Home

Madden NFL 15 Gauntlet Mode Teaches You How to Play Football, Get Better at Madden

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 15 Gauntlet Mode Teaches You How to Play Football, Get Better at Madden within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-12-2014, 02:01 PM   #49
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Madden NFL 15 Gauntlet Mode Teaches You How to Play Football, Get Better at Madde

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNMHIII
My point was that creating an arcade type mode with silly games to teach people football is perfect for targeting children not adults. I don't see 30+ gamers buying Madden and investing much time in that mode, but children may actually only play that mode because it might be funner for them than calling plays and trying to play full games without all the arcade style stuff they might be used to in other games they play.
You're missing the point, though. People - of any and all ages - buy video games to have fun. Fun doesn't require realism. A look at the most popular video games released is proof positive of that.

These boss battles people keep harping on - which are only one component of this gauntlet mode, not the entire thing - they're designed to be fun video game challenges, absent any real-life context. Nothing more, nothing less.

Quote:
In addition, adults that do invest time in that mode to get them comfortable/hooked on football might be as disappointed as a lot of us that the players just don't move properly/react properly/look properly and the game just feels flat and boring after one release and never buy it again.
Speculative at best. Equally valid speculation - said adults come to value Madden as an interactive football teaching tool - the only one that will exist come August, as far as I know - and buy it year after year to make sure they are keeping up with the latest strategies and trends in the game and to increase their knowledge base.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:19 PM   #50
Rookie

ozzy57's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Madden NFL 15 Gauntlet Mode Teaches You How to Play Football, Get Better at Madde

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
This feature is not about you, or for that matter anyone on Operation Sports.

It's about the people who haven't yet played Madden NFL at all.
I understand what they are trying to do the problem is most people tend to just play a quick game at first and often never want to go through tutorials. I know some people who just look for the first cheap TE streak no huddle glitch and that's it. I don't know what is going to be in this mode all the way through but if they are "trying for a realistic game" then they definitely need to tell new users not to get discouraged and abandon the run game when they get stopped for a loss of yards or only get 2-3 yards on a couple runs.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:28 PM   #51
MVP

MajorSupreme's Arena

OVR: 0

Remember when we had paper guides that came in the cases?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2014, 02:30 PM   #52
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I haven't read all the posts ITT so it's possible others have touched on this, are the lessons complimented with applicable gameplay changes to CFM/Play Now/Online in Madden 15 or is this the first step to teach gamers these things, then at some point have them required for success in gameplay for other modes? I'm asking that as a serious question too, while I wouldn't agree with that design choice, I could still follow its' logic.
Gauntlet mode will have lots of specific special moves training to get players comfortable with the controls. But most importantly, for me anyway, is that it will show you step by step what reads to make to discern what coverage the D is in, and what to audible from there.

I think I know a lot about football, but I guess I know nothing about defense. That'll help a lot.

When it comes to head to head matches, I think strategy and countering tactics (ie the "chess match element" in football) should be 75% of the battle, and stick skills during the play should make up the other 25.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:45 PM   #53
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
You're missing the point, though. People - of any and all ages - buy video games to have fun. Fun doesn't require realism. A look at the most popular video games released is proof positive of that.

Are you trying to tell "me" what "fun" means to "me"?

"Fun" is very subjective. I only find "Fun" in a sports video game if and only if it is based on realism.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:51 PM   #54

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
Really, another renamed feature.
What was the previous name of this feature? I don't ever remember it in a previous Madden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
If it's about those that have not played at all, why even post it on a Sporting Gaming Forum for feedback to be given?

Everyone that has a profile and is posting on this site has had some type of experience with Madden.

So to me the topic is concerning the OS Community because feedback is being invited.
Huh? EA didn't post it anywhere and invite feedback. Another poster, just like you simply posted it and now it's a discussion. Am I missing something?
Old 07-12-2014, 03:39 PM   #55
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22

This sounds like a lot of fun especially if it's similar to last gens mini camp drills. I played those a ton even outside of Franchise Mode. Hopefully they continue to expand on this to include players and schemes. Differences in different defensive formations, what players do better in which scheme, etc for CFM. I would like to be able to hand a controller to someone who has no knowledge of football and let Madden explain how football is played. Not just the controls.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2014, 06:54 PM   #56
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
Are you trying to tell "me" what "fun" means to "me"?
No. I was speaking in the general case. I never mentioned you. I'm not sure how you could have possibly interpreted my statement as an affront.

Quote:
"Fun" is very subjective. I only find "Fun" in a sports video game if and only if it is based on realism.
Yes, fun is subjective. For you, "fun" requires realism. Based on the popularity of dozens of other games in sci-fi, high fantasy, medieval, and steampunk settings, plenty of other people do not share that definition.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »