Bring it back!
No...because that is selective memory and not an honest assessment of the way things were done when the Rocket Catch was all the rage in H2H play...

That is why people know who Brian Finneran is at all. The only thing that mattered in the old RC-days of Madden were spectacular catch and jump ratings and height. Then as long as the timing of the throw was right, it was an indefensible play. It became the cornerstone of damn near every online and tourney player's offense and it was goddamn annoying because using normal counters like trying to double team with help over the top was usually pointless.

There has to be ball physics, throw physics, WR-DB jostling AND abilities tied into the success rate of those kinds of throws or the game will be a wasteland of constant fades again...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »